Médecins Sans Frontières

Updated Sep 25, 2014

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Médecins Sans Frontières

Communications Assistant Interview

only 1 round standard interview in front of 2 managers, casual chatting, asking about background, belief, understanding toward the organization.

Field Coordinator Interview

The hiring process begins with the completion of an online application. I was contacted via email one month after application and was invited for a telephone screening interview a month later.

The screening interview lasted 12 minutes. Although I have not yet advanced to the next stage, I was told I would be contacted in 1 or 2 weeks regarding the status of my application. If still found to be competitive, I would be invited to an in-person interview. If approved, I would attend a 3-day training course before being entered on the job roster for deployment. I was told the deployment process takes 6-9 months on average.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for MSF?   Answer Question
    • Do you have experience working in insecure environments? If so, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable living in primitive conditions?   Answer Question
    • What do you think are the most important qualities for a Field Coordinator to possess?   Answer Question
    • How do you envision your job as a Field Coordinator with MSF?   Answer Question

Field Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Médecins Sans Frontières in January 2012.

It was very interesting process, other than the usual interview (via skype) there was also a recruitment center which is a day long workshop to explore one's ability to interact with others and to see if they are team players. I found it very useful in the way that it provided me with some self awareness.

Interview Questions
    • I was presented with the problem of a number of people trapped in a cave and was asked on how to coordinate their exit   View Answer
    The process was very relaxed and transparent, the HR coordinator was very clear regarding the rules and regulations. All my questions were answered.

Lab Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nhlangano (Swaziland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nhlangano (Swaziland)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Médecins Sans Frontières in August 2011.

Two Supervisors, given oral and written exam. Oral Questions ranged from my background to personality, Written exam covered testing methods currently available in the Bio-medical field so you need to keep yourself up to date with the latest diagnostic methods

Interview Questions
    • Mostly Lab Testing Methods currently available so needed to be up to date with the latest Technology in Bio-medical field   View Answer
    Try to negotiate your salary before hand, ask how much they will offer and the benefits available.

Field Logistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Médecins Sans Frontières in January 2011.

Submitted written application, sent to France for validation, approved. Met a representative in a hotel room for short conversation of behavioural questions. I.e. what would you do if you were stressed, what are difficult situations you have faced and how did you deal with them.
    Did quick written exam of general knowledge of engineering. Questions about cars, generators, electricity, water, concrete, construction.

Interview Questions
    • Tell a time when you had to admonish someone.   View Answer
    No negotiation