Lutron

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

3.2

Electrical Engineer Interview

Started from a career fair, and got a phone interview after 3 weeks. The phone interview is really basic about diode, PWM circuit and etc. Then an on-site interview which took a day. Started from giving a presentation to some people from other departments with two rounds of tech interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you are hired by a kite company to raise their profit of selling kites, what will you do?   Answer Question

Project Electrical Engineer - Analog Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Lutron in November 2014.

The phone interviews is initially very conversational. I would say the key to getting this right is to be as extensive as possible in coming up with the solutions for the stated problem and for each solutions, make sure the idea is crystal clear in your mind. One thing that the interviewer always does is to keep asking you questions about something you talk uncertainly. I was asked the usual question about an LED being connected to a 5 V rail and the source is a 120 V AC- how would you make the circuit work. Start with a simple resistor as a solution. Note that the LED has different ways of brightness control and turn-off. So, you can focus on any one of these ( simplest one prefered, both for your sake and the interviewer's ) for your solution. There is also one imaginative question. I was asked the 3 light bulb, 3 switches in a different room question. I was honest and told the interviewer that I had heard about the question earlier. I think that was a good thing as he seemed impressed with my plain honesty. He then asked me- " you are stuck in a trench, deep enough that you cannot get out directly. How would you get out?". You are expected to be really creative, not realistic in this question. So, feel free to make the conversation slightly casual, but keep trying to answer the question all the same. I was able to mention 4 different solutions, some laughable, but accepted. Make sure you mention all the assumptions you make in reaching the solutions. Make sure the interviewer in following your thought process (this applies to all the questions). Also, make sure you understand and convey power electronics concepts on DC-DC and DC-AC-DC conversions very clearly. I was then called for the onsite interview in Coopersberg, PA. This is typically a 5 hour process. Understand this- if your interview gets over after lunch, it does not mean that you are rejected. The process is strictly 5 hour long and they stick to the time schedule. There were 4 rounds of interviews. Make sure you are very attentive when they take you on a tour of the experience center. You HAVE to ask as many questions as possible to the people you meet that day. The fisrt session is a presentation. The second is a tech chat where they ask you the basic light bulb question about which is brighter. They will try to figure out your weak point and question you relentlessly on that. Make sure you do NOT get frustrated or give up at any point. This lasts for an hour and a half usually. Then is the creative question- here the question is more decision making types. This is the tricky part. You are very closely observed on this one. Then the lunch and the office tour. Both are excellent places to ask questions and understand the company and the work culture. But this is a trick part too. I am yet to hear back from them, but their response was fairly good about my performance from their feedback on the interview day and follow-up.

Interview Questions
    • Lunch interview, the interviewer kept talking about microcontrollers and it was not my field of expertise   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Lutron in November 2014.

Got a phone interview during which they asked some technical questions and went through my resume. Invited to on-site interview after two weeks. Had to give a presentation, went through one round of technical and one round of case interview.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate how much energy can be saved if using a certain light bulb   Answer Question

Project Electrical Engineer - Analog Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lutron in October 2014.

Dropped my resume off at my school's career fair, heard back from them that night and scheduled an interview with them for the next day in my school's career office. Was mostly a techincal interview, asking about power electronics. Be able to explain DC to DC conversion, covering resistor dividers, voltage regulators, and buck and boost converters. Make sure you can say when you'd want to use a voltage reg versus a buck converter and vice versa, ( think voltage dissipation issues for the reg!).
    I was contacted the next day and told that I had passed the first round and would be moving onto the final round of interviews.
    Final Round Interview
    7 to 8 hour all day process. You will have multiple interviewers who will keep you on your toes.
    I personally had, and in this order:
    1. Behavioral interview, 1v1 standard walking through your resume
    2. Technical interview, I had the same 2 questions as the hpast two reviews mentioned, light bulb in series, and a PNP (NOT npn), transistor with a cap at the base. Vo(0-)=-10, Vo(0+)dv/dt, Vo(infinity)= 0.7 (due to the diode drop).
    3. Case Interview, 1v1, surprising but be prepared to think on your feet and walk through your assumptions. If you see something wrong with your result for a market size, re-look your assumptions and evaluate which ones you might need to change.
    4. Lunch, 1v1 : had lunch with an employee and got a tour of their facilities.
    5. Role-play interview 2v1: You're put into the shoes of a new engineer who has to take care of a customer call. I'd really suggest keeping track of time, which got me in the end.
    6 &7. Behavioral Interviews 1v1: teh first one was a skype interview with an executive where he asked me about my resume, and when I said I wanted to do analog, he made sure I knew the ideal and non-ideal op amp properties. the last interview was a short meeting with a HR exec.
    As of right now I'm waiting to hear back

