Lord Abbett & Co.

Relevance Date Difficulty

Director Interview

Director
Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Lord Abbett & Co. in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was brought in through a recruiter. The process was very slow moving for whatever reason, and they brought me in for three separate rounds of interviews with varying levels of the department.

Interview Question – I don't recall any difficult or unexpected questions. However, I was surprised during my last interview with the partner in charge of the department when he told me that they would be making me an offer. I had never experienced being told of a forthcoming offer during the interview process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was satisfied with the salary offer, so I didn't attempt to negotiate. However, I did negotiate being eligible for a salary increase at fiscal year-end, which was six months after I joined the firm.

Regional Consultant Interview

Regional Consultant
Jersey City, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lord Abbett & Co. in August 2011.

Interview Details – A 2 interview process. Most people hired for the internal desk had someone pass along their resume. The first interview is via phone. Simple interview (walk me through your resume, why finance, why sales, etc.). If you get through that, you will need to do a Caliper test and the in person interview consist of about 4 interviews with different people. Similar to the phone interview; walk me through your resume, why sales, why Lord Abbett.

Interview Question – What was your biggest regret in college?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Since I was hired, the base pay has increased but still lags the industry.

Regional Consultant Interview

Regional Consultant
Jersey City, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Lord Abbett & Co. in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1.Phone interview.
2. In person interview. Met with three managers. Good cop/bad cop. Sat with wholesaler for 20 minutes.

Interview Question – random market question.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant
Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Lord Abbett & Co. in August 2013.

Interview Details – I landed the initial interview through a NYC recruiter at the end of August. Everyone who interviews for any position at this organization always has to get through interviewing with the HR Manager first. If you are successful, the HR Manager will let your recruiter know and they will call you back to interview with the people you might work with/for. If you are not successful, the HR Manager will also provide that feedback to your recruiter, and your recruiter will let you know that the HR Manager passed.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Lord Abbett & Co. in August 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter at a staffing agency about the position. Had initial phone conversation with her and was called in for in-person interview at the company within 2 days. Met with hiring manager and two other team members. Though from the outside, the environment looks conservative and serious, everyone I met with was friendly and welcoming.

Interview Question – What are your thoughts about the position, now that you've heard more about it?   Answer Question

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Internal Wholesaler
Jersey City, NJ

I interviewed at Lord Abbett & Co. in February 2011.

Interview Details – The phone interview with recruiter was pleasant enough. Basic straightforward recruiter questions. The face to face interviews were obviously tougher. Met with two managers. Basically it was a good cop/bad cop situation. After that I sat with an internal wholesaler to observe him and talk to him for about 20 minutes.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 10 years   Answer Question

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Internal Wholesaler
Jersey City, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lord Abbett & Co..

Interview Details – 5 interviews and you have to take a test beforehand, everyone is wearing a white shirt with striped tie to convey the conservative approach. they want to see that you are competitive and motivated most importantly, i made the mistake of not paying much attention to the market. know current events

Interview Question – are you satisfied with your grades in school?   View Answer

Digital Delivery Manager Interview

Digital Delivery Manager
Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Lord Abbett & Co. in March 2013.

Interview Details – Was brought in for in person interviews, first met with HR, then hiring manager.
The HR had a thorough interview and covered all roles on resume and asked a variation on what did you like / dislike about this role, what did you like/dislike about your manager, what would your manager say was something you could work on.

Hiring Manager interview was more straight forward and about experience and role - no surprises.

Dress is more formal than most - all the men wore suit and tie with white shirts.

Interview Question – No technical or difficult questions   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

Client Service Associate
Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Lord Abbett & Co..

Interview Details – The interview was set up with a recruiting agency. I was a little surprised to find out that I would be interviewing with HR first, as all my interviews in the past have had HR interview me last. To my knowledge, HR has very little influence on the hiring decision due to their lack of applicable education and ability to identify a good fit in a particular department (since they don't work in it, and are not knowledgeable in the subject).

Anyway, the interview began immediately with questions regarding what I liked the most, and liked the least out of my current job, past jobs, etc. The interview was really odd, she asked questions that you would never think you would have to answer....

"What bad things would your last boss have to say about you"? What exactly is she looking for here? Does she want an honest answer or a sugar-coated fairy tale answer? Of course if you reply " He wouldn't say anything bad about me", that isn't good enough - so you have to really use your imagination with this woman and try to appear as flawless as possible, because if you have one, tiny flaw - she will hack away at it until your too exhausted to reach into your magic jar and pull out more lies.

In the middle of the interview, I was explaining why I thought I was a good fit for the position. As I mentioned that I thought it would be great to utilize my creativity, she immediately gave me a dirty look and asked me to explain. I said " well, I Will be working on the marketing material for the firm, and I think that will be a great chance to use my creativity". She immediately responded that was not in the job description, and I was, in fact, interviewing for the wrong position. Apparently the job description she had sent was for the wrong position. I wasted my entire morning with this woman that didn't even have the decency to explain to me what job she thought I was there for.

After dealing with this person, and seeing how the firm runs things, I am actually happy that I did not get an offer. If you can't even send the correct job description to a potential candidate,and then continue to be dismissive and rude, why would I want to work there?

I was appalled and once it was discovered that I was interviewing for the wrong position the interview came to a quick end. Once she was done asking me questions she said she was going to explain to me what Lord Abbett was, did, and their current market position. She did this all in about 30 seconds without taking a breath, completely rushed, and completely rude. It made me feel like I was the one wasting her time, when in fact, I was the one that missed a few hours of work because of her careless mistake.

If called for another interview with this person, I wouldn't even bother.

On a side note, she did not hire anyone that interviewed for this position. Which is my case-in-point about this person. Enjoy!

Interview Question – What bad things would your last boss say about you?   View Answer

Client Service Associate Interview

Client Service Associate
Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Lord Abbett & Co. in July 2012.

Interview Details – I met with the woman in charge she asked a lot of questions in regards to why Marketing, Why Lord Abbett, Favorite/Least Favorite courses in college, why I picked my college, what my previous employers would say about me, etc.

Interview Question – What my least favorite course was and why.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Lord Abbett & Co.

Worked for Lord Abbett & Co.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lord Abbett & Co. interview questions and advice in Jersey City, NJ. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Lord Abbett & Co. employees and interview candidates.