Lowe's Online Taxonomy Specialist Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Online Taxonomy Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mooresville, NC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mooresville, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lowe's in November 2012.

To get a job in a technology position like this at Lowe's your best opportunity is to go through Ettain Group because they do almost all of the recruitment for those positions at Lowe's.

My contact at Ettain called to tell me about the position and gave me tips to improve my resume. I sent it to her and she forwarded it on to the team leader in charge of making the hire. He liked it, so I went in for an interview with he and the lady who was second in command.

We went over my resume and my previous experience. They asked the usual interview questions such as name a time when you succeeded/failed at a task and what did you do next. They then gave me a list of about 8 different products and gave me a scenario where it was Nov. 1 and I had to prioritize which products should be categorized first if the process takes two weeks. It wasn't too hard. Things like Christmas lights would be first and things like riding lawnmowers could be last. They also asked several brain teaser questions which I got a couple right and a couple wrong, and I was able to stump them with my own brain teaser they had never heard before.

Overall I thought the first interview went really well. They gave me a writing assignment to do over the next week and send back to them. I was to go to Lowes.com and find a product that I thought was either in the wrong category or would be too hard for a customer to find by simply going through the online product categories and without using the search bar.

I completed the assignment, having written over 2 pages, and emailed it in. I heard from my contact at Ettain a few days later that they were really impressed with what I had written and they wanted me to come in for a second interview to meet the taxonomy team.

During the second interview I met with 3 of the Taxonomy specialists and talked with them for over an hour about my past experiences, more typical interview questions, and I even had to argue my position on my writing assignment with the person who had that category (she thought turnbuckles should be in fasteners, turnbuckles don't fasten anything). I felt as thought the interview had gone really well, and I had enjoyed talking with the team members. They said they would meet back with the team leader and be in touch in a few days.

I left feeling like I had a good chance of getting the position, but the next week I got a call back from my contact at Ettain who said that, though they liked me a lot and thought I would do a good job, they were worried that I wasn't outgoing enough to argue my position when dealing with vendors inside of the company, so they were going with another candidate.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a situation where you made a mistake that directly let to a financial loss for your company?   View Answer
  • How many golf balls would fit in a school bus?   View Answer