Lutron

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Lutron in June 2013.

Interview Details – First I had a telephonic interview where I was asked basic questions about building a temperature controlled system. Then I was called in for a onsite interview.
I had a technical presentation to presentation. Then I had two technical rounds where I was asked about my resume.

Interview Question – The out of the box thinking was very weird and unexpected.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Lutron in October 2012.

Interview Details – It was organized as a skype call interview . It lasted for 45 minutes. the overall experience was good. It was my first interview so I enjoyed it and took it as a stepping stone for future interviews

Interview Question – mostly brain teasers .
any debugging experience? Experience with Linux? and questions on C
  Answer Question

Coopersburg, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Lutron in October 2011.

Interview Details – Met a representative at the College Career fair.
Got a follow-up phone call for an on-campus 1:1 interview.
The interview consisted of general questions about resume and 2 questions.
1 technical and 1 non-technical.

Interview Question – An estimate of the number of people who showed up the relevant college career fair   Answer Question

Coopersburg, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lutron in September 2009.

Interview Details – I originally turned down an on campus interview with them because my GPA wasn't high enough according to the job description. The recruiter told me to interview anyway so I did. I must have done well because I was invited to the company for an on site interview.

I was flown out the day before the interview and had dinner with an employee and several other interviewees. We talked about what it was like to work there, etc.

The next day, I was taken to the headquarters and began the interview process. I sat in one room all day (with a pennant for my school outside, which was pretty cool) and different people came to me throughout the day to interview me. An employee also took me on a tour and we ate lunch in the cafeteria.

The interviews were pretty typical CS interviews, but there was also a role playing interview where I had to pretend I was actually working there and had to make fake phone calls to get help from people. It was kind of awkward at first, but kind of fun too.

Mid way through the interview, one of the HR women came in and told me that "they thought I was really smart, but that I was being too unprofessional." She suggested doing things like standing up when someone comes in the room and shaking their hand. I had done this with every single person that had walked in the room. I wore a dress shirt and dress pants instead of a suit, so that must have been a pretty huge strike against me since most of the people there were wearing ties to work.

Someone also came in at one point to go over my transcripts. They asked me why my grades were so low and acted like I mislead them (I had told them my GPA before I ever interviewed with them).

I was finally given a personality test to fill out and return when I was at home.

When I left there was only one interviewer left and the others had gone home earlier. On my way to the airport the driver told me that the people that stay late are usually the ones that he sees coming back with jobs.

I wasn't surprised when I didn't get an offer because of the way they treated me at the interview. I thought it was pretty rude and felt stupid when they told me I was unprofessional and my grades weren't good enough.

Interview Question – If you have 3 incandescent lightbulbs in one room and three lightbulbs in another, how can you tell which switch goes to which bulb if you're only allowed to walk through the doorway once.   View Answer

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Lutron in March 2011.

Interview Details – One round of interview in the College and 4 rounds of interview onsite. Had to present a project. Asked some technical questions. Also had a round of role playing. It was interesting. THe technical interview is the most important of all.

Interview Question – How Bulbs work? Power calculation and basic electric circuits.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lutron in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was asked about my projects in detail. Design a vending machine class with all required methods and variables

Interview Question – Why did I use the particular method in my project?   Answer Question

Software Engineer

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lutron in April 2011.

Interview Details – Was approached by a recruiter about this position. Was not an exact match for my skill set but decided to pursue it anyway since I liked the location of the job. Had a phone interview with some discussion as to what projects I worked on. Nothing too technical.

The flew me the the headquarters for an on site interview. This was basically a day long event where various people would ask differing amounts of technical questions. Questions ranged from basic circuit analysis to some software design questions. Nothing too hard. There was a role playing section which I considered very cheesy and got kind of annoyed by.

Interview Question – Describe how to debounce a button in software.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lutron in December 2011.

Interview Details – First contacted by HR manager by phone. Then invited to company headquarters. very nice facility, got a tour of the company, then sat in a room for the interview process. Was interviewed by 6 different employees. A lot of technical questions, lateral thinking questions, 3 light bulbs, 4 people with different colored hats. Overall, not a bad interview process. You have to be very open minded, think logically and maintain your balance.

Interview Question – Three light bulbs in a room, three switches outside you can only go into the room once. How do you determine which switch controls what bulb. You can configure the switched however you want.   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lutron in March 2011.

Interview Details – I am still in the middle of the process. I just had the first round of interviews, which was a technical phone interview. I applied through their website for an entry-level position and they contacted me after about 2 months.

The interviewer is a senior software engineer at Lutron. He told me a little bit about what software engineers do at Lutron and what he's been working on. After letting me ask a few questions about the company, the real interview began. He first asked me about my background and internship experiences, and asked if I had any school projects that I think would apply to what I would do at Lutron. There was one programming problem, and he was very helpful throughout.

I am currently waiting for their decision, which should be in 2-3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• There's a public Rectangle class, which has private fields of height (int), width (int), position (Point), color (Color). It has a constructor that takes as arguments the info necessary for the fields above. However, there's no way to see or edit the fields. How would you implement it?   View Answer
  • (continuing Q1). They now wants to able to have an undo method (Rectangle.undo()). It should be able to revert the rectangle to its previous state without the user mentioning what method was last used. Implement this!   View Answer
  • (continuing Q2)

Then we'd also want to have a redo() method. Implement this!
      View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lutron in February 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewer was cool. Interview took around 1 hr. He asked me to tell about my experience till then and asked my strengths and weaknesses. I gave sql and .net as my strengths and java as my weakness.

Interview Questions

• He showed me many ui designs of their company logo for an iphone app. and asked me choose 3 best and 1 bad design .   View Answer
  • The next one was a puzzle. There are 2 White hats and 2 Black hats. 4 persons in a room and at least one of them has to say the color of the hat on their head otherwise , if at least one person tells it wrong all 4 of them will be killed.

The 4 persons are standing in the following direction

4(W)----> 3(B) -----> 2(W) -----> | <-----1 (B)

1 is already in the jail and he can't see any one . Any one can see only the persons ahead of them like 4 can see 3 and 2. Tell me who saves them and y.

Interviewer was expecting to hear your explanation and he also liked to discuss how iam solving the puzzle.
      View Answers (2)
  • He asked me a question in sql . He showed me a order and told me to design a database for them.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Lutron

Worked for Lutron? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lutron Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Lutron employees and interview candidates.