Lutron

116 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

PR Manager Interview

PR Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Lutron.

Interview Details – I was called in by a recruiter for a PR manager job. After speaking to the recruiter and then the department lead, it took several weeks for them to call me back for an in person interview. They ask that you take a psychology test before meeting in person and in person you meet with multiple HR people and several members of the department. I think i met with 6 people in total.

Interview Question – none really, but the weird part is that they ask for your college transcripts.   Answer Question

Project Mechanical Engineer Interview

Project Mechanical Engineer
Coopersburg, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Lutron in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted a month or two later for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about an hour with general resume questions and a couple of brain teasers that were designed to understand your thought process better. About a week later I was contacted to set up on on-site interview in Coopersburg. I live about an hour away, but was offered hotel accommodations for the night before. Arrived at the Lutron campus early in the morning and was given the Lutron experience tour with about 5 other interviewees each interviewing for different positions. The rest of the day consisted of about a half dozen rounds of interviews. There was a general HR interview, a couple of technical rounds, and the role play. There was also lunch in between and the whole process lasted almost 9 hours. Everyone was really nice and the interview was ran smoothly. I was made an offer about 2 weeks after the on-site interview. Definitely the most intense interview process I went through, but it shows the importance places on finding the right people.

Interview Question – Role play process   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Coopersburg, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Lutron in March 2013.

Interview Details – Was flown in for onsite interview.
First was a tour of their "Experience Center", essentially a model of a home inside the company to demonstrate their different products. After that I was sat in a small room.
One or two people would come in at a time and interview me. Except for the lunch break the hole interview took place in this small room which seems to be specifically for interviewing.
First came in one person whom I was supposed to give a presentation of a past project. This could either be scholastic or corporate work.
After him there were two people. They brought in one of their current projects, which was to reduce the power consumption of an existing product. Needed to give design suggestions.
After them came in another person. I was supposed to estimate how much daytime running lights would cost a consumer, mostly based on how much gas it would cost running them.
So I had to do some math in order to figure that out.
Then was lunch with one of their project managers.
After that was a role play. It involved an unhappy customer and resolving an issue he was having with a Lutron product. It required calling different people to resolve the problem.
My impression was that I did not impress them so they cut the interview short.
I had flown in the evening before and reached the hotel at 11pm. I also did not sleep well that night. When interviewing with Lutron definitely make sure you are well rested and fly in early if you are coming in from out of town, so you can settle in and get a good nights sleep.
In order for them to hire someone you need to ace every part of the interview, so you need to be on your tiptoes and alert all the time.
Also: Lutron seems to interview a lot of people. Just because they are flying you in don't pretend you are even close to getting an offer. A driver from the limo service told me they fly in people for interviewing every single day. On the day I was interviewe there were about 6 other applicants. They were applying for other positions than me, but still. Overall Lutron seems to interview many people before they really hire someone. So again don't place your hopes too high, just because you have been invited for an interview.

Interview Question – No really difficult questions. The focus seems to be to just throw challenges at the applicant in order to test him/her. The interview seems to be more focused on testing the persons mental abilities than interviewing the person and asking questions.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Coopersburg, PA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Lutron in August 2009.

Interview Details – Every engineering hire goes through a very structured interview process. If you travel to Coopersburg for the interview, you'll be met at the airport, taken to your hotel, picked up in the morning, taken for a tour of Lutron's local facilities--it seems kinda low-key.

It is not. Every single person you meet is part of the interview team. One legendary applicant was "dinged" for how he behaved at *breakfast.* (Here's a tip--don't offer to finish your host's bacon.)

When you get to campus, you'll have an overview conversation with someone from HR, followed by technical interviews with different pairs of interviewers. The interviewers are asking standard questions from scripts--if you do not understand the question, ask for clarification. An applicant who (a) is not intimidated, (b) asks questions, and (c) seeks to clarify what is being asked will do well--even if you don't have the faintest idea what the answer might be.

