Los Angeles USD Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.4

Teacher Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Los Angeles USD.

I had one interview for an elementary school teaching position. I was asked several questions, from the standard "Why do you want to work here?" to "Delve into your experience working with children." I am bilingual (Spanish), and the area where the school was located had a majority of Latino students, so that came in handy when explaining my ability to communicate with Spanish-speaking parents if necessary.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you apply to teach at this school and not X school in another district?   Answer Question
    I was straight out of undergrad so there was no negotiation. My salary was set.

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pacific Palisades, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pacific Palisades, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Los Angeles USD in August 2010.

I was initially hired on an emergency credential, but subsequently got a clear teaching credential, after which I was immediately hired at Palisades Charter High School after one interview. Most questions had to do with discipline not education...very little of which takes place in most LAUSD schools. I was hired because I had just finished teaching for 7 years in France and had gotten my clear credential in 2 quarters. The school I was hired to teach at was high performing when compared to the vast majority of failing LAUSD public schools. The thing that is most frustrating is that it would be easier to fix the problems than to maintain the failure, but there are political reasons for the latter.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions had to do with discipline not education...very little of which takes place in most LAUSD schools. I was hired because I had just finished teaching for 7 years in France and had gotten my clear credential in 2 quarters. The school I was hired to teach at was high performing when compared to the vast majority of failing LAUSD public schools. The thing that is most frustrating is that it would be easier to fix the problems than to maintain the failure, but there are political reasons for the latter.   View Answer
    No negotiation. Your are ranked in exclusively based on credential, years of service at any school, and units beyond your BA and teaching credential. You top out on the salary scale with 10 years of service, but there are several minor career increments thereafter.

Intern Interview

There wasn't much of an interview process. I got the position after a recommendation through networking. My general impression is that you don't make it into the district without having an "in". Of course, you will have to competent and good at what you do, but you will probably have to network yourself into the mix.

Senior BSA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Los Angeles USD in April 2014.

I had one telephonic and one in person interview. Lots of situation based questions were asked and some on SQL to test my technical skills. I got the offer next day after the interview.

Adult Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Los Angeles USD.

I got this job by fluke. I applied as an adult ed sub. Called in one night to sub. I asked the administrator du jour to model instruction. She did, and asked if I could handle it. I said I did, and I did. I got the job permanently a few weeks later and never looked back until the recent job cuts have affected my pay and job security..

UTLA, the union, and the District, per collective bargaining agreement,

Playground Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

interviewed at Los Angeles USD in August 2011.

Called a week ahead of interview day, two total interviews, take high school diploma, got asked questions, spent a month waiting on getting fingerprint scanned

English Teacher Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Los Angeles USD.

Panel with Principal, Administrator, and sometimes there is a teacher or parent.

Interview Questions
    • How would you... scenario questions, but as fellow educators we're made for these off the wall scenarios!   Answer Question

Teacher Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Los Angeles USD in January 2011.

I was hired by David Briones who was a former teacher when I attended school there. The hiring process was very informal because of our relationship. I took the district exam, passed both tests with 100% and was eligible to work for any LAUSD school. I went to work for O'Melveny Elementary.

None

High School Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Los Angeles USD.

its was simple as far as meeting with the district to get fingerprinted, and processed. The interview comes from the school site

Interview Questions
    • basic interview questions regarding situational workplace questions   Answer Question

ESL Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  South Gate, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Gate, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Los Angeles USD in March 2010.

Although being an internal candidate it took awhile to get an interview due to the amount of candidates applying for positions. However, when contacted it was everything went smoothly. The interviewers were the assistant principal of another location, then after clearing that level the final interview was held by the sites principal and assistant principal.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions were scenarios of what one would do with a student who was proficient in English but did not want to move up to the next level.   View Answer
    This was during processing and as an exempt rookie there were no perks offered.

Worked for Los Angeles USD? Contribute to the Community!