Lowe's

2.3

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lowe's in October 2014.

After an online application, I got a phone call for an interview the next day. I was early, but the HR person was with someone else. I waited in a large employee area with tables & lockers. Employees were pleasant to me. I got a sheet of paper of information which I signed. He asked 5 questions, tell me a time when you handled a situation. Wrote some of my responses, asked if I had questions. I did ask a couple of questions. On the info sheet it said I needed to be able to pick up 200 pounds, and I said I couldn't do that, what was that about? He explained that, then I asked about what was the pay scale. He said it was commensurate with experience. I said I had only listed my last 2 retail jobs on my resume. He said bring or fax in a resume with every bit of retail experience and it would be factored in their automated equation. That covered about 20 years, 8 of which I was an assistant manager or head cashier, and I was called and extended an offer of $10.12. I had projected it would be 8.50 to 10.00. I accepted that.

Other Interview Reviews for Lowe's

Part Time Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lowe's.

First, I had to read a few pages about the job description and things I will have to learn, and then sign. They then called me into the office for the interview. There were two managers, one was the human resources manager. They asked me a little bit about myself, asked me about my availability, and started "scenario" process. They asked me what I would do in 7 different scenarios. Lastly, I asked the question, "What achievements and actions would equate to success in this position? What sets an employee apart as successful?" They told me that was an excellent question, and they were thrilled I would ask something like that.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions... Just these:
      Recall a time when you got interrupted from a job. How did you handle it?
      Explain a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer.
      Name a time when you promised a customer something but couldn't deliver. How did you handle the situation?
      Tell us about a time when you had a difficult customer.

There were two more, but I can't remember.

Answer Question
    No negotiation. They have a computer program that inputs your experience level and calculates your starting pay.

Part Time Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lowe's.

I got a phone call from the HR Manager to come in for an interview. I interviewed the following day with the HR Manager, followed by another manager. I completed the drug test in the same day. I was called within the week with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when a co-worker criticized your work and how you reacted or what you did about it? Something along those lines.   Answer Question
    There were no negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Danvers, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Danvers, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lowe's in March 2013.

Completed on-line application and after a week, received call to set up interview. First interview lasted 20 minutes & consisted of a lot of scenario questions where I had to give examples of problems encountered in various work situations. Met with 2nd person who asked me more scenario questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were criticized by your boss or a colleague. How did you handle the situation?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Boston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Boston, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lowe's in February 2013.

I filled out an application on their site. In about two weeks, I got a call to set up an interview the next day. Now the bad part... I showed up ten minutes late. Not a very good reason. The HR manager was not happy. I told him my reason. He said usually he wouldn't have even spoke to an applicant that showed up, but (for some unknown reason beyond me) still took me. We did the interview. It was your basic "What would you do if" questions, nothing out of the ordinary from other retail jobs. At the end of the interview, I thanked the man probably ten times for giving me a second chance and promised it never happened (and it doesn't). Bless the man's soul, I got the second interview! We scheduled it for the very next day. I showed up fifteen minutes early. While the manager was taking me back, we passed by the HR manager and he was joking with us. That made me feel a lot better. The manager that interviewed me was incredibly nice, he laughed a lot. He made absolutely no mention of my being late the previous day. Four days later, I got the call asking if I was still interested. He told me the rate of pay, $8.88/hr, and asked if that was fine with me. My state's minimum wage is $7.25, so I was shocked. I have a drug test scheduled in six days. Overall, the interview process was very laid back (other than me being late).

Part Time Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Lowe's in February 2013.

I applied online and the next day got a call asking for me to come in for an interview. All the employees were friendly, kind, and helpful. I had two interviews and had to wait a significant amount of time before each, but the employees found a chair for me and helped me out.

The first interview was with the HR Manager, who was friendly and seemed sincere. My second interview was with the Store Manager who seemed more professional and less friendly (and to be honest, he was a bit intimidating). Both only asked me questions about my previous job, like to explain a situation in which "this" happened, and what did I do? I was just honest and told them the best scenario I could think of rather quickly. They wrote all my answers down and I could not tell if they liked me or what they thought of my answers.

I did receive a call a week later from the HR Manager letting me know I got the job. The next day I went in for a drug test and signed some paperwork. Overall, quite easy. I recommend to be friendly, be yourself, and answer the best you can. Try not to ramble, but give them detailed, medium length answers that reflect who you are as an employee and how you react in stressful or unpredictable situations. Good luck to everyone!

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot of questions that required similar answers so it got a little difficult to put a spin on each question. Because in retail there isn't a TON you can do - organize store, greet customers, check out customers, put items back - my answers seemed a little redundant. I just recommend thinking of specific experiences and adding that into each answer.   Answer Question
    The HR manager called me and told me all the info, like the amount I would be payed and when orientation was. I accepted eagerly because the pay was much more than I expected. I can guarantee almost everyone will be surprised at how high they pay their employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Festus, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Festus, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lowe's in December 2012.

The process started out with the normal call to say they pulled your app after you did a test online. Then you will have a meeting with a women who will ask you about your reaction to different circumstances with very little information about the company or yourself being shared. After which you will set up a time to come in and speak with another manager. That interview will start out with the ever popular request of; "Tell me about yourself." Followed by info on the job, company, and promotion opportunities. This is a very informal process.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about yourself." To me this request is a doubled edged sward. They are trying to see if you will fit with their company's values and customer experience plan. It's also a very easy way to be cut right away. IF you say too much, too little, or are completely off the money you can kill an otherwise perfect interview.   Answer Question
    There was really no negotiation. They said here's your pay scale, here is a rough idea of the amount you will work, welcome to the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abilene, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abilene, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Lowe's in October 2012.

So far only one interview (will update if i have another) had it with the store manager and assistant store manager. they went back and forth asking me questions. A lot of tell me about a time when..... questions. said they would put in for my background check, and once that comes back good they will do the drug test.

update: had drug test today; start on monday!

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time you had an idea and it backfired on you.   Answer Question
    They offered $9.09 / hr

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Lowe's in February 2012.

I was called about an online application I submitted and an interview was scheduled. During the first interview I met with two different people - the asst. store manager and then the store manager. I was asked the standard interview questions "tell me a little about yourself", and "why do you want to work at Lowes", followed by a series of "Tell me about a time when...." questions. These were scenario questions to basically show your problem solving skills as well as how you handle yourself in difficult situations. A couple of examples... "Tell me about a time when a customer was angry, how did you handle the situation", "Tell me about a time that you had to sell something, how did you go about that", Etc. The interview went fast, from start to finish I was there between 15 and 20 minutes. At the end of the interview I asked when I might hear back and I was told in about a week. It was actually only about three days later when I received a call for a 2nd interview. When I went back the 2nd time I was offered a job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when a boss or co-worker were unhappy with something you did, what was it and how did you address the situation?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, but the hourly rate was more than I thought it would be so I was pleased. I was told part-time employees also receive some benefits after 90 days (full benefits after 6 months).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lowe's in August 2011.

3 interviews with different levels of management, lots of "how have you handled this" questions. They looked at hobbies as well as work experience to find a good fit. They were honest in presenting the down side of the position.

Interview Questions
    • How have you handled a time when you needed to solve a customer's problem.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you were pulled in different directions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.