Lutron

Updated Mar 31, 2014

Getting the Interview

102 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Innovation Leadership Program 2013 - Project Electrical Engineer (Embedded) Interview

Interviewed at Lutron

Interview Details – After the phone interview, I was called for an onsite interview.

Interview Question – Technical round involved a question on bulbs connected in series and embedded basics.   Answer Question

Sales Development Program Interview

Coopersburg, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Lutron in December 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online through campus recruiting. Received a phone call from a recruiter a few weeks later for a standard phone screening. Then had a skype interview with a sales manager followed by a 60-90 minute personality test. After submitting the test, I was invited to their headquarters for dinner with their team followed by a full day of interviews (make sure to be prepared for a long day). The interviews included a sales presentation on one of their new products, a few role-playing sessions, and quite a few behavioral interviews. Was emailed about 3 weeks later telling me that I was not selected for the position. You meet with at least 15 people during the interview, many of whom are higher level execs. They are very thorough with their interview process, and, as evidenced by the personality test I had to take, are very careful about the kind of people they choose for their program. They are definitely looking for the "hunter" type. That being said, everyone I met was extremely kind.

Interview Question – Pretty standard behavioral questions outside of the role-playing/presentation portion of the process.   Answer Question

Project Leader Interview

Project Leader
Coopersburg, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Lutron in December 2012.

Interview Details – The first round was more like pre-screening over the phone..Every detail in my resume about projects starting from few conceptual(and technical)questions to resource management was discussed. Then was invited for onsite interview. I was asked to prepare a presentation about one of my projects.

First round: Presentation round:
I had an electrical project ready to be presented. The person who came was from a mechanical background. Eventhough I gave the gist of what was meant in each slide by simple terms I dont think the person was satisfied.
Lesson learnt: Be ready to tune your talk to your audience...!

Second round: Brainstorming session
This round was not technical but I was tested on my "idea-generation" abilities.
Q: If you were to revolutionize the vending machine what would you do?
The voice inside my head: Revolutionize? OMG...!! :-)

Third round: Technical
Q1a: Two bulbs with ratings: 100V/100W and 100V/1000W are connected in series to a 100V rms source. Which do you think will glow brighter.?

I answered it after a bit of calculation and help from the interviewers.
A1a: Calculate the resistances of the bulbs from the spec and use KVL to find the loop current. The bulb with greater power dissipation(which will be the 100W one) glows brighter.

Q2a: What will you do to make the 1000W bulb glow brighter? and why?
A2a: Connect the bulbs in parallel so that the entire 100V is applied across the 1000W bulb.

Q2: (Sorry, glassdoor does not allow to draw the schematic here!) A pnp transistor in CE mode(+/-10V supply) with an emitter resistance and having a capacitive load is turned on at t=0. Draw the waveform at the transistor's collector.

A: The transistor acts like a current source pumping a constant current to the capacitor. The voltage at the collector therefore increases linearly and settles down after the transistor reaches saturation.

This was my final answer after quite sometime of getting some help from the interviewers.

Though I was not given an offer I felt I did justice to my interview.

Interview Question – -   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Coopersburg, PA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Lutron in October 2012.

Interview Details – three interview in the morning and two interview in the afternoon, not very difficult

Interview Question – design a dimmer using microcontroller   Answer Question

Analog/RF Design Engineer Interview

Coopersburg, PA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Lutron in December 2012.

Interview Details – I got to know about this job through a staffing agency. Eventually, a phone screen interview was setup for next week. The phone interview went well and I was expecting to be called on site for an in-person interview. Instead I was rejected a week later. This was highly unusual.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were based on my resume   Answer Question

Project Electrical Engineer Interview

Project Electrical Engineer
Coopersburg, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Lutron in December 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by an invitation for an on-site interview. On-site interviews lasted all day, speaking with 10 people. Was asked to prepare a presentation on current work. Interviews had several problem solving exercises, including an estimation problem. Asked to role-play how I would go about solving a customer's problem. Overall, I felt that while the interview was challenging, the questions they asked were reasonable/fair.

Interview Question – If you were the leader of a group, how would that group benefit?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Nnovation Leadership Program 2013 - Project Electrical Engineer (Analog) Interview

Coopersburg, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Lutron in November 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted application on line. Waited for a month for reply. First a phone screening. If you get pass it, there will be a on site interview at Lutron headquarters in Coopersburg, PA.

Interview Question – Design a DC to DC voltage converter and compare the advantages and disadvantages between different solutions.   Answer Question

Project Software Engineer Interview

Project Software Engineer
Coopersburg, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lutron in November 2012.

Interview Details – After a brief phone interview was called to give an on-site. A day long interview started with a tour of the Company and its mock up room. Spent the rest of the day in a room where I was interviewed by 7 - 8 people including technical interview, role-playing , imagination round and lots of Behaviour based interviews. It was a fun experience.

Interview Question – General technical questions   Answer Question

Project Electrical Engineer Interview

Project Electrical Engineer
Coopersburg, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Lutron.

Interview Details – Resume Review. Must have at least 3.3 GPA to get noticed else must have exceptionally good experience or research background

Interview Question – was on debouncing and interfacing switches (FET) to dim a LED load   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation phase. I acceted the offer right away.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Lutron in October 2012.

Interview Details – It was organized as a skype call interview . It lasted for 45 minutes. the overall experience was good. It was my first interview so I enjoyed it and took it as a stepping stone for future interviews

Interview Question – mostly brain teasers .
any debugging experience? Experience with Linux? and questions on C