Lonza Biologics

Updated Nov 23, 2014
Updated Nov 23, 2014

2.9

Project Manager Interview

The job application was made online. After a round of phone interview with HR and the hiring manager, a face to face interview was arranged with the hiring manager and colleagues in the same department. The travel (flight in this case) was reimbursed. An offer was made after one round of face to face interview.

QC Microbiologist Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lonza Biologics in March 2013.

A round robin formatted interview involving multiple staff members from different departments within the company. Each had their own set of questions based on what they each felt was most important within their branch of work. A quick tour of the labs was also done. The staff seemed friendly and enthusiastic about their work.

Interview Questions
    • Name a specific time in your life where you had to leave specific written directions for someone.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Lonza Biologics.

standard round of interviews. Some standard techinical and background questions.

Interview Questions
    • explaining how you would go about solving a certain development situation.   View Answer
    Open and honest, multiple rounds.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walkersville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walkersville, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Lonza Biologics.

The interview process was very pleasant. I did enjoy meeting the people that work there. Be prepared for a full day or two of interviewing with many people. Wear comfortable shoes as there is a great deal of walking involved. Be prepared with questions and be ready to talk. They leave a lot of time for discussion, any candidate that can not make conversation will not get through. All candidates that must give presentations on your work be prepared for many in depth questions.

Interview Questions
    • How many golf balls does it take to fill a school bus?   Answer Question
    Push for the highest offer you can get, raises are very small and not given often, once every 3 years maybe. Don't take a job at a lower level and think you can move up, they do not promote from within.

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Lonza Biologics in November 2011.

I met with the hiring manager, within 1 week several interviews were set up with team members. Over three days I met with groups of people for 30 minutes at a time. Most of the interviewers asked the same questions. I did get to spend quite a bit of time talking with the hiring manager over several days. Many of the systems were set up when I started the new job, if not set up, it was clear what i needed to do, which is far better than figuring it out for yourself.

Interview Questions
    • How are you going to deal with difficult people to work with, like your current boss?   Answer Question
    I tried, however management and HR couldn't even meet me half way (2 or 3 percent) because of "HR Policy". Instead of starting my new job pumped about being recognized, I entered it as a learning opportunity to make me more marketable for other jobs. I'm not sure they realize that.

Plant Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Lonza Biologics in November 2010.

This was a very different interview experience. They brought all of the prospective candidates in at the same time and put us in separate rooms where we met with 1 or 2 people who asked only behavioral based questions. No questions were ever asked of your technical skills or knowledge. I was however asked why I bothered going through the trouble to get a master's degree which I thought was very strange.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation in which you introduced innovation.   Answer Question
    • Explain a situation in which you had to convince others of your opinion.   Answer Question
    • Explain a situation in which others changed your opinion.   Answer Question

Process Validation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lonza Biologics in August 2010.

The first interview I met with 3 associates and the hiring manager for the department. The interview lasted 2 hours; each person interviewed me for 30 minutes.

I was called back for a second interview which was suposed to be a group interview/round robin. This was unfortunatly canceled due to a car accident. It was reschedualed for me after the other canidates had already had a reschedualed round robin---this did not sit well with me. Neither did the associate performing the interview. I thought it was very unprofessional to lay out my compitition and their flaws, then laugh at what they found to be my flaws.

I will add that the interview I had 3 years ago (for the position I am currently in with Lonza) was a positive experiance. The interview mentioned above was personally asked of me by the hiring manager from that department. I did not get the job, but I would not have accepted the position due to the unprofessionalness displayed during the second interview. It was a truely dissapointing experiance.

Interview Questions
    • Name one thing you've quit/failed at and how did you deal with it.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Lonza Biologics in February 2010.

The hiring process was slow and during the interview they did not ask much. It was clear that they were only hiring for manual help and not for the sake of a long term career (although that is how they tried to advertise it). So if you do not care about your career, then the hiring process is easy.

Interview Questions
    They have no room/budget to negotiate.

Senior Manufacturing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Lonza Biologics in January 2010.

The interview process is multi-layered. You will interview with many department to see where you fit

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult employee?   View Answer
    Never take the first offer. even if they say it's the best they can do, they can do better.

Manufacturing Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lonza Biologics in July 2009.

I applied online through monster.com. I sent a detailed cover letter and a 2 page resume listing my previous experience. I was surprised to get a phone call from them, since monster.com is not the best place to look for a job. They asked me if I was still interested and available and I agreed. They e-mailed me a questionnaire and sent me a detailed schedule for a 7 hour interview. Upon my arrival, the front desk assistant gave me a visitor's badge and directed me to the conference room where the interviews were to take place. One by one several managers and supervisors interviewed me with the standard interview questions everyone uses. Then they left me waiting for 15 minutes and the HR rep came in to discuss salary range. I left and they called back 3 days later with an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have experience in the biotech industry?   View Answer
    I did not negotiate much, since I had been unemployed for a very long time and really needed the job. At the time I was happy with my salary, but later I realized I can earn up to 30K more in other companies.