Lutron

102 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Engineering Co-Op

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Lutron.

Interview Details – Met at Career Fair
Had a Phone Interview: Technical - Mostly based on products of Lutron and lighting solutions and resume based.
Had a Phone Interview: HR - Proper HR interview with almost clear that position was confirmed by the end of the interview process.
Offered.

Interview Question – Difference between LED and Fluorescent bulbs?   Answer Question

Project Electrical Engineer Interview

Project Electrical Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Lutron.

Interview Details – First Round was an hour long phone interview. If you get through, they invite you to a day long on-site second round.

Interview Question – There are three sockets inside a room and three switches outside. You want to find out which switch controls which socket but you can only enter the room once. How would you do it?   View Answer

Project Mechanical Engineer Interview

Project Mechanical Engineer

Interviewed at Lutron

Interview Details – Applied through online career services site. Received a phone interview within 2 weeks. Rejected based on GPA (<3.0). From what I've heard it's a great company to start your career at, can't say much beyond that. I thought my phone interview went really well but the first thing I was asked was why my GPA was so low and I was told that HR puts a pretty hard limit on this number.

Interview Question – Explain Young's Modulus as it pertained to a project on my resume   Answer Question

Innovative Leadership Project Electrical Engineer 2014 (Analog) Interview

Coopersburg, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Lutron in November 2013.

Interview Details – Innovative Leadership Project Electrical Engineer 2014 (Analog)

Phone interview round- asking basic questions on the resume, pretty much everything, and technical: DC-DC converter component; if you want to reach certain Vout, what should you do? I first said a voltage divider, but their expected answer is a DC regulator. They also asked me about components in the DC regulator.

Invited to their headquarter Coopersburg, PA two weeks later. I was too excited to be on a first time site- interview that I did not sleep well the night before, which was bad.

They took me a tour of their lights, and ideal high-end home design.

Behavioral Interview - No hard questions. What is the most innovative thing that you have done? Does not have to be technical.

Technical
Q1: Two light bulbs connecting in series, which one would glow brighter?

ANS: Using P=VI= (I^2)R to tackle this.

Given the graph of Vsource = 10 V stepping up at t = 0 to further, draw the graph of Vout. Vout is between the point of collector and capacitor.

ANS: Vout should be constantly -10V until t=0, and will hit V=0 V linearly from V=-10 V after t=0.

This question is exactly the same as one person had almost a year ago. I really hope that I looked into more of his question before I went to the interview. I took quite an amount of help from the interviewer to solve Q2.

Overall, having a good night sleep is very important before any interview. I have not heard back from them, but I think that it is great to share my experience with others.

Interview Question – Q2: A pnp transistor with its base connected to a voltage source, the V source is connected to a +10V source. The emitter of the transistor is connected to a resistance, and then to the same +10V source. The collector side is connected to a capacitor, which is not charged at t=0-.

View Answer

Sales Development Program Interview

Bethlehem, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Lutron in October 2013.

Interview Details – very unorganized. no one seemed to know what they were doing

Interview Question – no specific questions, a lot of role playing   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Internship Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Lutron in November 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through university career services. Interview lasted for an hour, first 30 minutes behavioral questions, and the last 30 minutes, technical questions. Follow up emails resulted in no response from interviewer. Did not hear back till about 5 months later.

Interview Questions

• What would be the current response of a RC circuit? How could you speed up or slow down the response?   Answer Question
  • If you have a room with 3 bulbs connected to 3 switches outside the room, how would you figure out which switch corresponds to which bulb if you are only allowed to go into the room once. You are not allowed to use any external equipment?   View Answer

Embedded Software Design Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Lutron in October 2013.

Interview Details – Not worth your time if you already have experience and a good job. They expect too many things from candidate even before the onsite interview. Lots of paper work, IQ and personality test etc.

Most of the interview was ok. Two young engineers were fun to interview with and the problem they gave me was fun and challenging to solve. After that a senior engineer interviewed me. The guy was indian, with no sense of humor and flawed logic. When he was interviewing me, I had already decided to not work there if I got an offer. Management should choose more carefully who interviews the candidates. First impression matters.

Interview Question – Estimate how much it would cost the US annually to keep all the car headlights on   Answer Question

Embedded Programmer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Lutron in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted via HR and set up a phone interview with a current embedded software engineer. I was asked to speak about the information on my resume; pretty routine. I was then asked a basic technical question, which is listed below.

Interview Question – If we had an embedded device, how would you output a digital signal at the same frequency as an input signal?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Innovation Leadership Program 2014 - Project Electrical Engineer (Analog) Interview

Coopersburg, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Lutron in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for an internship last year, but didn't hear anything back. A few months ago, I got an e-mail from Lutron asking me to submit my resume for full-time as I am graduating in December. I sent them my resume and promptly received an e-mail asking for a phone interview.

The phone interview wasn't bad. The interviewer went to the same college as I did, so it was easy to build a strong rapport with him. Technical questions were pretty basic: RC circuit, dc-dc converters. I received an e-mail two days later requesting an on-site interview.

About a week later, Lutron flew me out to the Bethlethem, PA area. I have to admit that I hated it there, but that's irrelevant.

The interview started early in the morning. It began with a 30 minute "HR" - type interview in which I could tell the lady didn't care at all about what I was saying. Next was a panel interview where I basically got drilled with technical questions for about an hour and half. The questions ranged from basic light bulb circuits to RF applications to circuits with floating nodes and BJTs. The guys that interviewed me were constantly asking me to second guess myself (whether I was right or wrong). It made me nervous, which was annoying, but that's what they want to do---to see how you react.

After the first panel interview was another. This one was more of a brainstorming one. The interviewer and I designed a kite-flying competition, and he asked me to come up with ways to measure the height of the kites for about an hour. It was more laid back than the first interview, but still uncomfortable.

After this, I went to lunch with a young engineer at the company. If you happen to interview with Lutron, remember that even though it is not explicitly stated, you are still be "interviewed" during this time frame. She and I had a nice conversation and shared some laughs, although I remained professional the whole time.

The original schedule said I was to resume interviewing after lunch, but I didn't. The HR woman said I was done, and she called the driver to take me to the airport. I'm not sure if it's that they knew they didn't want to hire me or if they just didn't have anyone else to do the afternoon panels. The other interviewee that had rode with me to the airport in the morning left at the same time I did, so it could have been for either reason.

They said they would get back to me within a week or two. They contacted me exactly one week later to tell me that I did not get the position.

Interview Question – Derive Friis transmission equation.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer

I interviewed at Lutron in February 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed by recruiter, then visited Allentown PA for interview.

Interview Question – Given a particular task, provide details on how you would solve it.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Lutron