Lux Research Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2015
Updated Mar 13, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

Interview

Good Interview Experience, Basic questions. Mostly behavioral, interviewer went through resume and asked relevant questions - they want to gauge whether or not you fit the Lux culture.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Lux Research in August 2014.

Interview

I had three phone interviews. The first one was a pre-screening call by hr and the other two were with lead analysts. They asked about my interests and some technical projects.

Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lux Research (New York, NY).

Interview

I just had a one time interview with this company. I found the company from on campus- recruiting interface.

First, interviewer explained me what the company does and we went over my resume. Nothing special. It was just focused on the things that I did. So basically it was more like introducing myself to the company. After we went over my resume, we just had some conversation and he asked me if I have any question to the company.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lux Research (Boston, MA).

Interview

I initially reached out to Lux through their posting on LinkedIn. HR got back to me and scheduled me to meet four individuals coming from different roles in the company, including another research associate. I met with each person for about 15 minutes each, and they asked many standard interview questions, ie. why Lux, why that field, and I could tell the upper level management was trying to get a feel for how much I knew about my background.

Interview Questions

• Write a few paragraphs on how a toilet works (during interview)   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lux Research (Boston, MA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online, had a phone screener, and several weeks later after no contact was asked to come in for an interview. Interview took about four hours and I met with a bunch of different people in many roles. Most people just asked me about my background, why I was interested in Lux, and why I wanted to do research rather than engineering. Some people asked me to tell them about new technologies I found exciting, and in that case it was important to tell them an emerging technology rather than an emerging design technique. One meeting at the interview was remote via phone, and the man asked me to tell him about an interesting technology I'd encountered; while I was telling him, he interrupted with "That sounds pretty boring...is there any way you can make me interested in this?" so I would suggest sounding enthusiastic and having a really interesting technology up your sleeve. It was clear the company wasn't a good fit and I got a rejection email a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an exciting emerging technology you know about.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Lux Research in June 2013.

Interview

Took multiple (8 interviews all told) for this job. the job was in new york, but had to travel to Boston (without reimbursement) for the final interview. Interview was an all day affair with a presentation. Multiple times I was told the presentation didn't have to be on the vertical I was interviewing for and should be on something that I was comfortable in (like my PhD research), but after the interview was told that I should have presented on the vertical.

Interview Questions

• What companies would be good to look at in the grid research space?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

interviewed at Lux Research (Boston, MA) in April 2012.

Interview

The HR person is very helpful and efficient. The phone interview was led by a research associate who was very straight forward and nice. He treated me as a friend. The whole interview was like a chatting/communication. It was moving forward very naturally. The focus would be why I was interested in the program and what kind the person I was. I did not feel much pressure during the interview since the interviewer was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• No difficult question. One of those I remembered is "why are you interested in the program".   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lux Research (Boston, MA) in November 2011.

Interview

I applied online and got a call within a week to set up a phone interview. Had a phone interview with someone from HR, primarily going over the resume.

Had a second phone interview the next day with the Director of Consulting. Went over resume again, but went further into the technical aspects of my experience. For instance, I described in detail and answered targeted questions about my Senior design project that was listed prominently on my resume.

Then, we setup an in-person interview for the next week. At this interview I met with the 5 people, each for about 30-45 min. This included the two people I had already spoken with. Everything was mostly geared as a "fit" interview, i.e. seeing if you have the social and technical chops for a consulting position at the company. Met with everyone from and Analyst to someone on the VP level.

I got a completely different feel for the company compared to the reviews on Glassdoor. The people were great, the offices looked cozy but modern. I asked every person point blank about the bad reviews on Glassdoor and they all had great responses. Many of them, having joined recently, were aware of the reviews and ensured me that the culture of the company, if it had been bad before, was much better than anything described online.

In the end, I was very happy with the whole process and excited when they extended me the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a new technology you learned about recently that could be a "game changer".   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Lux Research (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

Unstructured meetings with everybody who happens to be sitting in the office that day. Not much structure. Then they want you to prepare a presentation and provide list of contacts you have. They don't do a very good job assessing the skills experience of applicants.

Interview Questions

• They expect you to know their market because they have no resources or patience to teach/train sales people. Churn and burn. Study the tech financing/R&D funding process of a major firm and build a simple PPT.   Answer Question

compensation was very poor and sales management was inexperienced.

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Lux Research (Boston, MA) in August 2008.

Interview

the presentation is a lot of time to prepare - they want to weed out people who aren't serious.
    They wanted you to come up with something "surprising" to fit in with the tone of the firm - since clients only value learning things they didn't already know

Negotiation

negotiation was really bad:
    they wanted you to agree to a salary figure before you found out there were no retirement benefits - no 401K match - and before you found out they wouldn't tell you what the value of the stock options is, either as a valuation or as a % of the company, nor would they disclose enough of the business plan so you could at least get a story on when there would be an exit. They just stonewall. So you might as well assume their value is zero. Sets the tone for what it's like when you're on board - don't expect transparency