Los Alamos National Laboratory

2.4

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

I was initially hired to work as a Post-doc at LANL. I got the job through a colleague at my previous position. The hiring process consisted of me asking him if he knew of any job openings. He said that he might have one if a grant came through. He did win the grant and so offered me the job. I later became a graduate student in a different field and stayed on in the same group

Interview Questions
    • I knew the person who offered me the job, so the interview process consisted of scientific discussions and participation in the same meetings.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

First corresponded via e-mail and sent resume. After a few e-mails, I was brought out for an on-site interview that lasted two days. Interview involved meeting with most staff members in the group, tours of the facilities, and also included giving a presentation on current/past research. An offer was extended at end of interview.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Set salary and benefits.

Technical Staff Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

I applied online – interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Make resume match job posting text as close as possible.

Technical Staff Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

It was an internal hire for me. I submitted my resume online in response to the publicly-available job ad. Had an interview with the leader of the group where the position was open, and a few project leaders. Can't recall any details since it was a long time ago. Made a technical presentation to the group members.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory in December 2013.

Skype interview. Presentation for ~1 hour

Interview Questions
    • Routine questions. Mostly it's about my research background   Answer Question

The place is too remote and my research is not the hardcore of the lab.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Alamos, NM

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

I received a phone call because of my application and was asked if I was still interested. Then we scheduled a phone interview to talk about the details. During the phone interview, I was asked why I was interested with the job. My replies were satisfactory in general and we setup to schedule a travel for me to go there and give a talk. Scheduling the travel took a little time. When I get there, I was picked up from my hotel in the morning of the interview day. We went to visitor's office to get a visitor access to the lab. Afterwards, I gave my talk and answered questions on the subject. Then I interviewed with more than 10 people, talking half an hour with each of them on what they do and what I want to do. We went to dinner in the evening and I was taken back to my hotel. I traveled back next day and I was fully reimbursed for my travel costs and my time.

Interview Questions
    • I did not receive any unexpected or difficult question.   Answer Question
    Everything was fixed and no negotiations were possible for this job.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Hired as a postdoc and converted to staff.

Interview Questions
    • never had an interview, was colleagues with the hiring mentor   Answer Question
    Zero

Summer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

proposal and then interview

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Applied on the LANL Career website and received onsite interview after 2 months. No phone interviews. In the morning, talked to many postdoc and staff scientists, topics mainly about the life in Los Alamos. Then lunch with a division leader. Gave a seminar in the afternoon, only a few people attended.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just asked many questions on my research background.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Connecting yourself with potential mentor at LANL; phone and on-site interview; on-site interview includes seminar talk and meeting with all your potential collaborators and co-hosts; dinner; your mentor prepare a hiring package for HR; you get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Some technical details in computer code for specific application.   Answer Question