Lutron

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Leader Interview

Project Leader
Coopersburg, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Lutron in December 2012.

Interview Details – The first round was more like pre-screening over the phone..Every detail in my resume about projects starting from few conceptual(and technical)questions to resource management was discussed. Then was invited for onsite interview. I was asked to prepare a presentation about one of my projects.

First round: Presentation round:
I had an electrical project ready to be presented. The person who came was from a mechanical background. Eventhough I gave the gist of what was meant in each slide by simple terms I dont think the person was satisfied.
Lesson learnt: Be ready to tune your talk to your audience...!

Second round: Brainstorming session
This round was not technical but I was tested on my "idea-generation" abilities.
Q: If you were to revolutionize the vending machine what would you do?
The voice inside my head: Revolutionize? OMG...!! :-)

Third round: Technical
Q1a: Two bulbs with ratings: 100V/100W and 100V/1000W are connected in series to a 100V rms source. Which do you think will glow brighter.?

I answered it after a bit of calculation and help from the interviewers.
A1a: Calculate the resistances of the bulbs from the spec and use KVL to find the loop current. The bulb with greater power dissipation(which will be the 100W one) glows brighter.

Q2a: What will you do to make the 1000W bulb glow brighter? and why?
A2a: Connect the bulbs in parallel so that the entire 100V is applied across the 1000W bulb.

Q2: (Sorry, glassdoor does not allow to draw the schematic here!) A pnp transistor in CE mode(+/-10V supply) with an emitter resistance and having a capacitive load is turned on at t=0. Draw the waveform at the transistor's collector.

A: The transistor acts like a current source pumping a constant current to the capacitor. The voltage at the collector therefore increases linearly and settles down after the transistor reaches saturation.

This was my final answer after quite sometime of getting some help from the interviewers.

Though I was not given an offer I felt I did justice to my interview.

Interview Question – -   Answer Question

Worked for Lutron? Contribute to the Community!