Lutron Interview Questions

3.2

Associate Marketing Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coopersburg, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Coopersburg, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lutron in March 2015.

After a tour of the campus, I delivered a pre-prepared marketing strategy presentation to two marketing employees, followed by a role-playing interview, a casual lunch with another employee from the marketing department, and later some interviews with HR personnel. I was situated in a designated interviewing room, located beside four other rooms with candidates. Overall, I greatly enjoyed the experience and all of my interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • What is one experience that you enjoyed most and that would have prepared you for this position?
      Why are you interested in this job and Lutron?

Answer Question

Project Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lutron in March 2015.

It was a phone interview. They were supposed to call me in skype but finally they called me in phone. He asked me about my background, my projects. It was 45 minutes interview. The interviewer was very nice. The job description was not that clear. There were several positions of Project Software Engineer.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me about my resume. He asked me some questions from my resume. He was asking me about my projects and my interest. He was curious that I am interested in data base field or programming field. I told him about some of my projects. I told him about my iOS project and Web Tools project.   Answer Question

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lutron in March 2015.

I really enjoyed the interview. First phone interview with questions about things on my resume, a brain teaser in which the interviewer helped me with coming to a solution. Actually the solution that the interviewer proposed to me was incorrect after I double checked after the interview. This all just means that they want to see how you think and work through a problem.

Project Electrical Engineer - Analog Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coopersburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coopersburg, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lutron in March 2015.

Approximately 7-8 rounds, as discussed in other reviews:
    1.) Recruiter - Basic transcript review, behavioral questions, etc.
    2.) Technical - They're looking for how you think through a problem in your field. Mine was the step input/bias PNP circuit as others have talked about.
    3.) Creative - Here they ask you questions geared towards another engineering discipline in an obvious attempt to see how well your remember fundamental engineering principles (Hooke's law, etc.)
    4.) Lunch - Meet with a younger employee and tour the campus. I was asked some fairly straightforward questions such as 'What does ESD stand for?' and 'What is the range of common household voltages around the world?'
    5.) Role Play - They give you an hour to figure out a very complex problem one customer is having. Make sure to be very professional from the get-go.
    6.) HR - I talked with a senior HR member and discussed why I wanted to work for Lutron, as well as what I'd look for in prospective employees if I owned a company.
    7.) Overview - This one was very vague. I talked with someone who was working on RF things and he asked what my interests were and what fields I'd like to get into at Lutron.
    8.) Recruiter wrap-up

All told, it was an 8 hour day and fairly tiring.

Interview Questions
    • How would you measure the height of a kite given unlimited resources?
      How would you measure the weight of a car with only a ruler?

Answer Question

Project Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Lutron.

First had a phone interview. That started with a few behavorial questions. Then a problem solving scenario about determining the weight of a truck and if it could safely travel over a bridge. It was very basic estimation then they kept giving you things like a ruler and pressure gauge to help you. It was an interesting problem solving exercise that they helped you with.

They then flew me out for an in person interview. This began with a sorry tour and demonstration of their products. Then the others and I were taken into individual rooms.

There were three rounds of interviews. The first was behavorial questions, then one about technical questions, then a problem solving scenario again, similar to to truck, but it also involved a little bit of marketing.

I then had lunch with one of their engineers in their cafeteria. This went alright, but was slightly awkward because I hadn't spoken with him until lunch, and they asked a lot of questions while I was trying to eat which was difficult.

After lunch I was taken around and shown a couple of engineers desks. I was introduced to a few people. He made sure to introduce me to someone who graduated from my school. It was weird that when he introduced me he said that i had been bad mouthing my school, which I had not been. I love my school. This rubbed me the wrong way, and honestly upset me that he would lie about me to another employee directly in front of me.

It was around 130pm when the tour finished and I was brought back to the little interview room. I thought I was done at this point because my iteniary said was supposed to be picked up and taken back to the airport at 2. I heard someone talk to the two other candidates (through the wall) and then escort them out while I waited in my room.

After waiting for a while, thinking they forgot about me, I was told I was going to have another interview with two people at this point. It was another scenario type interview where I was an employee and had to solve a problem. The 2 guys pretended to be multiple people that I had to call and solve this problem. I would "call" one of them with a specific name and title to get a little bit of information, with someone else to contract or a little bit of information was given to me. This lasted about an hour and a half. It was a frustrating experience because they would lead me in a direction of a solution, and after a while they would tell me that solution is wrong and I had to start over at square one. This happened multiple times. By the end of it I had "called" around 25 different people with different titles and phone numbers that I had to keep track of on a blank piece of paper. The two guys interviewing me made if difficult because some of the people were not helpful and mean/ angry. There was also an senior engineer who was my resource, but he kept asking me what I thought could be the cause of the problem. I told him my possible solutions, which according to him were all possible. It was annoying that at least 3 times after that he did the same thing, and I have no knowledge in the area of the problem and he was supposed to be my resource, but some how expected me to magically come up with something. They eventually lead me in the correct direction so that I could contact the customer with the solution.

I understand the point of this exercise, but they just took it too far and made it a miserable experience.

Based on the type of people and how I was treated I decided on my walk out that even if I was offered a position there is no way I would accept an offer. Fortunately I was not offered a position, so I didn't have to tell them hell no.

IT Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Lutron in February 2015.

Phone call that lasted a hour with them asking questions about resume and general questions and some situational questions. Asked some questions about the company and what you knew about it. Phone call was okay since the guy was easy to talk

Project Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview process was very well laid out and easy. HR provided clear instructions on stay and compensated all expenses to travel to PA. Interview process included 12 interviewers who asked questions ranging from "tell me about yourself" to complex logical puzzles. Interview concluded with a tour and a lunch with a staff member at their cafeteria. Very nice company.

Interview Questions
    • How would you measure the height of an airplane without any instrumentation?   Answer Question

Got better offer from another employer

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lutron.

Applied online and soon received an email from HR to fill put a form and was asked for 3 references in the form. Followed by a telephonic interview. I was asked a little about my background followed by two questions. First, OOP design of a vending machine. Second, a trick question: A man is standing in a boat in the center of a lake. Assume ideal conditions and no external forces are playing any role. There is a marker in the lake that marks the water level as X. The man throws the rock in the lake, now the marker reads the level as Y. What is X in relation to Y?
    Received a call from the HR in 2 hours to schedule an onsite interview.
    There were 3 rounds. First was a presentation round, where I could present any of my school projects.
    Second was a UI/UX designing round.(this was kinda unexpected)
    Third was the imagination round where I was given the situation that I work for the dept of road safety and transport and my boss thinks that increasing the speed limit will help people save time. He's asking whether we should do it?

Soon after 3 days received a reject. I kind of messed up the imagination round. But must commend them on the very responsive and cooperative nature of people at Lutron. There are some really smart people in the company and they are passionate about their work.

Interview Questions
    • The imagination round is something you cannot prepare for.   Answer Question

Construction and Design Development Program Interview

It's a 30-minute phone interview asking you to talk about everything you listed in your resume and every detail of them, very detail. The interviewer seems more interest in working experience rather than academic projects. After going through the resume, the interviewer asked me a very general question like how to open a hotel.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lutron.

Recruiter sent me an link and a specific code to login in the website. I am asked to answer several behavior questions and two technical questions. Questions are very general. It still includes some IQ tests. For example, one question is how to escape a 5-meters-deep well in the tropical rainforest.

Interview Questions
    • Try to explain the difference between abstract class and interface.   Answer Question