Lush

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Lush.

Interview Details – Applied online, contacted by store manager and invited to hiring party. About 8 other candidates present. We were grouped with the floor leader, who demonstrated a few of their products on a volunteer. We then took turns demo-ing products while the manager-in-training pulled each of us aside and interviewed us one on one.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Only 10-20 hours available per week, low pay. Love the company and product, but not enough incentive to work there

Santa Monica, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Lush in May 2013.

Interview Details – After being a frequent customer I became more comfortable with the staff. One day in a conversation with a woman who turned out to be the a manager, I offhandedly mentioned I was job hunting. She immediately replied they were hiring and that I should bring my resume by.

The next day, I brought it in with a customized cover letter and found the manager and handed it to her directly (SKIP THE MIDDLEMAN WHENEVER POSSIBLE) with a genuine thank you for the opportunity.

A few days later I received an invitation to participate in a group interview (aka hiring party). About four other girls were there, and we were asked kind of "team-building" questions, such as:

"If you were an animal, what would you be and why?"
"Pick an item on your person or in your bag and sell it to us."

Then we had to go out onto the sales floor and learn about an item and accurately do a consult for it.

I immediately was offered the position.

Interview Question – What part of LUSH's mission do you most identify with?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – While I initially was hired for part-time, and they pay was terrible, I was ultimately able to negotiate a full-time position, and a significant pay raise. Just be reasonable and prove your valuable!

Baton Rouge, LA

I applied in-person and interviewed at Lush.

Interview Details – I turned in a CV in store and got a call for an interview about a week-two weeks later. It was a group interview and I could choose to go at 10AM or 6PM on Sunday. I chose the 6PM and there were only 2 other girls there. They had us demonstrate 4 hair products and 4 body products. We were pulled aside in the office for a one on one interview with the manager.

Interview Question – Talk about yourself   View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Lush in September 2013.

Interview Details – Hello!

I browse the open job at Lush.com and saw that they were having a 'hiring party' at certain dates and you can just go and bring your resume, anyways so i emailed them my resume and attended the Hiring party, which was yesterday, there were 5 other girls and they all looked like they had better chanced than i did, most of them looked like they got along SO well with managers, they were talking and laughing NONSTOP, i was like jeez i don't stand a chance, i am an introvert and have to force myself to socialize. That's what i did, i was awkward too at some point & thought i messed it up. :-/

Btw i'd like to say this, managers that interviewed me were SUPER nice and real people. The ones at Anthropologie and some other places i went to sucked so bad that i was so grateful to them to be nice and unpretencious.

Anyway so they started off by giving us a sheet to write our schedule and asked us to randomly pick up the paper clips as many as we want. After that they asked us to tell them one quality for each paper clips we have! i had 7, so i told them 7 things about me. After that we all went inside the store and one manager stayed in asking us to give him a demo of how they'd sell the products, it was fun. I was little nervous. Another manager took a one on one interview of each candidate which lasted 5-10 mins.

It lasted 1 hour 24 mins, after that we were told we'll be getting a call next day if they want to do a second interview or not, i got a call and was called for second interview next day. All they told me to do was to be on the floor and greet customers, they wanted to see how i'd interact with customers, I was NERVOUS, thought i wasn't freindly enough and each time i actually interacted the manager wasn't their to witness lol. They also pointed out the fact that crossing my arms is not good, which was what i guess i was doing unintentionally. So anyways, after a while i was called in and tol i got the job and can start training in few days! I WAS SO HAPPYYYYYYYY YAY

Interview Question – What would you say if you can't say 'Can i help you' ?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, $9 an hour is what they told me.

Seattle, WA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Lush in October 2011.

Interview Details – I found out about the job with Lush on Craigslist so I sent in my resume and was invited to a group interview. The group interview consisted of about 15 applicants. I know sometimes they are a bit smaller and sometimes they are a bit larger. I believe they called it a Hiring Party.

We all shuffled into the store and were divided up into groups where we went about performing tasks at different stations. They had an associate for example show us how to demonstrate a massage bar and then we took turns massaging each other and "selling" the product. Then we took turns selling giftsets, bath bombs, and finally a body scrub bar. I thought it was a fun way to learn a little about the product and the company, and it shows first hand your ability to perform the actual functions of their jobs.

