Lush Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Lush in March 2015.

Well, i went in for the first time ask the cashier if they were hiring. She told me "yes, you need to bring a resume" by that time i had my resume ready with me. She ask me to do a demo and ask three questions. she told me they were going to call me for an interview after store hours. I came in and there was like other 20 people. they separates us into different groups and did demos to each other.

Interview Questions
    • Whats your spirit animal? Which lush product describes you? Whats your dream job?   Answer Question

Sales Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan, PR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan, PR

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Lush in February 2015.

It was fairly easy, the recruiting team were all friendly and courteous. We had a 10 question test which it takes approximately 15 minutes to answer, after that it was the product demo with one another. After that I got the interview with one of the guys from the recruitment team, that part of the interview was very nice, it felt like I was having a nice conversation with a friend, the questions were easier than the ones that appeared on the test. I got the second call.And I'm waiting for the third part of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Lush?, What do you expect from the manager?, Mention the most stressful situation in your previous job and how did you handled it?, mention a situation at work that made you proud, Why do you think you are the ideal candidate and why should we pick you?, What do you know about Lush? What is your favorite product?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lush in November 2014.

Was referred to the shop manager by a friend who currently works at the shop. The manager emailed me to set up an interview. The interview consisted of the shop manager and myself and another person being interviewed for the position at the same time. The manager asked us the same questions and we would answer after each other. Pretty basic questions such as: "Tell me about your work background?" "What did you like/dislike about your previous position?" "Why do you want to work for Lush?" "What can you bring to this position?" Shop manager made us feel very comfortable and was very friendly throughout the whole process. We both were offered the position on the spot and accepted. It was a quick and painless process. Discussed scheduling at the end of our interview and set up a time to come back and sign hiring papers.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. But be sure to know something about the product and company and show that you know it during the interview!   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lush in November 2014.

I showed up to the shop, and was given a piece of paper to fill out with maybe 5 questions, and an availability sheet. Sat down with three other girls, and was asked questions by the manager. Then we split up and were briefly taught how to demo a product, and then had to demo it ourselves. Then we had a one on one sit down with the manager, and could just walk around the stuff while waiting for the other girls to finish. Once you were done with your interview you could leave though, even if the other girls weren't done.

My suggestions to get hired would be to be *very* outgoing. As long as you can talk to random strangers, you'll be fine. Be happy and positive. More then anything though just let your personality shine through. If you're trying to fake it, it'll be obvious. You don't have to go overboard to seem fun and likeable. Also, when in the group definitely find a good balance of putting yourself out there, but not looking like you're trying to overshadow anyone else. Help make the other girls look good, since Lush looks for team players.

If you like the company for the cosmetics portion of that, let them know that, but also try to highlight the ethical side of the company as well. If you can even back it up with some of what you do (for example, I'm vegan, so I mentioned that was why I loved the ethics of the company), then you're gold. Talk about your values and how the company fits with that, so it doesn't seem you like you're just spouting off random company facts.

Also, don't worry too much about the demoing part of it. You don't need to know every product before you go there (In fact, I knew none of them, I had just heard of Lush a few weeks before when I applied). There're looking for raw talent, not refined skills. Be confident, and show that you're good at retaining some knowledge (for example, if they list 3 ingredients in the product they're demoing, try to remember at least 2). If you don't remember everything, that's okay. Don't get flustered. There will be times on the shop floor in the beginning where you may be talking about a product and you don't know any of the ingredients. They want to see that you'll remain calm, and be able to work around that.

Also, availability plays a huge key in this. If you're available three times a week you may have a harder time get hired. It's okay to not be available a day or two, and you don't have to be available all day for the days you can work, just try to make it so you can work a few days a week if they need it. Weekends are definitely a huge part of this. If you can't work Fri-Sun at all, you may not get hired, unless they're looking for someone who can specifically work during the weekdays. The weekends though are the time (my shop at least) need the most people. If you need Sundays off, or maybe Saturday, that's fine, but don't block out your whole weekend if you can avoid it.

Be confident, look prepared (but not too fakely prepared), and have fun! That's all there is too it, and then the rest it just up to what the shop needs and who else is applying.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Lush.

There was an extremely long "getting-to-know-you" type interview process, and it felt like a college orientation. We had to do a ton of telling about ourselves, and they asked some questions about how much we loved the product. It was pleasant, but felt a little too unstructured, and I ultimately had to leave early since I hadn't planned on the interview running for 3+ hours.

Interview Questions
    • They passed out M&M's and told you to take as many as you wanted; then you had to give a piece of information about your life for each M&M that you took.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lush.

Emailed my resume and cover letter to the store. Got an email back inviting me to a hiring party. There were about 10 other girls. We spilt into pairs and did "demos" on each other. They just want to see that you're able to hold a conversation really and obtain information. The employees walked around listening while the manager held very short interviews outside. Was asked why do you want to work here, what would you do if your co-worker was in a bad mood, typical interview questions but really short.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Lush in July 2014.

