Los Angeles Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014

2.4

Principal City Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Los Angeles in August 2014.

This city is the most bureaucratic of any that I have EVER interviewed at in my 30 year career. After I submitted my application, it was more than two months before I received a response letter. Thankfully, the letter was an invitation to interview and perform a one hour written exam beforehand, but it already had a precise day and time specified with no administrator to contact. I showed up prepared for my surprise exam and interview. I felt that I aced the exam, then saw that I was still one of 12 interviewing for this senior level management position (I saw the clerk thumbing all the applications for this job looking for mine, and my name comes near the end of the alphabet). The interview panel then made me wait 40 minutes late for what should have been their first morning appointment. Finally, the chair of the panel came out to get me. It was a distinguished peer panel of outside interviewers, but they were given the usual 10 stupid interview questions to ask me. I was only given 30 minutes to answer and wrap up which is just damn rude for a high level interview. The panel was left to score the interview, based on my answers to the 10 questions. I am still waiting for a letter from the city to see how I scored: I called and they have not yet bothered to tally them up and get them yet, so I don't yet know if I get a final interview IN THE DEPARTMENT WITH THE DIRECTOR AND DEPUTY, MY NEW BOSS, hopefully...

LA City Attorney's Office, Victim's Associate Program Intern (Unpaid) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  East Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Los Angeles in July 2012.

1. Met Recruiter on Campus (UCLA)
    2. Called Kathy Colobong (Director of the Program)
    3. Brief phone interview (reason of applying, background- such as school, major, location)
    4. After 1 week, 1 on 1 interview (I was in a group interview since I went with two of my classmates): basic questions, past experience questions, asking institutional questions regarding job.
    5. Was told to set up a fingerprinting schedule (this means you got the job)

Interview Questions
    • Patience is required for this job since you will be handling civilians who may not speak English or may not speak at all (by personal difficulties such as disability). How would you handle stress in such situations when you can't do anything.   View Answer

Job was far for me w/o car & Decided to take summer class instead.

Student Worker Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Los Angeles.

Be very comfortable and confident. Know Microsoft office applications in and out since majority of your work will use some portion of this. Show that you are willing to learn. Also, come in with great references since they will go a long way to separate you from the crowd. If you are able to get an in-person interview then your chances are probably good, so be relieved.

Interview Questions
    • How will you handle multiple assignment from multiple manager at the same time?   Answer Question
    There really is no negotiation since everything including your work and pay is set in stone.

Chemist II Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Los Angeles.

Very specific questions dealing with knowledge of chemistry. The interview is very formal, with a precise script. If you have familiarity with analytically chemistry, both theoretical and hands on experience you should do well. Focus on theoretical knowledge of GC, ICP, and MS instrumentation. Be ready to discuss in detail how and why you used those instruments.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you can confirm the concentration of a stock solution.   Answer Question
    There was little or no negotiation. They pay what they pay.

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Los Angeles in January 2010.

I contacted with an engineer who is hiring a volunteer. That was my first interview as well and i was very nervous. The interview includes general behavior questions and a few technical questions.

Administrative Hearing Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Los Angeles in September 2008.

I went to the main office in the Caltrans building in downtown Los Angeles. I had to complete 3 - 4 essays on how I would handle various situations dealing with customer service. I also had to discuss how I would apply the law to the facts of a given situation and make a fair ruling. After the essays I had to go and meet with a panel of interviewers and describe myself and my educational background. It also was helpful that I had previously worked for the department as an engineer.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. It was a standard offer that I had to take.

City of Los Angeles Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Los Angeles in March 2009.

Interviewed for intern position at the Office of the City Attorney. Very friendly and laid back. Mostly talked about my skills, interests and goals.

Civil Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Los Angeles in January 2008.

getting on the elegibility list by interveiwing for civil service exam oral interview. Name courses you finished in school and how it pertains to your position, Getting an EIT will get you a high chance to get in at the associate level II.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you wanna work for City of Los Angeles   View Answer
    Design or Construction work and which department you like to work for.

Warehouse Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Los Angeles in October 2010.

The interview was an internal transfer. The initial posting was on an internal personnel website. After following the directions and faxing in my application and my resume, I waited for 2 weeks for a call for an interview date. During that time I began to study for the test. There are rumors that some people may have an advantage because they are coached by a team that has a bank of previously used Interview questions, not confirmed just rumor.

Interview Questions

Worked for Los Angeles? Contribute to the Community!