They gave us stars based on our performance. Green stars were the best.

They really looked for people who were willing to jump in. Being enthusiastic, outgoing, and not shy are absolutely vital to success in this position. Even if you don't know what you are doing, just do your best and fake it until you make it. Volunteer first for EVERYTHING. Don't yell, but speak in a higher volume of voice then you would in a normal conversation as it will allow you to be heard when there are lots of people around as well as project a little more confidence. If you are someone who is naturally a bit more outspoken then just be yourself.

Also check out there website before the interview. Study the products a little bit and also research their company history and finally the environmental, human rights, and animal rights causes that they support.

I was offered the job two days later.

I rated the interview experience as average. If you are a person who is more reserved it will probably be a difficult interview for you as you really have to have guts and go for glory. I stand by average because it was a very different scenario then most interviews, but I know that many jobs make you go through multiple interviews and all kinds of background checks and tests.

Interview Question – What made you want to work Lush?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't a negotiation really. It was "Do you want the job?"

Pay was low. Hours aren't guaranteed. Bottom line is that it's retail.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Lush in May 2012.

Interview Details – I sent in my resume and filled out an application online well in advance because I was very enthusiastic about the new Lush opening up close to me. I basically stalked their twitter/facebook and my email for a few months while they were finding a manager (Yes, was kind of obsessed.) I finally got a call to come in for a hiring party at a store that was an hour and a half away from my home. I said yes because I really wanted this job.

I came in for the hiring party and the hiring manager was late so we walked around with one of the sales associates who showed us some of the products and demonstrations they do there. When the manager finally got there she pulled us each to the side one by one and asked us your basic interview questions. She was pretty rude and acted like she did NOT want to be there. She literally sneered at a few of my answers. (I own a bath and beauty company and am very knowledgeable about the industry)

Once our interview portion was done they dismissed us and told us that we would hear from them soon. I went out to meet my mom who was shopping in the mall there because we live pretty far away from anything and she wanted to wish me good luck before the interview. She decided she wanted to go back and get one of the treatments they demonstrated on us and shop around because she had never been to a lush store before. So we went back, chatted with the girls there and the hiring manager and bought a few things.

Overall they seemed peeved at us that we even came back. I never heard back from them and it's safe to say I'm kind of glad. Not saying everyone at Lush is like this but seems like I caught them on a bad day!

Interview Question – Where do you want to be in five years? (She laughed at this answer.)   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Lush.

Interview Details – Worst interview I have ever been to, hands down! I love Lush but the hiring and interview process is insane! Be prepared to dance and be at a "job fair" with about 60 people for 1-2 hours. I understand that we are in a tough economy but making people jump through hoops just for a chance to get a minimum wage job is ridiculous!

Interview Question – Be prepared to come up with creative ways to sell products and do a lot of role play.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got a job elsewhere where they offer a job that pays more and values my professionalism.

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lush in February 2008.

Interview Details – I walked into the Lush store and asked to speak to a manager and handed my resume directly to her. She asked me a series of questions on the spot, such as "Why do you want to work at Lush?" and "Have you been to Lush before", as well as "Do you have a favourite product?". Then she called me back after a few days and informed me that there would be a group interview the following week. There were 2 interviewers and about 7 interviewees. The two interviewers took turns asking questions to each of us by making us pull random questions out of a hat. Then we were givin a questionnaire that took about 10 minutes to fill out. it had questions concerning our availability and why we wanted to work for Lush. Then, each interviewee had to pick a product out of a box and we were given 5 minutes to brainstorm a way to sell the product to the person sitting next to us, then we took turns presenting the way that we would sell the product to a customer. We were all thanked for coming to the interview and were told that if we made it to the second round, we would be called within the next 4 days to schedule a floor trial. I was called 4 days later and had my floor trial scheduled in that same week. the floor trial was just myself on the sales floor greeting customers for about 10 minutes so that the managers could see how naturally i was able to interact with the customers. I was then hired on the spot.

Interview Question – "What would you makes you qualified to work at Lush versus someone else?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate anything concerning my wage. I was told that I was going to be paid minimum wage.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Lush? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lush Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Lush employees and interview candidates.