Lux Research

Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lux Research.

Interview Details – I just had a one time interview with this company. I found the company from on campus- recruiting interface.

First, interviewer explained me what the company does and we went over my resume. Nothing special. It was just focused on the things that I did. So basically it was more like introducing myself to the company. After we went over my resume, we just had some conversation and he asked me if I have any question to the company.

Interview Question – Nothing technical   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Lux Research in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, had a phone screener, and several weeks later after no contact was asked to come in for an interview. Interview took about four hours and I met with a bunch of different people in many roles. Most people just asked me about my background, why I was interested in Lux, and why I wanted to do research rather than engineering. Some people asked me to tell them about new technologies I found exciting, and in that case it was important to tell them an emerging technology rather than an emerging design technique. One meeting at the interview was remote via phone, and the man asked me to tell him about an interesting technology I'd encountered; while I was telling him, he interrupted with "That sounds pretty boring...is there any way you can make me interested in this?" so I would suggest sounding enthusiastic and having a really interesting technology up your sleeve. It was clear the company wasn't a good fit and I got a rejection email a few days later.

Interview Question – Tell me about an exciting emerging technology you know about.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Lux Research in March 2011.

Interview Details – Unstructured meetings with everybody who happens to be sitting in the office that day. Not much structure. Then they want you to prepare a presentation and provide list of contacts you have. They don't do a very good job assessing the skills experience of applicants.

Interview Question – They expect you to know their market because they have no resources or patience to teach/train sales people. Churn and burn. Study the tech financing/R&D funding process of a major firm and build a simple PPT.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – compensation was very poor and sales management was inexperienced.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lux Research.

Interview Details – I initially reached out to Lux through their posting on LinkedIn. HR got back to me and scheduled me to meet four individuals coming from different roles in the company, including another research associate. I met with each person for about 15 minutes each, and they asked many standard interview questions, ie. why Lux, why that field, and I could tell the upper level management was trying to get a feel for how much I knew about my background.

Interview Question – Write a few paragraphs on how a toilet works (during interview)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Boston, MA

I interviewed at Lux Research in April 2012.

Interview Details – The HR person is very helpful and efficient. The phone interview was led by a research associate who was very straight forward and nice. He treated me as a friend. The whole interview was like a chatting/communication. It was moving forward very naturally. The focus would be why I was interested in the program and what kind the person I was. I did not feel much pressure during the interview since the interviewer was very friendly.

Interview Question – No difficult question. One of those I remembered is "why are you interested in the program".   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lux Research in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call within a week to set up a phone interview. Had a phone interview with someone from HR, primarily going over the resume.

Had a second phone interview the next day with the Director of Consulting. Went over resume again, but went further into the technical aspects of my experience. For instance, I described in detail and answered targeted questions about my Senior design project that was listed prominently on my resume.

Then, we setup an in-person interview for the next week. At this interview I met with the 5 people, each for about 30-45 min. This included the two people I had already spoken with. Everything was mostly geared as a "fit" interview, i.e. seeing if you have the social and technical chops for a consulting position at the company. Met with everyone from and Analyst to someone on the VP level.

I got a completely different feel for the company compared to the reviews on Glassdoor. The people were great, the offices looked cozy but modern. I asked every person point blank about the bad reviews on Glassdoor and they all had great responses. Many of them, having joined recently, were aware of the reviews and ensured me that the culture of the company, if it had been bad before, was much better than anything described online.

In the end, I was very happy with the whole process and excited when they extended me the offer.

Interview Question – Tell me about a new technology you learned about recently that could be a "game changer".   View Answer

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
Boston, MA

The process took 5 months - interviewed at Lux Research in August 2008.

Interview Details – the presentation is a lot of time to prepare - they want to weed out people who aren't serious.
They wanted you to come up with something "surprising" to fit in with the tone of the firm - since clients only value learning things they didn't already know

Negotiation Details – negotiation was really bad:
they wanted you to agree to a salary figure before you found out there were no retirement benefits - no 401K match - and before you found out they wouldn't tell you what the value of the stock options is, either as a valuation or as a % of the company, nor would they disclose enough of the business plan so you could at least get a story on when there would be an exit. They just stonewall. So you might as well assume their value is zero. Sets the tone for what it's like when you're on board - don't expect transparency

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied online and interviewed at Lux Research.

Interview Details – The interview process itself is not extraordinary: going through face-to-face interviews and telephone interviews. The unexpected part was that every single interviewers had different perspectives on the job duties, which confused me a lot, and also I should have taken it seriously as a sign of collapsing culture of Lux: no one is on the same page.

Interview Question – One of the interviewers didn't even ask my background. Instead, he talked about my hobbies for the entire interview session.   Answer Question

Consulting Intern Interview

Consulting Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Lux Research.

Interview Details – phone interview

Interview Question – time you were most challenged   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Lux Research in September 2012.

Interview Details – Intense. Had a spontaneous phone interview with senior analyst, then another planned with HR, then finally an in-person interview with staff at the office. I had to prepare a 20-min PPT presentation on a tech topic with 4 days to prepare. Three days to go, I got an email requesting a 3-page fact sheet on a totally different topic. On the day of, the interview was a total of 5 hours. Intense and very tiring. They said they were very impressed with my work and then I didn't get any word from them again.

Interview Question – How can you convince us that you're right for this position? and a ton of specific questions relating to the tech PPT.   Answer Question

Worked for Lux Research? Contribute to the Community!