Lucid Software Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Jordan, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Lucid Software (South Jordan, UT) in February 2015.

Interview

I was recruited through a college recruiting event at BYU. The process was fairly informal, but very prompt and the recruiters a pleasure to work with. All of my emails were answered within a day. The interview itself was difficult, but not prohibitively so. Many other interviews I've had with companies that take pride in hiring only "the best and brightest" will ask unfair trivia questions (e.g., the famous light bulb question) or very specific CS theory questions (e.g., "what is the difference between polymorphism and inheritance) that feel very much like a final exam. My interview at Lucid consisted of a programming segment, with four problems increasing in difficulty and a statement that I was expected to solve whichever ones I could. I was able to solve all four, but not with much remaining time. After the programming segment was a modeling question, where they asked me to model a deceptively complex system. I did horribly at first, but with discussion with the interviewers, came to an answer I feel good about. The communication was very open, and I could tell that the interviewers wanted me to succeed.

Interview Questions

• Modeling question: Create a model, with the appropriate classes, for a family.   1 Answer

Business Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lucid Software (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2015.

Interview

I interviewed 3 separate times. 1 by phone and 2 using Skype. It was very casual throughout, more of a conversation than an interview. The entire process from initial interview to offer took about 3 weeks. The interviewee was very transparent through the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you worked in a team setting and succeeded   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lucid Software in October 2014.

Interview

Programming task: 3 different tasks were given for programing out of which 2 were easy and the 3rd one was time consuming. They setup the environment for the task based on the language one prefers, and they allow to use internet for basic reference to online docs. (syntax purpose only). Use of websites like stack overflow not allowed.

User Experience/UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lucid Software (Draper, UT) in September 2014.

Interview

Because I was not living in the local area, I was first contacted by email to schedule a phone interview, and then had a phone interview about a week later. The person I talked to was also new to the company which made it hard to get good answers about the company culture or a true gauge of the position.

Application

Interview

I applied online. I was first contacted by email and given a homework assignment to complete. Next was a phone interview. After that I was invited onsite for an interview (about 1/2 day). Everyone was friendly but they didn't seem prepared to have me there. Their work environment is open, noisy, and messy. They said they have plans to move so perhaps their new location will feel more comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Homework assignment: Write code to find the length of the longest non-decreasing sequence through adjacent, non-repeating cells (including diagonals) in a rectangular grid of numbers.   2 Answers
    • On-site coding challenge   1 Answer

Lucid Software Response

Oct 6, 2014 – Director of Engineering

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really glad you found the team friendly. I appreciate the comment about organization. We're a young, informal company and I'll definitely work on creating a smoother ... More

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Lucid Software.

Interview

The only interview I had was a programming problem and I needed to submit the answer to them. I could solve the problem in any language of my choice. However, I was a little off with my answer because I misunderstood the instructions. I did not have any interview beyond this.

Interview Questions

• I had to solve a problem that would take a grid of numbers and find the longest non-repeating, non-decreasing path. It could be in any language.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lucid Software in December 2013.

Interview

referral and got the interview. 1 hour with three questions, and meet front end team and backend team.

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Lucid Software (Draper, UT) in November 2012.

Interview

Three to four hours total. Starts with a programming exam where you are asked to do some basic coding. This is followed by interviews with various team members. Questions were about programming concepts, design and your experience. There were a few brain teasers. I was asked, for example to talk about some significant project that I had worked on recently. Also asked to design a chess program and justify any design decisions that I made. The only brain teaser was about adding without the plus operator, and bitwise wasn't allowed.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lucid Software in September 2012.

Interview

First, I was administered a programming test that I completed remotely and submitted. My test was successful so I was invited in for an interview. The interview began at 1PM and finished at 5PM, and consisted of another programming test (timed this time) and meetings with three pairs of people from different parts of the organization. After the in-office interview, I was administered three skill tests specific to the type of engineering position I was applying for (emphasis on UX/UI). After the tests, I received an offer within a week.

Interview Questions

• What are the pros and cons of a circular menu, in contrast to a traditional menu (in the context of user experience and user interface design).   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was satisfied with the offer (being my first offer out of school) and did not attempt to negotiate.