M&T Bank Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.5

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank.

Interview

Applied online, did a phone interview a week later and then an in-person interview a week after that. Throughout the process I spoke with several different recruiters. I really felt that I was a good fit for the job and the interview went well. I was told I would be contacted by the recruiter if the position would be offered to me. The recruiter always called first and then sent an email. After several weeks had passed I hadn't heard anything. I had to take an unexpected trip to tend to an ill family member. I had finally received an email from the branch manager saying they had been trying and trying to get a hold of me. They were trying to offer me the position. I explained the situation and declared my interest, asking what I could do to resolve the confusion, I never received a response. I was confused as to why the recruiter didnt email me if I couldnt be reached by phone. The process was great except for the confusion caused by speaking with several different recruiters and the length I was expected to wait.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you had to deal with a disgruntled customer. How did you go above and beyond to properly handle the situation?   Answer Question

Branch Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at M&T Bank.

Interview

4 interviews of same questions lasting about an hour each, lots of focus on handling customers, coaching employees and business development. They all asked basically behavioral questions. They want to know how you respond to difficult and challenging situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a challenging customer situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank.

Interview

I was interviewed on campus with a HR Director from Rochester. Then I was selected to interview at their HQ in Buffalo with 3 different people. Offered a wide range of area's across New York State that I could apply for. Every one I spoke with was very kind and helpful with arranging everything. I feel that this company does a good job training their employees.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you motivate people? What leadership roles have you held? Describe your busiest day. Then was selected to go interview in Buffalo. Was meeting with 3 people and it was 3 hrs long.   Answer Question

Management Development Program Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Paltz, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at M&T Bank (New Paltz, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I got the interview through my university. All I had to do was send my resume in. The interview took about a half hour. There were two interviewers, one was asking most of the questions while the other took notes (he chimed in a few times). Mostly asked behavioral questions and wanted to hear about past work experiences. I'm currently waiting to hear back for a second interview. There are 3-4 interviews.

Management Development Program Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank (Baltimore, MD) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through current employee referral, had phone interview, then in-person interview with 2 groups of 2. another phone interview the next day after positive reviews from the in-person ones. waiting for results

MDP Interview

Interview

I applied for the MDP program and the interview process was at a conference. Every student in attendance at that conference had a 2 way interview: some were back to back and some had 30min to an hour break inbetween. The people at M&T Bank made such a wonderful 1st impression for someone who was so nervous at that time, and their focus on community made the interview process more comfortable.

Relationship Banker II Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at M&T Bank.

Interview

I initially applied for the Relationship banker 1 position. The process took exactly 2 weeks from time of application to the time they offered the job. I applied Wednesday night and got a call from the recruiter the following morning. She asked pretty basic questions to determine my sales and customer service skills and personality as well as a few behavioral questions. The call was about 30mins long and at the end she offered the Relationship banker 2 position and said someone would contact me in a couple days to schedule an interview with a branch manager.
    I had to call the following monday to check on the interview with branch manager because I hadnt received a call. Later that day someone from HR called to set up interview the next day.
    The Branch manager I interviewed with was very stern looking but pleasant. He asked every sales and customer service behavioral question you can think of so be prepared and have very good real life examples as well. It lasted about an hour and he told me if I am chosen then I should hear back in about 2 weeks.
    I received a call 8 days later with an offer over the phone but i requested it in writing so I could review it. The offer was pretty good but I countered and ended up getting an extra 4k/yr. I would definitely advise you to counter whatever offer they give you especially if its less than you want, but they probably wont go above an additional 4-5k unless you have additional degrees or licenses.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at M&T Bank.

Interview

The interview was nice and casual. The Interviewer asked a lot of questions concerning the things on my resumee. It lasted about 45 minutes, and we often got off topic. It was an interview mostly focused around getting a feel of what type of person I was and how well I could converse.

MDP Retail Banking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank (Syracuse, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

My first round was on campus. The interviewer was very friendly knowledgable since she manages the MDP students. The process was structured less like a typical interview because it felt as if I was just having a conversation.

The second round, they bring you into the office. I had two consecutive interviews, and again the process was very pleasant.

Interview Questions

• What does your typical day look like.
      What makes you different than your peers?
      Describe people in 3 words.

Answer Question

Summer MDP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank (Buffalo, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a very friendly interview with 4 different directors and a lunch with a former program graduate. They ask mostly fit/behavioral questions, so you really need to know your resume well and be able to tell your story. You can tell that each director loves their job, and as long as you convey your passion you should be fine.