Los Alamos National Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated Aug 2, 2015

2.3

Post Masters ST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM).

Interview

30 minute phone conversation; we talked on the phone, they asked about what I knew, what programming languages, what technology stack I was familiar with, etc.. It was very informal, and relaxed, actually quite nice compared to typically stressful technical interviews. I was actually surprised when they offered the position after about 30-45 minutes, since I had no idea that I was actually being interviewed for a job, and a decision was being made there. Spoke with multiple members of the team I'd be working with.

Interview Questions

• Asked about knowledge of tools, programming languages, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate; a letter was sent months after, especially after the background check finished.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Interview

Phone call for head team leader then followed by an interview with a group panel (team members and leaders). After a few weeks a phone call with offer from senior managment. Hiring process after offer can take a while...about a month or more....due to background check and paper work from HR....from submition of application to starting job....3-4 months.....

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about working in teams? What is your own goals and why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM).

Interview

The whole process was 1.5 days. Give a seminar the morning of the first day. Spend the afternoon in 30 minute meetings with prospective colleagues. Repeat on day 2. All discussions were basically reasonable, however rather exhausting. People were basically pretty nice.

Interview Questions

• Tell us more about your research. Questions were generally aimed at determining how my research might fit within the context of other TSM's within the division. Except perhaps one or two occasions questions were not aimed at research and were a test of some sort.   Answer Question

Financial Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM).

Interview

I started by going to a career fair where i talked to the recruiters and gave them my resume in September. Then I was called for an interview in November. However, they didn't make an offer until the following February.

Graduate Student Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in April 2015.

Interview

It was very easy- I basically had to say I am interested and summarized what my education background was. I was asked about what I know about solid and hybrid rocket systems. They told me about what they do and what problems they have been having. They also asked for some suggestions on how to fix it.

Anonymous Employee in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position through the lab's website and emailed the contact provided. I was contacted and had a phone interview a month after applying. After the phone interview I was invited for the onsite interview and had to go through the clearance before visiting the lab. The clearance took 3 months (about 2 months after submitting the documents) and the onsite interview was set a month after that (4 months after the phone interview). I was asked to arrange for the travel myself and that I would be reimbursed later. On the day of the interview, I was given a tour of the lab and was introduced to different lab members. All the while we were discussing my current research and possible future research. I had one-on-one interview with senior members of the lab. At the end of the day, I gave my presentation during which I was asked questions. I was told that my presentation was good and that I should expect a response in about a week to ten days. I sent emails thanking all who were involved in the interview process. I was expecting a response in 10 days but received none. I emailed after 14 days and did not get any response. I sent a request for status again after a week and did not get any response. Finally, after about 40 days after the onsite interview I received an email saying that everything was good with my application but they prefer to hire someone else. My disappointment with the process is about the silent treatment after the interview. Also, it has been more than a month since I applied for reimbursement and am still waiting to receive it.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Interview

It varies with situations. For me I worked here as a summer student and my work was impressive enough to have a job offer right after my graduation. For me the key point was the successful completion of my research project and an impressive publication. My research interest also aligned with the labs research effort.

Interview Questions

• It depends on the applicant and background and area of research. Lab is focused on certain research area and recruiter looks for particular connections with the research background of the applicant. This is the key point for getting hired at the lab. The questions will also depend on each case.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

I had a phone interview after sending in my resume. After a few weeks, I heard back and scheduled a phone interview with the head of the department in which I wanted to work. The interview was fairly straightforward for the position, and I received an offer soon after. Overall, an extremely positive experience.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Houston, TX).

Interview

I was initially hired to work as a Post-doc at LANL. I got the job through a colleague at my previous position. The hiring process consisted of me asking him if he knew of any job openings. He said that he might have one if a grant came through. He did win the grant and so offered me the job. I later became a graduate student in a different field and stayed on in the same group

Interview Questions

• I knew the person who offered me the job, so the interview process consisted of scientific discussions and participation in the same meetings.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM).

Interview

First corresponded via e-mail and sent resume. After a few e-mails, I was brought out for an on-site interview that lasted two days. Interview involved meeting with most staff members in the group, tours of the facilities, and also included giving a presentation on current/past research. An offer was extended at end of interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Set salary and benefits.