Interview Questions
    • Look at the other questions posted for analog engineer, it'll probably be the same.   View Answers (2)

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coopersburg, PA

Applied through university career development services and followed-up at career fair. The Career Fair booth attendee, a current employee and prior intern, supplied plenty of information about the specific position, but the interview process was entirely dependent on resume and cover letter. The first round of the interview process was conducted on a third-party website with no human on the other side of the webcam. Video, multiple choice, and essay-style responses were recorded, primarily focusing on company background and personal academic profile such as why you chose your school/major.
    Also follow-up up on a school-sponsored site visit. The corporate culture is very traditional, dress (business) formal during any interviewing opportunities.

Interview Questions
    • You are hiking through the jungle and stumble across a treasure chest in a 9ft DIA, 11 ft deep hole. List solutions to the retrieval of the treasure chest.   View Answer

Innovation Leadership Program - Mechanical Engineer Interview

My university conducted a "virtual career fair" where you can talk to recruiters through an online chat room. Lutron's representative was part of their Innovation Leadership Program, so he talked to me about that briefly. Unlike most other leadership programs I've looked into, this program is not rotational and will take place at their headquarters in Coopersburg. Seems like a fairly new program and could not find much information on it on the Lutron website.

Interview Questions
    • They first asked me some questions about my resume and how my interests could be relevant to their company. They will definitely ask a technical question, most likely related to manufacturing for the mechanical engineering position. "If you have two 1 in. x 1 in. pieces of metal (one is aluminum and the other is copper), how would you permanently attach them together?"   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Lutron.

Career Fair- explained my resume and the representative asked very explicit details about my work history. They did not seem to care about grades as much as interpersonal skills. I really hope that I do get a callback from them at some point next week. Another question was why I wanted to be a salesperson (because my resume background was more research based) and what qualifications I have.

Project Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Lutron.

Be ready for a full day with every single type of interview question thrown your way. You'll go through a technical question, personality interview, imagination session, role play session, company tour, and, often times, a conversation with a senior manager at the company. Always be on your toes, ask lots of questions, and be sure you've done your research before showing up.

Interview Questions
    • The role play was the most difficult. I had to "troubleshoot" an issue with two engineers acting as whomever I needed to invoke. They could serve as my manager and answer questions; the field service engineer who could provide details; and really anybody else I needed.   View Answer
    They don't really negotiate and they tell you this openly. The offer was fair, though, so I happily accepted.

Systems Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coopersburg, PA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Lutron in September 2014.

Sent resume in via their site. Was asked to do a phone interview initially. The interview went very good as I was asked a lot of technical questions on how I would diagnose certain products. The next day I was asked to come in for an interview which I tried scheduling for a certain time but I was told that they do all day interviews and "couldn't fit it in" a certain time frame. That's fine for a college graduate who doesn't have a current job but I was consulting for another company at the time and couldn't afford missing a whole days wage on a gamble. I asked if anything could be worked out and they ignored me -- never heard anything back from them.

Project Electrical Engineer - Embedded Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lutron in September 2014.

Got the phone interview and did not do well. Asked about designing a simple embedded system in the first interview. It was about design a system to light up an LED bulb using a switch and a microprocessor. It was not a difficult question I believe but did not expect it was going to be this techie.

Interview Questions
    • Using a microprocessor and a switch, design a system to light up an LED bulb.   Answer Question