Lowenstein Sandler Interview Questions

Updated Feb 2, 2015

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Lowenstein Sandler

Paralegal Interview

Interview

Phone interview with HR and two in person interviews. Questions were asked to get a feel if you fit the culture as well as patent specific questions. It was extensive to make sure you would be a good fit for the firm.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not have to negotiate.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Lowenstein Sandler.

Interview

I was recruited by an outside headhunter. I had 1 day of interviews with a handful of members of the department, starting with the hiring partner. I got the feeling that the other interviewers were just to provide some feedback but that ultimately the decision would be pretty much entirely made by the hiring partner of that group. All interviews were one on one, no panel interviews, and pretty standard law firm interview fare, nothing surprising. The HR or recruiting lead met me and shepherded me around. The attorneys were wearing anything from suits to business elegant/dressy casual, such as suits without a tie. As an applicant, you should definitely wear a suit and err on the conservative side if in doubt but it's definitely not the kind of firm where you need to show up in a high end designer suit with a handbag or briefcase that cost thousands of dollars. A traditional cut and dark color suit from Ralph Lauren, Nordstrom, Brooks Brothers, Ann Taylor, Theory, or Banana Republic or the like would suffice for an interview. The office is reasonably nice but not as luxurious or swanky as some of the white shoe NYC firms. The admins I interacted with were generally very nice. Among the lawyers there's a mix of high power, fancy name credentials and home grown (NJ) talent. They were very efficient in making a decision and I received a written offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Nothing surprising. I was asked some in depth questions about accomplishments/work projects listed on my resume, and also pressed for relating my prior experience to the demands of the job I was seeking.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was a firm written offer but it wasn't negotiable. The associate classes apparently are all within a certain range of each other. The only thing somewhat negotiable was my start date.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseland, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Lowenstein Sandler (Roseland, NJ) in July 2014.

Interview

Brought me through 3 interviews, very positive. Didn't make me feel like I was a burden or wasting their time. Full interviews with different people and different styles. Left feeling positive. Little to no follow up until I was rejected.

Office Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Lowenstein Sandler (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

The telephone interview lasted about 45 minutes and I did not feel rushed. The interviewer from the Boston office was very patient and helpful. She asked if I was familiar with the firm and seemed genuinely proud to work there. I was glad I did my research because we spoke about the probono work for a bit.

Interview Questions

• Provide me with an example of a difficult employee situation and your solution to the conflict.   Answer Question

Associate/Counsel Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Lowenstein Sandler.

Interview

Met with practice group leader initially; followed by second round interviews with other partners and associates. However, I was directly recruited by a practice group leader so other experiences may differ.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Unsuccessfully attempted to negotiate for higher salary and in hindsight regret accepting the offer given the workload and hours expectations that followed.

Support Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseland, NJ

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Lowenstein Sandler (Roseland, NJ) in January 2011.

Interview

The application process was messy. Not sure who was handling the paperwork because the interview date was never confirmed until the last minute. The personnel staff seem nice and friendly - they have to be, I'm sure. However, that's when it goes downhill. For a law firm that caters to big money clients, hedge funds and such, they seem to act cheap with potential employees. In an interview that took too long (they went through the motions, probably to cover anti-discrimination regulations), I was never offered a beverage or even a glass of tap water. This lack of courtesy was the start. The interview started 20-30 minutes late, the questions were repeated over and over again (without the sound that it was an interviewer tactic) and the topic of salary wasn't even touched. The demeanor of interviewer(s) indicated that they found the candidate already, so this was a waste of time for me. At least have the courtesy to cancel the interview or make a simple phone call to ask a few questions before wasting someone's day. After reading more on Glassdoor, I am glad I did not receive a job offer.