Los Angeles Interview Questions

Updated Mar 4, 2015

2.5

Information Systems Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Los Angeles.

Interview

Civil service test and interview. Followed by dept interviews. And that's about all it takes. Making me put in 50 words to describe a very straightforward process is ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• What magazines do you read   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Interview

Tell us something about yourself.
    Why are you applying for this job?
    Why do you want to work for the City?
    Describe your previous experience in this field of work.
    Tell us how your previous work experience or training has prepared you for this job.
    What are your major assets for this job?

Interview Questions

• In what areas related to the job you are applying for do you need to improve yourself the most? How have you compensated for this weakness or deficiency?   Answer Question

Volunteer City Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed by 2 people. One was the head of the Volunteer program while the other interviewer was a seasoned City Attorney who also taught some of the classes during the training. It was a fairly short interview. Friendly and inviting atmosphere. Did not really ask me that many questions. No questions were asked regarding past work situations and how I responded. Mainly asked me why I wanted to work for the City Attorney, what skills do I have that would make me an ideal candidate, etc. The bulk of the interview time was describing what the program entails.

Principal City Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

This city is the most bureaucratic of any that I have EVER interviewed at in my 30 year career. After I submitted my application, it was more than two months before I received a response letter. Thankfully, the letter was an invitation to interview and perform a one hour written exam beforehand, but it already had a precise day and time specified with no administrator to contact. I showed up prepared for my surprise exam and interview. I felt that I aced the exam, then saw that I was still one of 12 interviewing for this senior level management position (I saw the clerk thumbing all the applications for this job looking for mine, and my name comes near the end of the alphabet). The interview panel then made me wait 40 minutes late for what should have been their first morning appointment. Finally, the chair of the panel came out to get me. It was a distinguished peer panel of outside interviewers, but they were given the usual 10 stupid interview questions to ask me. I was only given 30 minutes to answer and wrap up which is just damn rude for a high level interview. The panel was left to score the interview, based on my answers to the 10 questions. I am still waiting for a letter from the city to see how I scored: I called and they have not yet bothered to tally them up and get them yet, so I don't yet know if I get a final interview IN THE DEPARTMENT WITH THE DIRECTOR AND DEPUTY, MY NEW BOSS, hopefully...

Student Worker Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Los Angeles.

Interview

Be very comfortable and confident. Know Microsoft office applications in and out since majority of your work will use some portion of this. Show that you are willing to learn. Also, come in with great references since they will go a long way to separate you from the crowd. If you are able to get an in-person interview then your chances are probably good, so be relieved.

Interview Questions

• How will you handle multiple assignment from multiple manager at the same time?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really is no negotiation since everything including your work and pay is set in stone.

Chemist II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Los Angeles.

Interview

Very specific questions dealing with knowledge of chemistry. The interview is very formal, with a precise script. If you have familiarity with analytically chemistry, both theoretical and hands on experience you should do well. Focus on theoretical knowledge of GC, ICP, and MS instrumentation. Be ready to discuss in detail how and why you used those instruments.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you can confirm the concentration of a stock solution.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was little or no negotiation. They pay what they pay.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Los Angeles (East Los Angeles, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

1. Met Recruiter on Campus (UCLA)
    2. Called Kathy Colobong (Director of the Program)
    3. Brief phone interview (reason of applying, background- such as school, major, location)
    4. After 1 week, 1 on 1 interview (I was in a group interview since I went with two of my classmates): basic questions, past experience questions, asking institutional questions regarding job.
    5. Was told to set up a fingerprinting schedule (this means you got the job)

Interview Questions

• Patience is required for this job since you will be handling civilians who may not speak English or may not speak at all (by personal difficulties such as disability). How would you handle stress in such situations when you can't do anything.   1 Answer

Job was far for me w/o car & Decided to take summer class instead.

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

I contacted with an engineer who is hiring a volunteer. That was my first interview as well and i was very nervous. The interview includes general behavior questions and a few technical questions.

City of Los Angeles Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

Interviewed for intern position at the Office of the City Attorney. Very friendly and laid back. Mostly talked about my skills, interests and goals.

Administrative Hearing Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2008.

Interview

I went to the main office in the Caltrans building in downtown Los Angeles. I had to complete 3 - 4 essays on how I would handle various situations dealing with customer service. I also had to discuss how I would apply the law to the facts of a given situation and make a fair ruling. After the essays I had to go and meet with a panel of interviewers and describe myself and my educational background. It also was helpful that I had previously worked for the department as an engineer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. It was a standard offer that I had to take.