Lone Star College

Very Easy Interview

Adjunct Faculty Interview

Adjunct Faculty
Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Lone Star College in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interview directly with the department chair. There are no committees or anything else. The department chair hires you on the spot and gives you the books you'll need. You'll have to meet with the secretary to fill out a few forms that HR needs to get you in the system.

Interview Question – As long as you're qualified for the position, you don't have to answer any of the questions. The interviewer will answer them for you. They have so many part-time positions to fill and not enough applicants. They will take anyone who can breathe at least a little   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None at all. Just fill out the required forms and undergo a background check. As long as you don't have any felonies, you are ready to start.

Administrator Interview

Administrator

Interviewed at Lone Star College

Interview Details – I responded to an online posting for this position. They contacted me to set up a phone interview. I had the phone interview which was about 20 minutes long. The questions were not really job-specific--they were more focused on my approach to tackling difficult tasks; participating as a team member; and working independently.

Interview Question – Question of questionable value: What would you do if you witnessed another employee stealing office supplies?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary and the gut feel that it wasn't worth putting up with a lot of unprofessional behaviors.

Economics Tutor Interview

Economics Tutor

I applied online and interviewed at Lone Star College.

Interview Details – requires experience with economics

Work Study Interview

Work Study

Interviewed at Lone Star College

Interview Details – One interview on the spot

Program Coordinator Interview

Program Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Lone Star College.

Interview Details – Very quick. Good clear guidelines. Strong sense of team values exuded interview. Overall it was a good feel and everyone seemed genuinely interested in my opinion. It was a bit intimidating, however, to be meeting with upper management on the call back interview. Still, I was made comfortable and felt they were genuinely concerned with my ability to perform the job, not something arbitrary or superfluous to the job.

Interview Question – Had short notice to prepare a presentation. Still, it worked out fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is not permitted except with respect to start date.

SOAR Leader Interview

SOAR Leader
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Lone Star College.

Interview Details – You first apply online and send letters of recommendation, then get an email if they request an interview. Once there, 3 people take turns to ask basic interview questions. Other people got different questions but I saw their question bank so just be prepared by googling basic interview questionnaires. Then they email you if you got it or not.

Interview Question – None of the questions were too difficult, just basic interview questions like "What's your weakness? How do you work under pressure, what is one thing you would change about the college? What is something you would want students to know about Lone Star?"
Be honest because they are easy going and really get to know you once you start working there.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, just however many hours you decide to work.

Director Interview

Director
The Woodlands, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Lone Star College.

Interview Details – Process included a 30 minute phone interview, all day face-to-face interview that included meeting with multiple stakeholder groups, campus tours, and end of day exit interview with a committee member.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected during my interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is a set scale for positions that is tied to job level, education background, years of experience, and job field.

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
The Woodlands, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Lone Star College in October 2009.

Interview Details – Application must be done in the iStar System (PeopleSoft). The hiring committee reviews and selects the finalists, followed by a phone interview to weed out candidates to usually about 5-3. The hiring committee refers three candidates to the executives and a recommendation. The executives make the final decision. The candidate is notified within a few days of the decision.

Interview Question – There are usually a couple of procedural questions (e.g. given the following scenario... what would you do...) the point is to prioritize and get an insight in attitudes and creativity.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no real negotiation, They offered an entry salary based on pre-determined scale based on academic credentials and experience.

Department Assistant Interview

Department Assistant
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Lone Star College in June 2010.

Interview Details – Phone Call to go over some preliminary questions first. Why Lone Star, why this position, why this department, are you good at working independently, are you aware of and comfortable with the salary range, etc. Then they call you in to schedule an interview. There is a group of people sitting around a table that will be working in the same office as you, so apparently they get to sit in on the process, which I found weird. If they are not an everyday part of the department or the director's supervisor, then why are they there to help interview? They ask pretty standard interview questions like greatest strength, weakness, tell me about a time you had to train someone else, learn a new skill, overcome obstacles, etc.

Interview Question – What is the greatest set back you have had to overcome at work and what did you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pretty much non-negotiable. There are set ranges and my experience, we both knew, did not warrant the top limit of the range. It was just take it or leave it and we will move on to candidate number 2.

Very Easy Interview

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Adjunct Instructor
Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Lone Star College in July 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted an initial application online. The department head contact me a couple of weeks later asking if I was still interested. She asked me to bring my resume in with me for a 1:1 interview. The interview was very conversational. She asked why I like teaching and why I chose mathematics. She offered me a position at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – What do you enjoy most about teaching?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary fixed, no negotiation.

Worked for Lone Star College? Contribute to the Community!