I had posted a review earlier from my first interview completely praising the experience (I stand by that). I thought that I didn't get offered a position, but it turns out that they were just a few days late on calling me to invite me to a second interview, culture hour!
    I got the call and came in about 1 week later, near closing. The manager interviewed me outside for about five minutes. He gave me some unexpected questions that I'll include below. The interview was one on one. Then we went in the store, and we discussed which products were most unfamiliar to me, which was shower gels. He "sold" it to me by going through the sales technique and then I did that back to him. It was really important to remember the ingredients that he mentioned when he demoed them on me. We did this two times. The second time he pretended to be a more difficult customer. If yours does that, just go with it and be polite and happy still. Demoing and not making a mess as you try to remember everything he told me and still follow the selling guideline was the hardest part.
    3 days later he called and said I'm hired! He was super nice and I love the staff that's there. Also the employee discount is 50% and he was extremely understanding about me having another part-time job.
    Hint: I recommend that you stretch the truth a little, if you know a product pretty well, say you don't. Still only include the information that the interviewer gives you, but then you'll be familiar with using the product so you don't have to worry about that as you scramble to remember the selling format and ingredients.

Interview Questions
    • If you had never been to Lush before, what would you think about it just based on the outside windows?
      Tell me about a time when you formed a friendship with a customer and how did that come about.
      When was a time when you got really great customer service?

Answer Question
    Non-negotiable, $10 per hour.

Floor Leader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Lush.

Lush posted on their facebook page that they were in search of a floor leader so I made sure to send in a superb cover letter. I expressed my knowledge of the company as well as my experience with products. I received an email back in 3 days asking to complete a questionnaire. The questions were designed so that anyone can have the freedom to express personal interest and individuality--so do so! Be you and be genuine. Lush loves nothing more than having passionate and eccentric individuals joining their company. I was asked another 3 days later if I was available to attend a hiring party. Show up 15 minutes early to give a good impression. I was the first and three others followed. We were paired into two groups and asked to get to know each other so we then could introduce each other to the group. Don't be nervous! My gal was shaking and asking simple questions such as: do you go to school, have pets? Yadayada...I'd suggest not doing so. You want to be able to turn back to the group and express corky perks about this individual. After that we then paired with another girl and practiced demoing massage bars and making conversations. The key holder asked questions such as "what do you look for in a manager?" And "what about working for lush appeals to you most?" We then again got into a large group and all answered group questions. I left feeling disappointed as I was the youngest and least experienced girl present so felt that I missed my chance. A week later I was invited to a one on one culture hour and was so ecstatic! I made sure to stop by the store for some purchases a few days beforehand to let the associates familiarize themselves with my face. The manager knew my name upon entry which made me feel great. At the culture hour the same manager was with me the entire time. The questions asked included "what experiences can aid you with employment at lush?"and "where do you see yourself going with lush?" She then treated me as a customer and demoed ocean salt on me. We then switched roles and I did two different situations with her. One wash with happy hippy and the use of lemony flutter and the second being the tis the night massage bar paired with the lust solid perfume. If you don't know too much about the product...use your nose! Smell the product, express what it reminds you of, (bright, earthy, sensual) be personable and pamper just as you would expect as a customer! I received a call back 4 days later with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • "How well do you work in a team, and why is being a team important?"

"How well do you take constructive criticism?"

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgewater, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgewater, NJ

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Lush in May 2014.

I applied online and was called the next day by the store's manager, informing me that I had been invited to a hiring party. A hiring party is a group interview; my group had four other women.

They began by asking us (in a group) to introduce ourselves and describe what our previous job experiences were. Try to stand out and be memorable! For example, I used my experience in Greek life and hosting rush events as sales experience. This stood out against other candidates, who mostly cited experience waitressing.

Next, they took us to the store to try products on each other. A sales associate would demonstrate a product on one of the interviewees (be sure to volunteer!) and describe the product. Then, we mimicked the demo on fellow interviewees. Don't take it too seriously! Have fun, laugh, and enjoy yourself. They're looking for people who can interact with customers naturally and are approachable, so keep that in mind.

While we were doing the demos, the managers would pull a candidate one by one for individual interviews. They ask about availability, strengths and weaknesses, etc. Have a few examples in your head of: when you've worked in a team, how you handled a situation that was going wrong, what you think makes a good manager, and strengths and weaknesses. Again, be confident! Working at LUSH is partly a sales job so confidence is key.

Later that day, I was called for a culture hour. At the culture hour, just observe, ask a lot of questions, read about the products, and show you're very interested in working there. At mine, I didn't have to interact with customers, but this may be different. At the end, I was taken aside by the manager, who asked me "what I thought" and "what kind of questions I asked the associates". She told be a bit about the position and offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    There was none, they told you what the pay was, the hours, and you could accept or decline.

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lush in May 2014.

I was invited to a "hiring party" which is a group interview that lasted 2 1/2 hrs! Mine was HUGE and consisted of 45 other applicants. It was loud (we couldn't hear instructions with employers yelling!), unorganized and chaotic.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. I was only asked 2 and another girl said she was only asked 2, as well. I wasn't quizzed on any Lush products and didn't hear anyone else being quizzed on them either. Prepare for basic/typical interview questions.   Answer Question