Lush

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Honolulu, HI

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Lush in July 2014.

Interview Details – I had posted a review earlier from my first interview completely praising the experience (I stand by that). I thought that I didn't get offered a position, but it turns out that they were just a few days late on calling me to invite me to a second interview, culture hour!
I got the call and came in about 1 week later, near closing. The manager interviewed me outside for about five minutes. He gave me some unexpected questions that I'll include below. The interview was one on one. Then we went in the store, and we discussed which products were most unfamiliar to me, which was shower gels. He "sold" it to me by going through the sales technique and then I did that back to him. It was really important to remember the ingredients that he mentioned when he demoed them on me. We did this two times. The second time he pretended to be a more difficult customer. If yours does that, just go with it and be polite and happy still. Demoing and not making a mess as you try to remember everything he told me and still follow the selling guideline was the hardest part.
3 days later he called and said I'm hired! He was super nice and I love the staff that's there. Also the employee discount is 50% and he was extremely understanding about me having another part-time job.
Hint: I recommend that you stretch the truth a little, if you know a product pretty well, say you don't. Still only include the information that the interviewer gives you, but then you'll be familiar with using the product so you don't have to worry about that as you scramble to remember the selling format and ingredients.

Interview Question – If you had never been to Lush before, what would you think about it just based on the outside windows?
Tell me about a time when you formed a friendship with a customer and how did that come about.
When was a time when you got really great customer service?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable, $10 per hour.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Lush in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call from the hiring manager. They interviewed five people at same time. I don't think I got a chance to present myself properly, while interviewing with so many people around you. You barely get chance to talk to the manager.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. Show them how would you sell a product to the customer.   Answer Question

Bridgewater, NJ

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Lush in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called the next day by the store's manager, informing me that I had been invited to a hiring party. A hiring party is a group interview; my group had four other women.

They began by asking us (in a group) to introduce ourselves and describe what our previous job experiences were. Try to stand out and be memorable! For example, I used my experience in Greek life and hosting rush events as sales experience. This stood out against other candidates, who mostly cited experience waitressing.

Next, they took us to the store to try products on each other. A sales associate would demonstrate a product on one of the interviewees (be sure to volunteer!) and describe the product. Then, we mimicked the demo on fellow interviewees. Don't take it too seriously! Have fun, laugh, and enjoy yourself. They're looking for people who can interact with customers naturally and are approachable, so keep that in mind.

While we were doing the demos, the managers would pull a candidate one by one for individual interviews. They ask about availability, strengths and weaknesses, etc. Have a few examples in your head of: when you've worked in a team, how you handled a situation that was going wrong, what you think makes a good manager, and strengths and weaknesses. Again, be confident! Working at LUSH is partly a sales job so confidence is key.

Later that day, I was called for a culture hour. At the culture hour, just observe, ask a lot of questions, read about the products, and show you're very interested in working there. At mine, I didn't have to interact with customers, but this may be different. At the end, I was taken aside by the manager, who asked me "what I thought" and "what kind of questions I asked the associates". She told be a bit about the position and offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Question – What makes someone a good manager?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none, they told you what the pay was, the hours, and you could accept or decline.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Lush in January 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring party. Was very helpful and very fun

Interview Question – They wanted to know my personal interests   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Lush.

Interview Details – Applied online, contacted by store manager and invited to hiring party. About 8 other candidates present. We were grouped with the floor leader, who demonstrated a few of their products on a volunteer. We then took turns demo-ing products while the manager-in-training pulled each of us aside and interviewed us one on one.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Only 10-20 hours available per week, low pay. Love the company and product, but not enough incentive to work there

Santa Monica, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Lush in May 2013.

Interview Details – After being a frequent customer I became more comfortable with the staff. One day in a conversation with a woman who turned out to be the a manager, I offhandedly mentioned I was job hunting. She immediately replied they were hiring and that I should bring my resume by.

The next day, I brought it in with a customized cover letter and found the manager and handed it to her directly (SKIP THE MIDDLEMAN WHENEVER POSSIBLE) with a genuine thank you for the opportunity.

A few days later I received an invitation to participate in a group interview (aka hiring party). About four other girls were there, and we were asked kind of "team-building" questions, such as:

"If you were an animal, what would you be and why?"
"Pick an item on your person or in your bag and sell it to us."

Then we had to go out onto the sales floor and learn about an item and accurately do a consult for it.

I immediately was offered the position.

Interview Question – What part of LUSH's mission do you most identify with?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – While I initially was hired for part-time, and they pay was terrible, I was ultimately able to negotiate a full-time position, and a significant pay raise. Just be reasonable and prove your valuable!

Baton Rouge, LA

I applied in-person and interviewed at Lush.

Interview Details – I turned in a CV in store and got a call for an interview about a week-two weeks later. It was a group interview and I could choose to go at 10AM or 6PM on Sunday. I chose the 6PM and there were only 2 other girls there. They had us demonstrate 4 hair products and 4 body products. We were pulled aside in the office for a one on one interview with the manager.

