Lowe's

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seasonal Overnight Stock Interview

Seasonal Overnight Stock

I applied online - interviewed at Lowe's in April 2013.

Interview Details – Filled out an application and within a week got a call back for an interview. they were very prompt with responding to the application. From all the reviews I have read, if you don't get a call back soon about your application, they probably won't call you for a long time, if ever, to be honest, I never expected to get a call back, but my most recent job be a 4.5 year stint in a heavily customer service setting with heavy lifting was probably helpful for the position for which applied, along with ticking the check boxes with a preference for overnight work. Keep that in mind when you apply to Lowe's, or anywhere.

When I went in for the interview, I was told to go to customer service and let them know I was there for an interview. The customer service desk people seemed harried and/or distracted, and it almost seemed each one of them was either waiting for me to say something to them or waiting for someone else to talk to me. There were four employees standing behind the counter if I remember correctly, three were talking amongst themselves, and the fourth was on the phone. I was not verbally acknowledged by any of them until the employee on the phone was done with her call, and she told me in a somewhat exasperated tone how to get back to where the interviews were taking place. It wasn't a negative experience, just somewhat odd.

I went back to the interview site, and I was asked to read a few sheets with job description, asked to sign a sheet saying I understood the job and could do the job as described. After that, I had an interview with the HR manager. He was a very polite guy. Questions were typical retail behavioral questions; i have heard them called "S.T.A.R" questions, though I am not sure what that term means. If you are hear reading about Lowe's, there are plenty of examples in the reviews. The manager told me to either give an example of a time when X thing happened, OR if you don't have an example, explain what you would do if same X happened in a customer service scenario. Also, name a time when you gave bad instructions/directions to a customer, tell about a time you made a mistake, a time you had a disagreement with a coworker, etc. I am not particularly good at these types of questions, I like to let my work and working attitude speak for itself, which seems okay for this company, because even though I messed up one of the questions (he had to explain to me again that I could make up an example of what I could do after I told him that at my previous job there weren't a lot of mistakes to be made, ouch!), I went to the second interview.

The second interview was with the assistant store manager. He was also a nice guy, as the interview went on he seemed to warm up to me. The questions were largely the same, almost as though he basically asked a few of the same questions as the HR manager, just worded differently. Bare this in mind; I could be wrong, but they may run a preliminary check on you before the interview, or they may deduce things about you from your application, and ask you certain questions accordingly? I do not know, but it was strange that the questions that both asked were essentially the same, and before the second interview, the ASM even stated as such something like "the questions I ask will be similar to the ones the other guy asked." I did much better on the second interview, and it seemed as though the ASM wanted to offer me the job right then, as he left the room "to talk to someone really quickly," and came back very quickly and said that they had two others to interview, but that I should be getting a call within two days.

I think it ended up being three days, but I did get a call for a job offer. Was told what i would be getting paid, and asked to come in that day for a drug screening, and was asked DOB and email address for the background check. Completed the drug screen, and have been waiting for a call back about the results of that and the background check. It has been a week, so who knows?

Interview Question – As I said, the questions are all around this site, and I even posted the few I remember in my review. I don't think the content of the answer matters so much if you get an interview, as much as you try to remain positive and try to give an answer that is somewhat relevant.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate. Not sure if I could have or not. The pay was acceptable.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Seasonal Overnight Stock Interview

Seasonal Overnight Stock

I applied online and interviewed at Lowe's.

Interview Details – Went to an interview with HR and then interviewed with a manager. General questions about how you work and previous experiences that demonstrate teamwork, customer service.
They don't tell you how much it pays until they make you an offer. I had done the 2 interviews, background check and drug test before they gave me a dollar amount. Wasted my/their time, when they could have given me some idea upfront. Also, could not give any idea how long position would last (maybe 2-3 months, maybe 6) , or what nights I'd be working.

Interview Question – How did you demonstrate superior customer service?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay offered was too low for a strenuous, overnight, F/T job in New York. $11.15/hour
Unsure of length of position, and which nights I'd be scheduled.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Lowe's

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lowe's Seasonal Overnight Stock interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Lowe's employees and interview candidates.