M&T Bank Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015
Updated Mar 22, 2015

2.5

Relationship Banker II Interview

I applied online – interviewed at M&T Bank.

I initially applied for the Relationship banker 1 position. The process took exactly 2 weeks from time of application to the time they offered the job. I applied Wednesday night and got a call from the recruiter the following morning. She asked pretty basic questions to determine my sales and customer service skills and personality as well as a few behavioral questions. The call was about 30mins long and at the end she offered the Relationship banker 2 position and said someone would contact me in a couple days to schedule an interview with a branch manager.
    I had to call the following monday to check on the interview with branch manager because I hadnt received a call. Later that day someone from HR called to set up interview the next day.
    The Branch manager I interviewed with was very stern looking but pleasant. He asked every sales and customer service behavioral question you can think of so be prepared and have very good real life examples as well. It lasted about an hour and he told me if I am chosen then I should hear back in about 2 weeks.
    I received a call 8 days later with an offer over the phone but i requested it in writing so I could review it. The offer was pretty good but I countered and ended up getting an extra 4k/yr. I would definitely advise you to counter whatever offer they give you especially if its less than you want, but they probably wont go above an additional 4-5k unless you have additional degrees or licenses.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at M&T Bank.

The interview was nice and casual. The Interviewer asked a lot of questions concerning the things on my resumee. It lasted about 45 minutes, and we often got off topic. It was an interview mostly focused around getting a feel of what type of person I was and how well I could converse.

MDP Retail Banking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank in March 2015.

My first round was on campus. The interviewer was very friendly knowledgable since she manages the MDP students. The process was structured less like a typical interview because it felt as if I was just having a conversation.

The second round, they bring you into the office. I had two consecutive interviews, and again the process was very pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • What does your typical day look like.
      What makes you different than your peers?
      Describe people in 3 words.

Answer Question

Executive Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at M&T Bank.

Multiple rounds of interviews with HR and people within the group for which I applied. Mostly qualitative questions centered on my background, my knowledge of the bank, and my knowledge of the industry with which I intended to work. The process took several weeks

Interview Questions
    • What strategies did you employ in your former role to create and maintain new relationships?   Answer Question

Relationship Banker I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank in February 2015.

I applied online, then took a test, after a few days someone called me to schedule a phone interview with the recruiter. The recruiter asked me about my salary expectations and then asked me a few questions like how I would like to be managed and how would I help an upset customer. Right away she passed me for the second interview. Her assistant called me again to schedule the second interview. It was pretty straight forward.

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank in February 2015.

Had one phone screen through on campus recruiting with a VP, he asked mostly behavioral questions and a few "if you had this problem in an excel spreadsheet, how would you go about handling it?" case type questions. Fairly easy interview, the guy was really nice. Within 1.5 weeks was notified that I was invited to final rounds. Indicated preferences for position placements (variety of departments and locations like DE, Baltimore, Buffalo), and got my top choice. They flew me to Buffalo for super day, and had four interviews including lunch with a potential co-worker.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at M&T Bank.

Applied through my schools website early in the Fall semester and interviewed on campus. They send a list of open positions before your interview, which you have to narrow down for the interview. About 40 options explained in great detail on that list. Interview was about 30 minutes long, mostly behavioral questions, nothing too out of the ordinary. My interview was not with an HR representative.

MDP Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at M&T Bank.

Not too difficult. It begins with an on campus or phone interview, which is basic questions about your resume and a few behavioral questions. The next round of interviews is with four different high-ups that are in various departments of the bank.

Telephone Customer Service Representative Interview

The process was very easy and professional. Definitely felt relaxed and welcome. The hiring manager was very nice laid back. Make the whole process easy. Gave me some information about the company

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you provided excellent customer service   Answer Question

Assistant Branch Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at M&T Bank.

Applied online. Was called within a couple of days for the phone interview. Called back that same day to set up a face to face with the branch manager which took place a couple of weeks later. A meeting with the regional manager the week after that.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in a year? 2 years? 5 years?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Offer was good.