Lush Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.3

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Lush.

There was an extremely long "getting-to-know-you" type interview process, and it felt like a college orientation. We had to do a ton of telling about ourselves, and they asked some questions about how much we loved the product. It was pleasant, but felt a little too unstructured, and I ultimately had to leave early since I hadn't planned on the interview running for 3+ hours.

Interview Questions
    • They passed out M&M's and told you to take as many as you wanted; then you had to give a piece of information about your life for each M&M that you took.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lush.

Emailed my resume and cover letter to the store. Got an email back inviting me to a hiring party. There were about 10 other girls. We spilt into pairs and did "demos" on each other. They just want to see that you're able to hold a conversation really and obtain information. The employees walked around listening while the manager held very short interviews outside. Was asked why do you want to work here, what would you do if your co-worker was in a bad mood, typical interview questions but really short.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Lush in July 2014.

I had posted a review earlier from my first interview completely praising the experience (I stand by that). I thought that I didn't get offered a position, but it turns out that they were just a few days late on calling me to invite me to a second interview, culture hour!
    I got the call and came in about 1 week later, near closing. The manager interviewed me outside for about five minutes. He gave me some unexpected questions that I'll include below. The interview was one on one. Then we went in the store, and we discussed which products were most unfamiliar to me, which was shower gels. He "sold" it to me by going through the sales technique and then I did that back to him. It was really important to remember the ingredients that he mentioned when he demoed them on me. We did this two times. The second time he pretended to be a more difficult customer. If yours does that, just go with it and be polite and happy still. Demoing and not making a mess as you try to remember everything he told me and still follow the selling guideline was the hardest part.
    3 days later he called and said I'm hired! He was super nice and I love the staff that's there. Also the employee discount is 50% and he was extremely understanding about me having another part-time job.
    Hint: I recommend that you stretch the truth a little, if you know a product pretty well, say you don't. Still only include the information that the interviewer gives you, but then you'll be familiar with using the product so you don't have to worry about that as you scramble to remember the selling format and ingredients.

Interview Questions
    • If you had never been to Lush before, what would you think about it just based on the outside windows?
      Tell me about a time when you formed a friendship with a customer and how did that come about.
      When was a time when you got really great customer service?
        Answer Question
    Non-negotiable, $10 per hour.

Floor Leader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Lush.

Lush posted on their facebook page that they were in search of a floor leader so I made sure to send in a superb cover letter. I expressed my knowledge of the company as well as my experience with products. I received an email back in 3 days asking to complete a questionnaire. The questions were designed so that anyone can have the freedom to express personal interest and individuality--so do so! Be you and be genuine. Lush loves nothing more than having passionate and eccentric individuals joining their company. I was asked another 3 days later if I was available to attend a hiring party. Show up 15 minutes early to give a good impression. I was the first and three others followed. We were paired into two groups and asked to get to know each other so we then could introduce each other to the group. Don't be nervous! My gal was shaking and asking simple questions such as: do you go to school, have pets? Yadayada...I'd suggest not doing so. You want to be able to turn back to the group and express corky perks about this individual. After that we then paired with another girl and practiced demoing massage bars and making conversations. The key holder asked questions such as "what do you look for in a manager?" And "what about working for lush appeals to you most?" We then again got into a large group and all answered group questions. I left feeling disappointed as I was the youngest and least experienced girl present so felt that I missed my chance. A week later I was invited to a one on one culture hour and was so ecstatic! I made sure to stop by the store for some purchases a few days beforehand to let the associates familiarize themselves with my face. The manager knew my name upon entry which made me feel great. At the culture hour the same manager was with me the entire time. The questions asked included "what experiences can aid you with employment at lush?"and "where do you see yourself going with lush?" She then treated me as a customer and demoed ocean salt on me. We then switched roles and I did two different situations with her. One wash with happy hippy and the use of lemony flutter and the second being the tis the night massage bar paired with the lust solid perfume. If you don't know too much about the product...use your nose! Smell the product, express what it reminds you of, (bright, earthy, sensual) be personable and pamper just as you would expect as a customer! I received a call back 4 days later with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • "How well do you work in a team, and why is being a team important?"

"How well do you take constructive criticism?"
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgewater, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgewater, NJ

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Lush in May 2014.

I applied online and was called the next day by the store's manager, informing me that I had been invited to a hiring party. A hiring party is a group interview; my group had four other women.

They began by asking us (in a group) to introduce ourselves and describe what our previous job experiences were. Try to stand out and be memorable! For example, I used my experience in Greek life and hosting rush events as sales experience. This stood out against other candidates, who mostly cited experience waitressing.

Next, they took us to the store to try products on each other. A sales associate would demonstrate a product on one of the interviewees (be sure to volunteer!) and describe the product. Then, we mimicked the demo on fellow interviewees. Don't take it too seriously! Have fun, laugh, and enjoy yourself. They're looking for people who can interact with customers naturally and are approachable, so keep that in mind.

While we were doing the demos, the managers would pull a candidate one by one for individual interviews. They ask about availability, strengths and weaknesses, etc. Have a few examples in your head of: when you've worked in a team, how you handled a situation that was going wrong, what you think makes a good manager, and strengths and weaknesses. Again, be confident! Working at LUSH is partly a sales job so confidence is key.

Later that day, I was called for a culture hour. At the culture hour, just observe, ask a lot of questions, read about the products, and show you're very interested in working there. At mine, I didn't have to interact with customers, but this may be different. At the end, I was taken aside by the manager, who asked me "what I thought" and "what kind of questions I asked the associates". She told be a bit about the position and offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    There was none, they told you what the pay was, the hours, and you could accept or decline.

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lush in May 2014.

I was invited to a "hiring party" which is a group interview that lasted 2 1/2 hrs! Mine was HUGE and consisted of 45 other applicants. It was loud (we couldn't hear instructions with employers yelling!), unorganized and chaotic.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. I was only asked 2 and another girl said she was only asked 2, as well. I wasn't quizzed on any Lush products and didn't hear anyone else being quizzed on them either. Prepare for basic/typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Lush in April 2014.

Applied online and got a call from the hiring manager. They interviewed five people at same time. I don't think I got a chance to present myself properly, while interviewing with so many people around you. You barely get chance to talk to the manager.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Show them how would you sell a product to the customer.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Lush.

Applied online, contacted by store manager and invited to hiring party. About 8 other candidates present. We were grouped with the floor leader, who demonstrated a few of their products on a volunteer. We then took turns demo-ing products while the manager-in-training pulled each of us aside and interviewed us one on one.

Interview Questions

Only 10-20 hours available per week, low pay. Love the company and product, but not enough incentive to work there

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Lush in January 2014.

Hiring party. Was very helpful and very fun

Sales Floor Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lush in January 2014.

one on one with the shop manager, spent about 2 hours getting to know each other and my goals with LUSH if I were to get a job there. At the time the shop was new and not open yet, so we were unable to meet in the shop. The process now includes meeting in the actual shop to get to know the manager. I also feel like the interview process would not take 2 hours for the average person.

Interview Questions
    • it was a 2 hour conversation where the manager got to know me, and what I wanted to do with LUSH. There weren't any question thrown out to me from left field.   Answer Question