Lyris

Lyris Interview Questions

Updated Jan 13, 2015
Updated Jan 13, 2015

Product Team Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Lyris.

Leadership team is very open, highly energized and is looking for good cultural fit and similarly minded employees

Fair

Technical Support Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lyris in November 2013.

Very straightforward and honest, I was quite fond of this process. Short and direct. They move quick and can typically hire you within a week or so if you're a good match. Be sure to take the quiz, your resume will be chucked if you don't. The technical test is true to the original quiz, study your answers and you will be fine.

Interview Questions
    • Writing a sql join statement w/o a machine lol   View Answer
    Never accept the first offer!

Customer Success Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Lyris in July 2013.

I was contacted 3 weeks after applying. Recruiter reached out via e-mail to schedule a phone interview.

First attempt:
    10 minutes after it was scheduled to begin, I received an e-mail from the recruiter saying that the hiring manager had an unforeseen call and that they'd like to reschedule. We rescheduled it for 5 days later.

Second Attempt:
    This time 15 minutes passed and I politely emailed the recruiter asking what happened. The same response was given. I declined to continue being considered.

I know things come up, but this was very unprofessional. I do feel like my time wasn't valued at all.

Director of Account Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lyris in August 2012.

I met with 5 people who were directors or higher. Met with the hiring manager 3 times. I talked to a number of HR people on the phone. I like the office energy and buzz and the people I met. All in all the process was really efficient, I was happy with the speed of things despite the fact that I didn't get the offer I had wanted.

Interview Questions
    • How to manage the balance of customer selling and relationship management.   View Answer

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lyris in May 2012.

I applied to an online ad and was sent an automated email asking me to interview. A director called me on the date and time we agreed and asked me a few basic questions. The questions were focused on the experience I had, what I could do, etc. The interviewer was a "fill in" director for another and had a hard time answering my questions, and lacked any enthusiasm. I felt as though she interviewed all day had a standard question sheet and couldn't care less about the role. After the interview I followed up by phone email etc, and got an automated email stating the position was filled. After another week went buy received another invite to interview, but turned it down.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lyris in March 2012.

Application "got lost", there was a feeling of a poor process management from the start. Dates for interview were given and changed twice. Once there, waited ~ 30 min for the interviewers and the conference room to get available. Got a feeling that they were expecting a different candidate for a different position. Office and the neighborhood does not have free parking. Everybody inside seems super-busy, no eye contact. Office space with no windows,but, on a bright side, conference rooms are named after Will Ferrell movies.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Lyris in June 2011.

The process started off with a recruiter. Then a 1:1 with the CFO. I then had to do 4 skype interviews with the executive team, which 2 of them never showed and the other 2 ended up doing phone interviews. The team seemed very knowlegable and the company seems like one I could advance. 3 weeks I waited for an offer, after being told I was the top candidate. The offer finally came, however it was far below what we had discussed in the initial interview. They then told me the dynamics of the position had changed and I that I would have to interview with yet another executive. I spoke with him and he was unaware they were even hiring for the position. I waited another 2 weeks to hear a response. The CFO then contacted me and told me the the budget was tight, he didn't want to lay me off in a few months due to finances.

Interview Questions

For 5 weeks I waited for an offer, several emails and I even declined an offer that I had on the table. They seem to be very inexperienced. I read between the lines.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lyris in April 2011.

The company is located in the downtown of San Jose.
    It's very easy to find the office in the building, since there seems to have only one company on the floor.
    Offices are quite big and clean. Environment is great.
    People are very nice.
    firstly, ask about the background, like education, when to graduate.
    second, talk about the projects, like research projects and industry projects
    third, some technical question, not very hard.
    Most of the questions are fundamental, but design patterns are highly desired,.

Field Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lyris in January 2011.

From the phone interview to the in-person interview, they sent mixed messages and were disorganized. The Field Marketing Manager was professional, insightful and cheery, but the Senior Marketing Programs Manager was abrupt, standoffish and impersonal, which made me leave with a really bad impression about the company. What I remember hearing was employees leaving, products that don't work/never gained traction, and being pigeonholed as an entry-level model. Sucks for them.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a project that recently failed and explain why.   Answer Question

Finance and Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Lyris in January 2011.

The process started with the recruiter contacting me, indicating the opportunity, and being very candid about the transition at the senior management level, underway since the new CEO joined in Aug 2010.
    From the initial communication with the recruiter, the recruiting team and interviewing team was clear about the challenges ahead. They were thorough and organized. It appeared that interviewers had been properly prepped and had clear and relevant questions. I found the experience reassuring. I would offer to future candidates that they read up on the new management team, and be prepared to ask direct and intelligent questions back to the interviewing team.

My perception of the people I met -- intelligent, dedicated, committed to changing the company to be a top place to work. The office and work culture is changing -- new leadership seems committed to create a high integrity, passionate and progressive workplace culture.

Interview Questions
    • How connected are you to social media? Describe how you use social media in your professional life   View Answer
    Looking at the rest of the GlassDoor salary information, Lyris seems to be paying competitive wage. I'd recommend that candidates ask about the total compensation package -- salary, incentives, stock, and benefits, before beginning any negotiation.