Lonely Planet Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014
Updated Sep 11, 2014

Interviews for Top Jobs at Lonely Planet

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lonely Planet.

I talked to an internal recruiter for an introductory chat. This was good - set the expectations for both sides. Since a developer was not available (vacation or sick or both). They gave me an take home assignment. It was not a difficult assignment, just time consuming. I was applying for a Ruby on Rails position and hence I used Rails to solve the problem. After reviewing my assignment, they decided not to continue. They provided feedback (which I appreciated) but it was a disappointing to find out why they decided not to continue.

They specified that I used deprecated methods (which wasn't the case, I double checked after since I started to doubt my choice). They thought Rails was difficult to setup (again, applying for a Rails position). They seemed to have a lot more comments about the tests rather than the code, so beware.

Interview Questions
    • Take home assignment - not that difficult, but time consuming   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lonely Planet in November 2013.

Applied for position online and heard back for initial phone interview within a day or less. Completed the initial phone screening and then scheduled a video interview with some engineers in Melbourne later on in the week. Once that was scheduled interviewed with two engineers and discussed my previous work history, what my background was and how I got to where I was currently at.

Interview Questions
    • How do you add a large quantity of email addresses to Google Apps?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lonely Planet in November 2013.

Submitted my resume, Had an initial phone screening, Had a Skype interview with developers in Austraila, Had a face to face with the number 2 and number 3 person of the company.

Interview Questions
    • How much experience do you have with Commvault and DFS   View Answer

Decided to stay with the company I am with currently

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lonely Planet in May 2009.

Panel interview with several tech questions... very tough questions, if you get one right you should be proud. They are not interested in right or wrong answers, just how you think.

Interview Questions
    • Given a scenario with 4 possible avenues of resolution.. select the best.. was difficult as I did not know what the organization values were.. key is to ask questions.   Answer Question
    Not much room for neg as they had a salary in mind already.

Worked for Lonely Planet? Contribute to the Community!