M&T Bank Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

2.5

Teller Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at M&T Bank.

After years of experience, I was called and asked if I would take a position as if I had never worked for a bank with beginner pay. It was not even the position I applied for. The conversation was very minuscule conversation about skills and it took several times of applying, for positions I was qualified for, before getting a call about a position I was over qualified for.

Management Development Program Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank.

Applied through my university and interviewed on campus about two weeks later. Interviewer was from their headquarters in Buffalo and was fairly strange/rude. Asked some pretty general fit questions and focused on specific parts of my resume. Asked what role I wanted to fill within the company - marketing, strategy, etc. Make sure you know something about M&T Bank and their operations. The program is also at their headquarters in Buffalo, NY so make sure you're okay with that before applying.

Relationship Banker Lll Interview

I applied online – interviewed at M&T Bank in October 2014.

Over the phone interview conducted by a recruiter. It was no questions that was asked except how much money do you want. Face to face was scheduled the following week. Overall the experience was easy. The interview was more conversational.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation with an employee that wanted to do things the way their previous job did?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate to the salary I wanted.

Financial Consultant II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank.

Been through 3 interviews and awaiting a decision on whether I will get hired for the position. They seem like a good company to work for... Being a bank and playing in the market we're in, it should be a good time for consultative selling...

Interview Questions
    • Role playing and being asked the typical rate questions (objections). Not difficult, just tried to make the person perceive value... In the absence of value, fees will be of concern.... This is a relationship business   Answer Question

Part-time Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reisterstown, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reisterstown, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at M&T Bank in July 2014.

Phone interview with HR & she asked basic questions: "why M&T Bank? Give me a time when you dealt with an irate customer. What is good customer service to you...?"

Interview Questions
    • "What salary do you expect?"..... this is difficult because if you say the wrong number it may hurt your chances. They should just tell you what the entry level pay is.   Answer Question

Fraud Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at M&T Bank in July 2014.

Scheduled first phone interview... Never received a call. Contacted HR and rescheduled interview. After initial phone interview and months of sending emails about the status of my interview, I finally received an email stating they selected someone else for the position. Completely unprofessional.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank.

I do not want to be forced to give this information in an effort to maintain my Anonymity. I started as a temp and was offered a position by a peer manager.

Insurance Proc Case Manager Interview

Initially contacted by a human resource representative for a phone screening. This occurred about two weeks after I applied online. At the end of the phone screening, an in-office interview was scheduled. Everyone in the office was extremely friendly, and the interview discussion was pleasant. The actual interview was one-on-one.

Interview Questions
    • There were really no difficult questions. The first question was "tell me about yourself" which offers a great opportunity to showcase your experience. The most unexpected question was when the interviewer asked if I had thought about applying to a completely different position in the company, after I explained why I was really interested in the position that I was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank in June 2014.

Initial communication with HR. Standard questions were asked. Nothing out of the ordinary. I had a secondary interview with the hiring manager was superior. He was excited about the position and I believe was looking for someone with a diverse skillset. My third interview was an on-site interview. I met with the hiring manager and his boss, both VPs. I also met briefly with a project team leader. They were all looking for leadership qualities as well as technical skillsets necessary to properly manage a team.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was completely unexpected. However, I think the original thought for the position was expanded into more of a management role based upon my experience. Discussion was based upon my diversity of experience as well as my management experience. As a technical leader, the questions regarding my management style was discussed in some detail.   Answer Question

Summer MDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at M&T Bank.

Interviewed on-campus then flew to Buffalo for a day-long interview with several members and a member of the Management Development Program. Total of about 6 interviews. Everyone was very friendly. A lot of the process seemed to be about selling applicants on Buffalo.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected- mostly just asked about my resumé and experience, and my ideas for the position.   Answer Question