Lone Star College Interview Questions & Reviews

15 interviews

2.2

Adjunct Faculty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at Lone Star College in July 2010.

Interview directly with the department chair. There are no committees or anything else. The department chair hires you on the spot and gives you the books you'll need. You'll have to meet with the secretary to fill out a few forms that HR needs to get you in the system.

Interview Questions
    • As long as you're qualified for the position, you don't have to answer any of the questions. The interviewer will answer them for you. They have so many part-time positions to fill and not enough applicants. They will take anyone who can breathe at least a little   Answer Question
    None at all. Just fill out the required forms and undergo a background check. As long as you don't have any felonies, you are ready to start.

Administrator Interview

I responded to an online posting for this position. They contacted me to set up a phone interview. I had the phone interview which was about 20 minutes long. The questions were not really job-specific--they were more focused on my approach to tackling difficult tasks; participating as a team member; and working independently.

Interview Questions
    • Question of questionable value: What would you do if you witnessed another employee stealing office supplies?   Answer Question

Salary and the gut feel that it wasn't worth putting up with a lot of unprofessional behaviors.

Economics Tutor Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Lone Star College.

requires experience with economics

Work Study Interview

One interview on the spot

Program Coordinator Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Lone Star College.

Very quick. Good clear guidelines. Strong sense of team values exuded interview. Overall it was a good feel and everyone seemed genuinely interested in my opinion. It was a bit intimidating, however, to be meeting with upper management on the call back interview. Still, I was made comfortable and felt they were genuinely concerned with my ability to perform the job, not something arbitrary or superfluous to the job.

Interview Questions
    • Had short notice to prepare a presentation. Still, it worked out fine.   Answer Question
    Negotiation is not permitted except with respect to start date.

SOAR Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lone Star College.

You first apply online and send letters of recommendation, then get an email if they request an interview. Once there, 3 people take turns to ask basic interview questions. Other people got different questions but I saw their question bank so just be prepared by googling basic interview questionnaires. Then they email you if you got it or not.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were too difficult, just basic interview questions like "What's your weakness? How do you work under pressure, what is one thing you would change about the college? What is something you would want students to know about Lone Star?"
      Be honest because they are easy going and really get to know you once you start working there.
        View Answer
    No negotiation, just however many hours you decide to work.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Lone Star College.

Process included a 30 minute phone interview, all day face-to-face interview that included meeting with multiple stakeholder groups, campus tours, and end of day exit interview with a committee member.

Interview Questions
    There is a set scale for positions that is tied to job level, education background, years of experience, and job field.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Lone Star College in October 2009.

Application must be done in the iStar System (PeopleSoft). The hiring committee reviews and selects the finalists, followed by a phone interview to weed out candidates to usually about 5-3. The hiring committee refers three candidates to the executives and a recommendation. The executives make the final decision. The candidate is notified within a few days of the decision.

Interview Questions
    • There are usually a couple of procedural questions (e.g. given the following scenario... what would you do...) the point is to prioritize and get an insight in attitudes and creativity.   Answer Question
    There is no real negotiation, They offered an entry salary based on pre-determined scale based on academic credentials and experience.

Department Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lone Star College in June 2010.

Phone Call to go over some preliminary questions first. Why Lone Star, why this position, why this department, are you good at working independently, are you aware of and comfortable with the salary range, etc. Then they call you in to schedule an interview. There is a group of people sitting around a table that will be working in the same office as you, so apparently they get to sit in on the process, which I found weird. If they are not an everyday part of the department or the director's supervisor, then why are they there to help interview? They ask pretty standard interview questions like greatest strength, weakness, tell me about a time you had to train someone else, learn a new skill, overcome obstacles, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What is the greatest set back you have had to overcome at work and what did you do?   View Answer
    Pretty much non-negotiable. There are set ranges and my experience, we both knew, did not warrant the top limit of the range. It was just take it or leave it and we will move on to candidate number 2.

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Lone Star College in July 2010.

I submitted an initial application online. The department head contact me a couple of weeks later asking if I was still interested. She asked me to bring my resume in with me for a 1:1 interview. The interview was very conversational. She asked why I like teaching and why I chose mathematics. She offered me a position at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    Salary fixed, no negotiation.

Worked for Lone Star College? Contribute to the Community!