Los Angeles USD Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014
Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.4

Special Education Assistant Interview

There wasn't an official interview when I got hired but I've heard that employees usually sit before a panel consisting of a parent, principal, teacher, and union representative. General questions are asked. They will give you a scenario question and ask what you would do. General reading and math test is administered at a different time, along with fingerprinting.

Interview Questions
    • Scenario questions can be difficult. You never know what they are going to ask so you need to be prepared for any question. Always have the students' safety and privacy in mind.   Answer Question

Mock Interview Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Los Angeles USD.

Had a mock interview set up with someone from LA USD.

English Teacher Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Los Angeles USD.

Panel with Principal, Administrator, and sometimes there is a teacher or parent.

Interview Questions
    • How would you... scenario questions, but as fellow educators we're made for these off the wall scenarios!   Answer Question

Intern Interview

There wasn't much of an interview process. I got the position after a recommendation through networking. My general impression is that you don't make it into the district without having an "in". Of course, you will have to competent and good at what you do, but you will probably have to network yourself into the mix.

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pacific Palisades, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pacific Palisades, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Los Angeles USD in August 2010.

I was initially hired on an emergency credential, but subsequently got a clear teaching credential, after which I was immediately hired at Palisades Charter High School after one interview. Most questions had to do with discipline not education...very little of which takes place in most LAUSD schools. I was hired because I had just finished teaching for 7 years in France and had gotten my clear credential in 2 quarters. The school I was hired to teach at was high performing when compared to the vast majority of failing LAUSD public schools. The thing that is most frustrating is that it would be easier to fix the problems than to maintain the failure, but there are political reasons for the latter.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions had to do with discipline not education...very little of which takes place in most LAUSD schools. I was hired because I had just finished teaching for 7 years in France and had gotten my clear credential in 2 quarters. The school I was hired to teach at was high performing when compared to the vast majority of failing LAUSD public schools. The thing that is most frustrating is that it would be easier to fix the problems than to maintain the failure, but there are political reasons for the latter.   View Answer
    No negotiation. Your are ranked in exclusively based on credential, years of service at any school, and units beyond your BA and teaching credential. You top out on the salary scale with 10 years of service, but there are several minor career increments thereafter.

Adult Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Los Angeles USD.

I got this job by fluke. I applied as an adult ed sub. Called in one night to sub. I asked the administrator du jour to model instruction. She did, and asked if I could handle it. I said I did, and I did. I got the job permanently a few weeks later and never looked back until the recent job cuts have affected my pay and job security..

UTLA, the union, and the District, per collective bargaining agreement,

Special Education Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Los Angeles USD in June 2013.

Nothing much to it but applying, having minimum courses in child development, and passing a test which is easy.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Los Angeles USD.

It was fine, as long as you have a college degree and have passed the CBEST.

Interview Questions
    • It has been so long ago; maybe how much math did you have in college?   Answer Question
    None. It is what it is.

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Los Angeles USD in May 2008.

Twelve years ago I submitted a cover letter and resume and copies of my transcripts to the main office downtown in Los Angeles. I had a fifteen minute interview with the director of the adult education program. It was a very low key interview. It seemed more like a formality than anything else. Afterwards, I remember having to fill out a large amount of paperwork.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiating. Instructors pay is fixed.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Los Angeles USD in August 2010.

once an interview is obtained, the next steps are executed in a standard format similar to corporate functions.

Interview Questions
    no negotiations. hourly rate based on education

Worked for Los Angeles USD? Contribute to the Community!