Lutron Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

3.2

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coopersburg, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lutron (Coopersburg, PA).

Interview

Very thorough and takes place over 2 full days. You are interviewed by several people each day from different departments. Each person comes from a different part of the company. Personnel could come from engineering, sales, marketing, etc.

Interview Questions

• How can you grow this business   1 Answer

Materials Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coopersburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Lutron (Coopersburg, PA).

Interview

Very thorough interview process. Often times, met with several individuals from various departments based on position. The interview generally lasted a full day with meetings and an on-site tour.

Senior Project Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Lutron.

Interview

I applied online, they called me for a quick "get to know you" interview. They then decided they would be interested in moving on in the process. I then took a personality profile and aptitude test. Went for an on site interview. The actual interview was A WHOLE DAY LONG. Be prepared to be tested on your area of study. I was interviewed in 5-6 different sessions by people in different areas of engineering at the company. It certainly was grueling, but everyone was very polite, and friendly. I got the feeling that everyone I interviewed with was pretty smart. They knew their engineering stuff backwards and forwards. The fact that they put employees through this kind of screen process is very promising. I could tell that everyone actually cared about the company.

Interview Questions

• You work for the DOT. There is a proposal to raise the speed limit on all PA highways from 55 to 75. Your boss is coming in for a meeting in 30 minutes. Decide what to do and pitch your conclusion to him/her.   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Lutron (Lafayette, IN) in April 2015.

Interview

Two telephone interview. One technical and one behavioral. The interview is not too hard. Average of each is around half an hour. The interviewer will chat with you and basically go over your resume and ask the question on it. Also prepare as many as you can for the 3 lights question.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coopersburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lutron (Coopersburg, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

After a brief phone screen, online assessment and a phone call with the hiring manager, I was asked to go to Coopersburg for an all day interview. The interview started at 8:15 with a tour of their show house, to demonstrate all of their lighting and shade products. After that I was placed in a conference room where everyone rotated in and out. I interviewed with 7 people in total, most from different departments. The strange thing about all of the interviewers was that they said exactly the same thing during the interview - "everyone at Lutron is really smart", and I still can't figure out if it meant that people who don't work at Lutron are dumb, OR if they have to tell themselves everyday how smart they are so they can actually start to believe it. Another interviewer asked me what I thought of their interview process as though Lutron is the only company that uses all day interviews with some logic exercises. The logic exercise is a role playing one - you have to track something down that is critical to a customer order, and the answer is so far out of left field that only some engineer that actually designed this critical part could figure out the answer. As far as the job itself, the message I took away based on the answers to my questions was that Senior leadership was a nightmare to work with/for but everyone below them was ok. I left the interview knowing that if I managed to get an offer that I would turn it down, as everyone I interacted with came off as smug and with a "better than you" attitude.

Interview Questions

• Here is a problem that Lutron currently faces, how would you solve it   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lutron in March 2015.

Interview

It was a phone interview. They were supposed to call me in skype but finally they called me in phone. He asked me about my background, my projects. It was 45 minutes interview. The interviewer was very nice. The job description was not that clear. There were several positions of Project Software Engineer.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about my resume. He asked me some questions from my resume. He was asking me about my projects and my interest. He was curious that I am interested in data base field or programming field. I told him about some of my projects. I told him about my iOS project and Web Tools project.   Answer Question

Associate Marketing Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coopersburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lutron (Coopersburg, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

After a tour of the campus, I delivered a pre-prepared marketing strategy presentation to two marketing employees, followed by a role-playing interview, a casual lunch with another employee from the marketing department, and later some interviews with HR personnel. I was situated in a designated interviewing room, located beside four other rooms with candidates. Overall, I greatly enjoyed the experience and all of my interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What is one experience that you enjoyed most and that would have prepared you for this position? Why are you interested in this job and Lutron?   Answer Question

Project Electrical Engineer - Analog Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coopersburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lutron (Coopersburg, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Approximately 7-8 rounds, as discussed in other reviews: 1.) Recruiter - Basic transcript review, behavioral questions, etc. 2.) Technical - They're looking for how you think through a problem in your field. Mine was the step input/bias PNP circuit as others have talked about. 3.) Creative - Here they ask you questions geared towards another engineering discipline in an obvious attempt to see how well your remember fundamental engineering principles (Hooke's law, etc.) 4.) Lunch - Meet with a younger employee and tour the campus. I was asked some fairly straightforward questions such as 'What does ESD stand for?' and 'What is the range of common household voltages around the world?' 5.) Role Play - They give you an hour to figure out a very complex problem one customer is having. Make sure to be very professional from the get-go. 6.) HR - I talked with a senior HR member and discussed why I wanted to work for Lutron, as well as what I'd look for in prospective employees if I owned a company. 7.) Overview - This one was very vague. I talked with someone who was working on RF things and he asked what my interests were and what fields I'd like to get into at Lutron. 8.) Recruiter wrap-up All told, it was an 8 hour day and fairly tiring.

Interview Questions

• How would you measure the height of a kite given unlimited resources? How would you measure the weight of a car with only a ruler?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Lutron in March 2015.

Interview

The initial step is phone interview for about 45 mins. The interview was quite good. The interviewer tells you about the company and then asks you puzzle of 3 bulbs and 3 switches and determine which switch is for which bulb. Later, you are asked a simple java question to implement, where you are given the scenario.

Interview Questions

• - There are 2 adjacent rooms and one room has 3 bulbs and the other room has 3 switches. Given only one chance to go from one room to another, how will you determine which switch is for which bulb. - Implement undo() method for a paint class. (it should revert previous changes each time you call the method)   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

It started with a recruiter with a behavioral question, and then followed up with an engineer for technical interview phone screen. If you passed this stage, they would ask you to come onsite. The company HR was a bit disorganized with no mention on how expenses being reimburse and the procedure of the interview process. I came into onsite at 8.15am and this is how it goes 1) tour of the lutron demo room 2) technical interview consists of embedded software problem 3) brainstorming of the problem that is unrelated to the position that you are being interviewed (not quite sure why this is being held). Must be good with basic physics 4) lunch with one of the employees follow up with tour of the building 5) Interview with the senior Hr and consists of some behavioral question If you do not get a role play during your interview process. It is most likely that you did not get the job, and please stop wasting your time and move on with your other interview process with other companies. I think i did really well on the first embedded technical interview question. I did an average on the brainstorming interview stage. I am not quite sure why i was being rejected but seem to me that the company usually bring in a lot of people for onsite even though they have a limited number of job opening in the company. The HR was very disorganized with no mention of how the interview being conducted. I was left waiting in the room alone for numerous number of time

Interview Questions

• The debouncing circuit as mentioned by others   1 Answer