The biggie in the on-campus interview is the role play. You will be asked to play the role of a tech support engineer (regardless of your experience, every engineering hire spends time on the tech support hotline--it's a Lutron thing). You will be presented with a problem--a really, really strange problem. This will almost certainly be based on a real tech support question that Lutron has received.

The purpose of the role play is to see how you perform under pressure, and whether you can ask enough questions to find a solution to the problem. Keep asking questions! The problem can be really tough--but if you don't pass the role play, your chances for an offer are exceeding slim.

If you have done well, you'll end the day with an interview with a senior executive, who'll tell you about working for Lutron. It's a great company, filled with insanely smart people.

Interview Question – The role play--based on a real-life example from Lutron tech support, you are presented with a challenging problem to solve. You have to ask questions to find the answer to the problem--get to the solution, or you're toast.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Offer/counter-offer/offer/counter-offer for several weeks; including meetings on-campus.

Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Interview

Entry Level Mechanical Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Lutron in September 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through my school's career fair, and got a phone interview the following week.

I was told that person X would call and interview me. but was contacted by a different person .
The interview was filled with mostly behavioral questions, and going through my resume etc. At the end there was a brain-teaser that all Lutron interviews ask. They asked me to estimate the weight of the car parked at the curb, with nothing but a 3X5 notecard. He guided me through the questions and i was able to get it right in the end.

I was told I would hear back in two weeks, but never heard back even when two of my other friends heard back (no offer). I emailed the person that interviewed me and he never replied either.

Interview Question – The most difficult question would be the brain teaser, my advise would be to no panic and they understand that you need some time to think it through.   Answer Question

Supply Chain, Global Manufacturing Internship Interview

Supply Chain, Global Manufacturing Internship

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Lutron in March 2013.

Interview Details – Telephonic Interview for 1 hour by HR and Operation Manager

Interview Question – Question: Had given the real time scenario of 2 machine out of which 1 was outdated and 1 they gonna design it. So they asked me how will you manage the inventory of outdated machine which is in stock.   Answer Question

Bethlehem, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Lutron in November 2012.

Interview Details – If you're interviewing for multiple companies, just be wary of the time commitment asked of by Lutron. First of all, it's much like a cattle prod- they're interviewing 200+ people for 9-10 positions. Which is interesting given the job starts at $35k, far below what most of us are expecting to earn. It also requires 2 full days of your time so be wary of investing this if you have other options on the table.

Interview Question – Lutron didn't ask any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The job starts at $35k, far below what most of us are expecting to earn. It's also out in the middle of PA.

Very Difficult Interview

Tax Manager Interview

Tax Manager
Coopersburg, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Lutron in March 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was the strangest I have ever encountered. I had to take an online personality test - 2 hours, complete an online profile, than asked to come in not for just a regular interview, but for the full day. The people in HR were very rude and disorganized. People I was supposed to interview with called off. I ended up not needing the full day. They were also secrative about the company. All the normal questions you would normally ask a prospective employer they wouldn't answer... ya know, how many employees work here, how big is the department, whats fueling your growth, how much revenue. No answers! How is a person to know what they are getting into... especially a finance type. By the time I got home, I was depressed that I wasted all that time and energy. I didn't sense a great culture there, the people looked miserable. I'll pass.

Interview Question – I was told I needed to upload college trasnscrips! Before I even met them.   Answer Question

Bethlehem, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Lutron in January 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was highly disorganized- the individuals who were supposed to interview me did not show up, therefore I interviewed with the same people who I had been phone interviewing with. They wasted 2 full business days, mid week, when I had to skip school. They were highly disorganized, rude, and unprofessional. They refused to answer questions about compensation and benefits. After all this time, the denial of my application was done with a canned email response and none of my contacts at the company would answer any emails that I sent to ask for any feedback.

Interview Question – The most difficult question (which I asked myself) was that of why I had come to interview in the first place. This was a terrible company.   Answer Question

Bethlehem, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Lutron in December 2012.