Lutron Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

3.2

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coopersburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Lutron (Coopersburg, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process at Lutron is very structured and organized. After applying online, there were two phone interviews. One behavioral and one technical. Shortly after I received an invitation for an onsite interview.
    This all day interview really tests if you are the right fit for Lutron. It consists of several personal interviews with numerous people from different areas of the company. The interview material depends on the position you are applying for.
    My advice is to stay calm and be friendly and optimistic with every interviewer. Answer each question with confidence and do not let your mistakes ruin your attitude. They want to see how you act when you are posed with a question that you may not know.

Overall, I was very impressed with Lutron's interview process. They thoroughly process each and everyone of their candidates in order to make sure they find the best people. I got the impression that every person I met with was highly intelligent and passionate about their careers.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Lutron.

Interview

First had a phone interview. That started with a few behavorial questions. Then a problem solving scenario about determining the weight of a truck and if it could safely travel over a bridge. It was very basic estimation then they kept giving you things like a ruler and pressure gauge to help you. It was an interesting problem solving exercise that they helped you with.

They then flew me out for an in person interview. This began with a sorry tour and demonstration of their products. Then the others and I were taken into individual rooms.

There were three rounds of interviews. The first was behavorial questions, then one about technical questions, then a problem solving scenario again, similar to to truck, but it also involved a little bit of marketing.

I then had lunch with one of their engineers in their cafeteria. This went alright, but was slightly awkward because I hadn't spoken with him until lunch, and they asked a lot of questions while I was trying to eat which was difficult.

After lunch I was taken around and shown a couple of engineers desks. I was introduced to a few people. He made sure to introduce me to someone who graduated from my school. It was weird that when he introduced me he said that i had been bad mouthing my school, which I had not been. I love my school. This rubbed me the wrong way, and honestly upset me that he would lie about me to another employee directly in front of me.

It was around 130pm when the tour finished and I was brought back to the little interview room. I thought I was done at this point because my iteniary said was supposed to be picked up and taken back to the airport at 2. I heard someone talk to the two other candidates (through the wall) and then escort them out while I waited in my room.

After waiting for a while, thinking they forgot about me, I was told I was going to have another interview with two people at this point. It was another scenario type interview where I was an employee and had to solve a problem. The 2 guys pretended to be multiple people that I had to call and solve this problem. I would "call" one of them with a specific name and title to get a little bit of information, with someone else to contract or a little bit of information was given to me. This lasted about an hour and a half. It was a frustrating experience because they would lead me in a direction of a solution, and after a while they would tell me that solution is wrong and I had to start over at square one. This happened multiple times. By the end of it I had "called" around 25 different people with different titles and phone numbers that I had to keep track of on a blank piece of paper. The two guys interviewing me made if difficult because some of the people were not helpful and mean/ angry. There was also an senior engineer who was my resource, but he kept asking me what I thought could be the cause of the problem. I told him my possible solutions, which according to him were all possible. It was annoying that at least 3 times after that he did the same thing, and I have no knowledge in the area of the problem and he was supposed to be my resource, but some how expected me to magically come up with something. They eventually lead me in the correct direction so that I could contact the customer with the solution.

I understand the point of this exercise, but they just took it too far and made it a miserable experience.

Based on the type of people and how I was treated I decided on my walk out that even if I was offered a position there is no way I would accept an offer. Fortunately I was not offered a position, so I didn't have to tell them hell no.

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Lutron in February 2015.

Interview

Phone call that lasted a hour with them asking questions about resume and general questions and some situational questions. Asked some questions about the company and what you knew about it. Phone call was okay since the guy was easy to talk

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lutron (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

there was video link . after which the recruiter gives you number of scenarios in which you have to answer within a given time . After which they would contact you after an year. The questions would usually be general and nothing more than 5-6 minutes. mainly look on your approaches

Project Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lutron (State College, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

Before Lutron came to my schools career fair, they emailed all students in the Computer Science department a programming challenge (write a program that finds all palindromes given a list of words). If you correctly completed the challenge, they would give you a prize at the career fair, and consider you for an interview. I completed the challenge, and talked to a recruiter at the career fair. I mentioned that my GPA was slightly below their 3.0 requirement, and they said that it didn't matter, they were impressed with my code and wanted to interview me anyway. They scheduled a Skype interview with me two weeks later. Come interview time, I get on Skype at the scheduled time, and half an hour after the interview was supposed to start, the interviewer still had not shown, so I called the woman who I scheduled the interview with. She says the interviewer was out at lunch and he will give me a call when he returns. Two hours later, I finally receive a phone call from the College Relations Leader. He tells me that my GPA did not meet the 3.0 requirement and that he would not be interviewing me. This company is extremely unprofessional, and I recommend you do not waste your time.

Interview Questions

• Write a program that finds all palindromes given a list.   Answer Question

Interview

Interview process was very well laid out and easy. HR provided clear instructions on stay and compensated all expenses to travel to PA. Interview process included 12 interviewers who asked questions ranging from "tell me about yourself" to complex logical puzzles. Interview concluded with a tour and a lunch with a staff member at their cafeteria. Very nice company.

Interview Questions

• How would you measure the height of an airplane without any instrumentation?   Answer Question

Got better offer from another employer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lutron.

Interview

Applied online and soon received an email from HR to fill put a form and was asked for 3 references in the form. Followed by a telephonic interview. I was asked a little about my background followed by two questions. First, OOP design of a vending machine. Second, a trick question: A man is standing in a boat in the center of a lake. Assume ideal conditions and no external forces are playing any role. There is a marker in the lake that marks the water level as X. The man throws the rock in the lake, now the marker reads the level as Y. What is X in relation to Y?
    Received a call from the HR in 2 hours to schedule an onsite interview.
    There were 3 rounds. First was a presentation round, where I could present any of my school projects.
    Second was a UI/UX designing round.(this was kinda unexpected)
    Third was the imagination round where I was given the situation that I work for the dept of road safety and transport and my boss thinks that increasing the speed limit will help people save time. He's asking whether we should do it?

Soon after 3 days received a reject. I kind of messed up the imagination round. But must commend them on the very responsive and cooperative nature of people at Lutron. There are some really smart people in the company and they are passionate about their work.

Interview Questions

• The imagination round is something you cannot prepare for.   Answer Question

Interview

It's a 30-minute phone interview asking you to talk about everything you listed in your resume and every detail of them, very detail. The interviewer seems more interest in working experience rather than academic projects. After going through the resume, the interviewer asked me a very general question like how to open a hotel.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lutron.

Interview

Recruiter sent me an link and a specific code to login in the website. I am asked to answer several behavior questions and two technical questions. Questions are very general. It still includes some IQ tests. For example, one question is how to escape a 5-meters-deep well in the tropical rainforest.

Interview Questions

• Try to explain the difference between abstract class and interface.   Answer Question

Design and Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coopersburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Lutron (Coopersburg, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

The process began with a phone interview that asked the basic questions one would expect about paste experience, why one applied for the job, where one saw oneself in 5 years, etc. In general the interview process was very straightforward and painless, with the interviewer seeming genuinely interested in one's responses.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult class you took in college and why?   Answer Question