Los Rios Community College District

3.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at Los Rios Community College District

Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Los Rios Community College District.

My hiring process included two interviews- one with a committee of 12 and one with the college president and two senior administrators. The committee interview consisted of approximately 12 interview questions, followed by a teaching demonstration. Each member of the committee asked a question. I could tell it was quite important that I answer every question in a complete and concise manner. The interview with the college administration was a bit more challenging. The questions were difficult and aimed at what I assume they must have viewed as my shortcomings from the first interview.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were completely expected. I think the President asked the most difficult questions. I can't recall the specific questions but the subject circled around a theme of how would I interact with other faculty.   Answer Question
    No negotiating. The salary was based on years of experience and education units only.

Adjunct Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Los Rios Community College District.

Complete Application & submit CV/Resume online. If someone calls you, participate in interviews.

No negotiation.

Library Media Tech Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Los Rios Community College District.

You can only apply online. Human resources is very organized, but the initial process can take a few weeks to get a call for an interview. Be sure to show how you meet the minimum requirements exactly, otherwise your application may never make it to the actual hiring committee

Hiring committees are chosen from a diverse group of faculty and staff members and usually contain 3-5 members, including the department's Dean or unit supervisor.

Panel interview with lots of questions, including various scenarios. A 10-15 minute writing prompt is given before you go in to the interview.

2nd interviews are common for the final 2-3 candidates and can happen very quickly after the 1st interviews are completed. Final interview is a meeting with the VP of the college and the Dean of the department.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a positive trait you have and a negative one   Answer Question
    No negotiations. You are placed at the advertised salary for this position, exceptions are so rare that coworkers have said they haven't seen it happen in over 10 years.

Graphic Designer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Los Rios Community College District in January 2012.

Probably the most convoluted interview I've ever been on. They first put me in a room by myself and gave me a piece of scratch paper and a list of the questions they were going to ask me in person. Then they took me to the interview room where I was given strict rules as to what I was allowed to say and what they were allowed to say. Then each of the people around the room asked me a question off of the sheet and then immediately looked down at their piece of paper to scribble notes. There was no personality from any of them. I might as well have just stayed in the private room and talked to myself.

Interview Questions
    • How do you plan to use our ethnic diversity in your daily workflow?   Answer Question

Writing Tutor Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Los Rios Community College District in September 2010.

I was asked to write an essay using a computer on how I would tutor a student. I was then asked to review a real essay subitted by a student for about 15 minutes. The Writing Coordinator and her Instructional Assistant then interviewed me by doing some role playing. The Writing Coordinator was the student, while I went through the process of pretending to tutor her on her essay. The IA just took notes. I assumed they did confer afterwards about how I did. I was hired the next day by a phone call. When I spoke to the IA later when I started working at the Writing Center, I asked him if I was ready to tutor since I had not done that many observations of other experienced tutors. He said that I had done so well in the interview that he thought I was ready.

Interview Questions
    • What were my plans in the next 5 years?   View Answer
    The salary is set at minimum wage ($8.25). Part of the requirements of this position is to be a part-time student and take at least 6 units. There are no taxes nor social security contributions taken out from paycheck.