Interview Question – Talk about yourself   View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Lush in September 2013.

Interview Details – Hello!

I browse the open job at Lush.com and saw that they were having a 'hiring party' at certain dates and you can just go and bring your resume, anyways so i emailed them my resume and attended the Hiring party, which was yesterday, there were 5 other girls and they all looked like they had better chanced than i did, most of them looked like they got along SO well with managers, they were talking and laughing NONSTOP, i was like jeez i don't stand a chance, i am an introvert and have to force myself to socialize. That's what i did, i was awkward too at some point & thought i messed it up. :-/

Btw i'd like to say this, managers that interviewed me were SUPER nice and real people. The ones at Anthropologie and some other places i went to sucked so bad that i was so grateful to them to be nice and unpretencious.

Anyway so they started off by giving us a sheet to write our schedule and asked us to randomly pick up the paper clips as many as we want. After that they asked us to tell them one quality for each paper clips we have! i had 7, so i told them 7 things about me. After that we all went inside the store and one manager stayed in asking us to give him a demo of how they'd sell the products, it was fun. I was little nervous. Another manager took a one on one interview of each candidate which lasted 5-10 mins.

It lasted 1 hour 24 mins, after that we were told we'll be getting a call next day if they want to do a second interview or not, i got a call and was called for second interview next day. All they told me to do was to be on the floor and greet customers, they wanted to see how i'd interact with customers, I was NERVOUS, thought i wasn't freindly enough and each time i actually interacted the manager wasn't their to witness lol. They also pointed out the fact that crossing my arms is not good, which was what i guess i was doing unintentionally. So anyways, after a while i was called in and tol i got the job and can start training in few days! I WAS SO HAPPYYYYYYYY YAY

Interview Question – What would you say if you can't say 'Can i help you' ?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, $9 an hour is what they told me.

Seattle, WA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Lush in October 2011.

Interview Details – I found out about the job with Lush on Craigslist so I sent in my resume and was invited to a group interview. The group interview consisted of about 15 applicants. I know sometimes they are a bit smaller and sometimes they are a bit larger. I believe they called it a Hiring Party.

We all shuffled into the store and were divided up into groups where we went about performing tasks at different stations. They had an associate for example show us how to demonstrate a massage bar and then we took turns massaging each other and "selling" the product. Then we took turns selling giftsets, bath bombs, and finally a body scrub bar. I thought it was a fun way to learn a little about the product and the company, and it shows first hand your ability to perform the actual functions of their jobs.

They gave us stars based on our performance. Green stars were the best.

They really looked for people who were willing to jump in. Being enthusiastic, outgoing, and not shy are absolutely vital to success in this position. Even if you don't know what you are doing, just do your best and fake it until you make it. Volunteer first for EVERYTHING. Don't yell, but speak in a higher volume of voice then you would in a normal conversation as it will allow you to be heard when there are lots of people around as well as project a little more confidence. If you are someone who is naturally a bit more outspoken then just be yourself.

Also check out there website before the interview. Study the products a little bit and also research their company history and finally the environmental, human rights, and animal rights causes that they support.

I was offered the job two days later.

I rated the interview experience as average. If you are a person who is more reserved it will probably be a difficult interview for you as you really have to have guts and go for glory. I stand by average because it was a very different scenario then most interviews, but I know that many jobs make you go through multiple interviews and all kinds of background checks and tests.

Interview Question – What made you want to work Lush?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't a negotiation really. It was "Do you want the job?"

Pay was low. Hours aren't guaranteed. Bottom line is that it's retail.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Lush in May 2012.

Interview Details – I sent in my resume and filled out an application online well in advance because I was very enthusiastic about the new Lush opening up close to me. I basically stalked their twitter/facebook and my email for a few months while they were finding a manager (Yes, was kind of obsessed.) I finally got a call to come in for a hiring party at a store that was an hour and a half away from my home. I said yes because I really wanted this job.

I came in for the hiring party and the hiring manager was late so we walked around with one of the sales associates who showed us some of the products and demonstrations they do there. When the manager finally got there she pulled us each to the side one by one and asked us your basic interview questions. She was pretty rude and acted like she did NOT want to be there. She literally sneered at a few of my answers. (I own a bath and beauty company and am very knowledgeable about the industry)

Once our interview portion was done they dismissed us and told us that we would hear from them soon. I went out to meet my mom who was shopping in the mall there because we live pretty far away from anything and she wanted to wish me good luck before the interview. She decided she wanted to go back and get one of the treatments they demonstrated on us and shop around because she had never been to a lush store before. So we went back, chatted with the girls there and the hiring manager and bought a few things.

Overall they seemed peeved at us that we even came back. I never heard back from them and it's safe to say I'm kind of glad. Not saying everyone at Lush is like this but seems like I caught them on a bad day!

Interview Question – Where do you want to be in five years? (She laughed at this answer.)   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Lush

Worked for Lush? Contribute to the Community!