Los Angeles County

Los Angeles County Interview Questions

Updated Feb 15, 2015
Updated Feb 15, 2015

Eligibility Worker I Interview

There are two tests. There is regular government civil test and now a unicru like personality test. Goodluck.

The personality test would weed out 90% of the applicants. I wish they would of gave that first instead of wasting our times with the regular civil servant test that took 2.5 hours.

You'll be up against 2500 people just for a few open positions. Goodluck.

Eligibility Worker II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Los Angeles County in July 2014.

After being on the Available List for about a year, I received a call for a 2nd interview. Interview was easy, standard questions. The interview was conducted by veteran Eligibility Worker Supervisors.

Interview Questions

I accepted another position.

County Assessor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Los Angeles County in July 2014.

The process is actually relatively quick since they have a set job start date. The test was very mathematical and logical. Only about 5% of the testers passed and were granted a first interview 3 weeks later. The first interview was with other Assessors and was very straight forward. No one takes notes. They just stare at you as you answer their predetermined questions. Once you pass that interview, you move on to the selection interview where anything goes. Here, they either select you or they don't.

Interview Questions
    • The selection interview was very odd. It seemed like the managers had already made up their minds before I walked in. There is nothing that I could have said or have done differently to change the outcome. They actually tried to talk me out of wanting the job by telling me how mundane it would be and how I would be sick of being on the road so much. Maybe they did me a favor by not picking me.   Answer Question

Management Fellow/Administrative Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Los Angeles County.

Several crazy parts:

1) The "work styles assessment" test--- basically a psych exam.
    2) The written exam-- math and grammar (very basic)
    3) The phone interview (short- maybe 20 minutes asking basic HR style questions)
    4) Writing essay exam - like the GRE only dumbed down to high school level.

But the real difficulty?
    You can score in Band I or II and still not be hired. Departments claim to do "civil service" hiring..but that isn't exactly true. They only hire people they know who already work for the county. Last year 2400 applied for this position. They hired 20 MF's who already worked for the county. They usually hire around 12 admin interns, who already work for the county. Legally they have to advertise to the public, but to be honest the odds of getting hired are slim to nothing... most people should probably not even bother applying.

Interview Questions
    • Weird scenario questions may throw you for a loop... Sometimes you may give them examples but they insist on asking irrelevant "pre-programmed" follow up questions.. (like really!).   Answer Question

IT PMO Lead Interview

This unexpected, informal interview indicated that they are casting the net wide and are sincere about persuading experienced professionals to consider joining their team. At the policy end, things appear to move slowly. At the project level, there is a keen desire to find people and processes that will move faster and truly be nimble. But can they achieve this goal?

Interview Questions
    • Asked to explain very specifically a personal approach that has worked to get reluctant or obstinate stakeholders to engage with the PMO process.   Answer Question

Internal Auditor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Los Angeles County.

Applied online and sent my resume and cover letter. Received letter to take written test. There were over 100 people taking this test. After that, got letter for actual interview in about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions involving auditing and ethics. Know this stuff well!   Answer Question

Human Resources Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Los Angeles County in March 2014.

The hiring process was very administrative and impersonal. I felt completely anonymous. The interview process was very stilted, not a lot of opportunity for "conversational" approach - just a Q&A session. I understand the importance of being consistent, but I can't imagine how this approach helps them make the right hire for the job.

Interview Questions
    • none - very standard. if anything, I was surprised at how basic some of the "scenario" questions were.   Answer Question

Eligibility Worker II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Los Angeles County.

Meet in a small room, receiving questions from two people.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. Just annunciate your words, show that you can communicate clearly.   Answer Question

Got put on a list. Had no desire to wait for them to call me.

Management Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Los Angeles County in January 2014.

Very good and professional. They wanted to get people on to start working right away. It was an involved role for management that they wanted someone with previous experience or someone that could learn quickly. The job seemed like they would work with you on getting you up to par on how everything was being ran and not just thrown to the wolves.

Transportation Deputy Interview

Anonymous Employee in Downey, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Downey, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Los Angeles County.

I received a letter for the date, time, and location to be refingerprinted, and a separate letter for a different date for my interview. There were two employees, one of whom is of Supervisory capacity. Because I was an in-house employee, the first few questions were about my positions within the county, where and when, and how much experience I had to determine my qualifications for the position I applied for.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions for me personally, as I was prepared for what would be asked of me. All of the interview questions dealt with various scenarios. For instance, witnessing a coworker not adhering to policy; coworker communicating unprofessionally; what to do when a minor acts out.   View Answer

Once the scoring was completed, the letters were sent out to all applicants. By that time my decision to leave and relocate to Texas was already in effect. The scores I received were not satisfory to my standards, and had I stayed I would have grieved it.