Lux Research Interview Questions

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lux Research.

I just had a one time interview with this company. I found the company from on campus- recruiting interface.

First, interviewer explained me what the company does and we went over my resume. Nothing special. It was just focused on the things that I did. So basically it was more like introducing myself to the company. After we went over my resume, we just had some conversation and he asked me if I have any question to the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lux Research.

I initially reached out to Lux through their posting on LinkedIn. HR got back to me and scheduled me to meet four individuals coming from different roles in the company, including another research associate. I met with each person for about 15 minutes each, and they asked many standard interview questions, ie. why Lux, why that field, and I could tell the upper level management was trying to get a feel for how much I knew about my background.

Interview Questions
    • Write a few paragraphs on how a toilet works (during interview)   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lux Research in October 2013.

Applied online, had a phone screener, and several weeks later after no contact was asked to come in for an interview. Interview took about four hours and I met with a bunch of different people in many roles. Most people just asked me about my background, why I was interested in Lux, and why I wanted to do research rather than engineering. Some people asked me to tell them about new technologies I found exciting, and in that case it was important to tell them an emerging technology rather than an emerging design technique. One meeting at the interview was remote via phone, and the man asked me to tell him about an interesting technology I'd encountered; while I was telling him, he interrupted with "That sounds pretty boring...is there any way you can make me interested in this?" so I would suggest sounding enthusiastic and having a really interesting technology up your sleeve. It was clear the company wasn't a good fit and I got a rejection email a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an exciting emerging technology you know about.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

interviewed at Lux Research in April 2012.

The HR person is very helpful and efficient. The phone interview was led by a research associate who was very straight forward and nice. He treated me as a friend. The whole interview was like a chatting/communication. It was moving forward very naturally. The focus would be why I was interested in the program and what kind the person I was. I did not feel much pressure during the interview since the interviewer was very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question. One of those I remembered is "why are you interested in the program".   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lux Research in November 2011.

I applied online and got a call within a week to set up a phone interview. Had a phone interview with someone from HR, primarily going over the resume.

Had a second phone interview the next day with the Director of Consulting. Went over resume again, but went further into the technical aspects of my experience. For instance, I described in detail and answered targeted questions about my Senior design project that was listed prominently on my resume.

Then, we setup an in-person interview for the next week. At this interview I met with the 5 people, each for about 30-45 min. This included the two people I had already spoken with. Everything was mostly geared as a "fit" interview, i.e. seeing if you have the social and technical chops for a consulting position at the company. Met with everyone from and Analyst to someone on the VP level.

I got a completely different feel for the company compared to the reviews on Glassdoor. The people were great, the offices looked cozy but modern. I asked every person point blank about the bad reviews on Glassdoor and they all had great responses. Many of them, having joined recently, were aware of the reviews and ensured me that the culture of the company, if it had been bad before, was much better than anything described online.

In the end, I was very happy with the whole process and excited when they extended me the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a new technology you learned about recently that could be a "game changer".   View Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Lux Research in March 2011.

Unstructured meetings with everybody who happens to be sitting in the office that day. Not much structure. Then they want you to prepare a presentation and provide list of contacts you have. They don't do a very good job assessing the skills experience of applicants.

Interview Questions
    • They expect you to know their market because they have no resources or patience to teach/train sales people. Churn and burn. Study the tech financing/R&D funding process of a major firm and build a simple PPT.   Answer Question

compensation was very poor and sales management was inexperienced.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Lux Research in August 2008.

the presentation is a lot of time to prepare - they want to weed out people who aren't serious.
    They wanted you to come up with something "surprising" to fit in with the tone of the firm - since clients only value learning things they didn't already know

negotiation was really bad:
    they wanted you to agree to a salary figure before you found out there were no retirement benefits - no 401K match - and before you found out they wouldn't tell you what the value of the stock options is, either as a valuation or as a % of the company, nor would they disclose enough of the business plan so you could at least get a story on when there would be an exit. They just stonewall. So you might as well assume their value is zero. Sets the tone for what it's like when you're on board - don't expect transparency

Sales Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Lux Research.

The interview process itself is not extraordinary: going through face-to-face interviews and telephone interviews. The unexpected part was that every single interviewers had different perspectives on the job duties, which confused me a lot, and also I should have taken it seriously as a sign of collapsing culture of Lux: no one is on the same page.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers didn't even ask my background. Instead, he talked about my hobbies for the entire interview session.   Answer Question

Consulting Intern Interview

phone interview

I applied online – interviewed at Lux Research.

I applied on an online job board and received an e-mail a few days later about setting up a phone interview. The phone interview, which occurred early the next week was fairly basic. The interviewer just asked a few questions about my resume and standard interview questions. Overall the phone interview was pretty friendly, but I guess I wasn't the right fit.

Interview Questions
    • Why this position and not a laboratory or engineering job?   Answer Question