Lutron Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

3.5

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Allentown, PA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Lutron.

Two interviews, Phone and then Onsite. The phone was pretty basic with HR and technical mixed. The onsite had HR and a full blown technical interview. Lot of mechanical engineering questions asked.

Interview Questions
  • They handed a product that they make and asked me to best explain how they went about manufacturing it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Lutron

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Coopersburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coopersburg, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Lutron in March 2013.

Was flown in for onsite interview.
    First was a tour of their "Experience Center", essentially a model of a home inside the company to demonstrate their different products. After that I was sat in a small room.
    One or two people would come in at a time and interview me. Except for the lunch break the hole interview took place in this small room which seems to be specifically for interviewing.
    First came in one person whom I was supposed to give a presentation of a past project. This could either be scholastic or corporate work.
    After him there were two people. They brought in one of their current projects, which was to reduce the power consumption of an existing product. Needed to give design suggestions.
    After them came in another person. I was supposed to estimate how much daytime running lights would cost a consumer, mostly based on how much gas it would cost running them.
    So I had to do some math in order to figure that out.
    Then was lunch with one of their project managers.
    After that was a role play. It involved an unhappy customer and resolving an issue he was having with a Lutron product. It required calling different people to resolve the problem.
    My impression was that I did not impress them so they cut the interview short.
    I had flown in the evening before and reached the hotel at 11pm. I also did not sleep well that night. When interviewing with Lutron definitely make sure you are well rested and fly in early if you are coming in from out of town, so you can settle in and get a good nights sleep.
    In order for them to hire someone you need to ace every part of the interview, so you need to be on your tiptoes and alert all the time.
    Also: Lutron seems to interview a lot of people. Just because they are flying you in don't pretend you are even close to getting an offer. A driver from the limo service told me they fly in people for interviewing every single day. On the day I was interviewe there were about 6 other applicants. They were applying for other positions than me, but still. Overall Lutron seems to interview many people before they really hire someone. So again don't place your hopes too high, just because you have been invited for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • No really difficult questions. The focus seems to be to just throw challenges at the applicant in order to test him/her. The interview seems to be more focused on testing the persons mental abilities than interviewing the person and asking questions.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

interviewed at Lutron in February 2013.

Interviewed by recruiter, then visited Allentown PA for interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given a particular task, provide details on how you would solve it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bethlehem, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethlehem, PA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Lutron in October 2011.

Long and drawn out interview process with some pretty challenging technical background (for an ME) in electrical engineering as well as some "fun" outside the box critical thinking questions. I was asked how I might innovate the vending machine in order to generate new revenue for vending machine sales companies.

Interview Questions
    • Do you enjoy working by yourself or working with others?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Coopersburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coopersburg, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Lutron in November 2009.

General interview questions about experience resume etc. Then got into the manufacturing and design process of a simple office supply product. Then got into forces/moments on the same product. Be prepared to shift mindset quickly.

Interview Questions
    • How would you manufacture each part of a standard stapler.   Answer Question
    • What are the forces and moments on the stapler when used.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lutron in October 2010.

I applied through university recruitment and had a 1:1 interview. The interviewer was one of the most boring person that I have ever met in my life. From the time I got into the room, he was looking outside the door behind me, which is way distracting. I turned back to see what is going on and he said "oh I am sorry, please go ahead". Like a joke.
    He asked me 3-4 brain teasers which I definitely nailed. He also asked me how to manufacture every part in a stapler. I told him some stuff but he wanted the name of the manufacturing process. Come on! I am an industrial engineer applying a mechanical engineering position. If you are calling me for 1:1 interview that means this position is somewhat relevant with industrial engineering. How am I supposed to know the name of those processes?
    Anyways, overall I thought I did a very good job. But got rejected 2 weeks later.
    Lutron is interviewing thousands of people for 10 positions or so. Do not waste your time if you have other interviews or something more important.

Interview Questions
    • Classic Lamb question.   View Answer
    • How do you manufacture every part of a stapler.   View Answer
    • How can you reduce the cost of manufacturing a stapler?   Answer Question
    • Kind of complicated brain teaser compared with the other ones. Three people in the line they can just see the color of the hats of the people in front of them. There is also a fourth person but no one can see him. He can not see anyone either. So total 4 people, 2 red 2 white hats. They just have one chance to call their "own" hat's color. Who should speak first?   View Answer

Worked for Lutron? Contribute to the Community!