Lone Star College

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.3

Administrator Interview

I responded to an online posting for this position. They contacted me to set up a phone interview. I had the phone interview which was about 20 minutes long. The questions were not really job-specific--they were more focused on my approach to tackling difficult tasks; participating as a team member; and working independently.

Interview Questions
    • Question of questionable value: What would you do if you witnessed another employee stealing office supplies?   Answer Question

Salary and the gut feel that it wasn't worth putting up with a lot of unprofessional behaviors.

Economics Tutor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Lone Star College.

requires experience with economics

Work Study Interview

One interview on the spot

Program Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Lone Star College.

Very quick. Good clear guidelines. Strong sense of team values exuded interview. Overall it was a good feel and everyone seemed genuinely interested in my opinion. It was a bit intimidating, however, to be meeting with upper management on the call back interview. Still, I was made comfortable and felt they were genuinely concerned with my ability to perform the job, not something arbitrary or superfluous to the job.

Interview Questions
    • Had short notice to prepare a presentation. Still, it worked out fine.   Answer Question
    Negotiation is not permitted except with respect to start date.

SOAR Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lone Star College.

You first apply online and send letters of recommendation, then get an email if they request an interview. Once there, 3 people take turns to ask basic interview questions. Other people got different questions but I saw their question bank so just be prepared by googling basic interview questionnaires. Then they email you if you got it or not.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were too difficult, just basic interview questions like "What's your weakness? How do you work under pressure, what is one thing you would change about the college? What is something you would want students to know about Lone Star?"
      Be honest because they are easy going and really get to know you once you start working there.

View Answer
    No negotiation, just however many hours you decide to work.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Lone Star College.

Process included a 30 minute phone interview, all day face-to-face interview that included meeting with multiple stakeholder groups, campus tours, and end of day exit interview with a committee member.

Interview Questions
    There is a set scale for positions that is tied to job level, education background, years of experience, and job field.

Instructional Technologist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Lone Star College in January 2012.

I was contacted by one of the managers about the position via email first. We arranged to speak by phone the next week. When she called me for the phone interview, she had an entire panel of people in the room, some were faculty members and some were other IT staff in addition to herself. She didn't tell me in advance that this would be the case. Her not telling me made the interview process more nerve wrecking. None of the people on the phone made any effort to be friendly. The whole process was very cold and impersonal, which made it extremely difficult for me to "sell myself." At the end of the twenty minute time frame, she just said they would let me know next steps the next week. She abruptly ended the call without asking me if I had any questions! I pretty much knew I wasn't going to hear back from them after that and I haven't since the call. I don't think they were really interested in me to begin with, being that I'm an out of state candidate. They were just going through the motions, but it sure was a waste of my time and theirs.

Interview Questions
    • List all the techologies that you know of both related and unrelated to instructional technology (lecture capture, web collaboration, classroom)   Answer Question
    • How would you assist a faculty member with a flash based application on an ipad?   View Answer

Part-Time Librarian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lone Star College in September 2011.

I initially received a phone call to schedule a phone interview. The receptionist was very friendly and personable. My call was scheduled for an afternoon. The call took between 30-45 minutes. It was a conference call with three of the librarians, and they were all easy to talk to. I was called the next day to schedule a face-to-face interview a week later. The face-to-face interview was pleasant; it was 4 of the staff, including 3 librarians and the director of the library. The questions were typical interview questions. The interview panel seemed like they would have been great to work for, and I could tell they enjoy their work. I received a contingent offer for the position the next morning from the director of the library.

Interview Questions
    • While I felt none of the questions were too difficult for me to answer, I can share a couple: A patron is not able to print from their computer in the computer lab; how would you address this issue?   View Answer
    • How would you handle bibliographic instruction for a course?   View Answer

I really wish I could have taken the position, but after making the drive out for the face-to-face interview I realized it was just too far of a drive for me -- 40 miles one way -- for a part-time position. I explained in my response why I was unable to take the position, and that if I was closer I would have happily accepted their offer. The director was appreciative of my honesty and wished me luck in my pursuits. If only transporters existed!

Student Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lone Star College in July 2010.

The interview process went well. I was asked many questions about myself and I was in a panel discussion.

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Lone Star College in July 2010.

I submitted an initial application online. The department head contact me a couple of weeks later asking if I was still interested. She asked me to bring my resume in with me for a 1:1 interview. The interview was very conversational. She asked why I like teaching and why I chose mathematics. She offered me a position at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    Salary fixed, no negotiation.