Los Angeles Water and Power

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power.

Interview Details – You have an initial interview, you're ranked on a list, and as the Department posts jobs with this title, you receive notices. You respond with your resume. If they like you, they call you back and schedule an interview. Following that interview, you'll be notified. (Estimate 3-9 months for this process)

Interview Question – No question was hard if you were awake in 50% of your classes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Student Engineer Interview

Student Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power.

Interview Details – I submitted both my resume and cover letter through email. Then I received a call from my potential supervisor a few weeks later. It was just a simple phone interview. No technical questions. I received an offer and the salary was non-negotiable.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power

Interview Details – 1st round interview at college campus, was ranked.
2nd round interview - received letters instructing to say if I was still interested and give an email address. Later, I was emailed a request for a writing sample for additional screening before being called for an interview.

Interview Question – 1st round interview: going over resume, largely behavioral, a few technical questions (why is rebar used in concrete, and steps of water filtration )

2nd round interview : Started out going over background and resume. Asked behavior questions (how have you contributed to an assignment, what do you do if someone interrupts a presentation, etc). Then technical questions related to different water groups (Water sources for la and benefits of each, issues with groundwater replenishing)
  Answer Question

Assistant Director of Procurement Interview

Assistant Director of Procurement
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power in February 2014.

Interview Details – Process handled by a head hunter who was very professional and assisted me in getting an interview. 45 minute interview with the headhunter followed by an hour video (skype type) interview with Procurement Director and General Manager. Very professional and a positive experience.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in this position if it is only guaranteed for a year?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Investment Officer Interview

Investment Officer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power.

Interview Details – A very broad description of qualifications on the job posting landed me interviewing for a position I was not a suitable fit for. There was absolutely no visibility into the interview process beyond being told it would consist of a panel interview and writing test. There was no initial phone interview or conversation prior to the panel interview in which I was able to gauge my interest level in the position. I contemplated canceling my interview altogether as I did not feel it was fair that I was in no way able to prepare. Furthermore, for having such broad qualifications the interview questions were very specific to the job. The whole process was incredibly uncomfortable and embarrassing to be honest.

Interview Question – Lots of specific questions to the job.   Answer Question

Northridge, CA

I interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power in October 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed through college. Be prepared to answer a lot of technical questions about all areas of civil engineering.

Interview Question – What is required information to design for shear in a building?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Intern Interview

Electrical Engineering Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power in March 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted application online and was called for a phone interview about 3 weeks later. The phone interview consisted of both behavioral and general technical questions from an enginner, and it was more technical such as what are the three departments of a power system and what type of electrical equipment is used.

Interview Question – Name all the equipment used in the distribution system and what does it do?   Answer Question

Civil Engineer Associate Interview

Civil Engineer Associate

Interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power

Interview Details – You are interviews by two senior engineers at a location in downtown LA. The interview has %100 weight and your scores will be mailed to you in about a month.

Interview Question – What are the ways as to filter the contaminants in drinking water?

What are the sources of contaminants in water?
  Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Associate Interview

Electrical Engineering Associate

The process took a day - interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power in March 2008.

Interview Details – I had an one on one interview with two senior engineers from LADWP. They asked me about 20 questions about behavior and some technical questions. The interview was smooth and they were very kind to me.
If you took basic courses on circuits and electromagnetics, those technical questions shouldn't be hard.
Just be honesty and show them who you truly are

Interview Question – Can you tell me anything about street light system ?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Civil Engineering Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Los Angeles Water and Power in April 2009.

Interview Details – Asked basic engineering questions to check on thought and critical thinking process.
Asked personal questions to check if I would fit in with the group.

Interview Questions

Worked for Los Angeles Water and Power? Contribute to the Community!