M&T Bank Interview Questions

2.5

Bank Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at M&T Bank.

Fairly easy interview. Wasn't too prepared but managed to get by.

Interview Questions
    • They mostly asked questions about my education and how my experience would help me in the position at hand.   Answer Question

Sales Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at M&T Bank.

The Interview process was lenthy and required some travel. The first step was a phone interview with one of the hiring managers in HR. Following the interview we were able to confirm a second interview with the supervisor of the program. This took place within two week and following the second interview I was caled for the third interview. The third interview was with the Branch manager of the home branch I would be training in. The overall process was lengthy, but went fairly smoothly.

Interview Questions
    • The most diffiuclt question and common one that I had found was answering the question, why bankning?   Answer Question
    There was no neotiating!

Assistant Branch Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at M&T Bank.

In the following order: applied online, phone screening with HR, F2F with branch manager, F2F with regional manager. Total process took about 3 weeks and was rather quick. Both F2F interviews were comfortable and focused on my background and myself as an individual along with where I would ultimately like my career to go with M&T. After interviewing with several competitors in which generic script STAR questions were asked this was a great departure and made me feel like the people interviewing me actually cared about me.

Interview Questions
    • None, most of the dialogue was conversational focusing on my background and aspirations for personal and career growth.   Answer Question
    Not much wiggle room but I managed to get a little more than the initial offer, I think both me and HR ended up being happy when all was said and done.

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at M&T Bank.

Phone interview followed by an 8 hour in person. I got the impression they were not sure what they wanted and the recruiter was just throwing candidates at them. It really felt like a huge waste of time and make me why tthey are known as Meet and Talk. I was very diasppointed with some of the people, especially the hour spent with one gentlemen talking to me about topics not at all related to the bank or the role - was quite insulting and worriesome. Perhaps they would not be working such long hours if they could cut down the chit chat.

Teller Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at M&T Bank in December 2012.

I was called in to the interview where I met with the branch manager and their regional operations coordinator. It went smoothly, and they seemed excited to bring me on board. I provided a business plan and discussed how I'd use my skills to take a branch that had had very little leadership and turn it around. Unfortunately, when I began to implement just what I'd discussed in the interview, my manager changed his tune on what he liked from his teller manager.

Interview Questions
    A call from HR in Buffalo. They throw out a number and you accept or renegotiate. I negotiated for more and received a call back within 20 minutes accepting my request.

Management Development Program Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at M&T Bank in March 2013.

The interview process was very straightforward and professional. I had my first round interview on my college campus, which consisted of 20 or so minutes of conversational/behavioral questions related to fit, my interest in M&T, as well as my interest in the specific MDP position I was applying for (Employee Operations).
    For the second round, I was flown out to Buffalo for a day of interviews in the M&T office with various HR executives. Again, very pleasant experience. I never felt intimidated nor that my interviewers were trying to stump me. All questions were ones I had expected (e.g., Tell me about a time you had to take a leadership role in a group setting; Why do you think you would be a good addition to our team?).

Interview Questions
    • "What was the most complex data analysis you've ever had to do?"   View Answer

I received another similar offer around the same time for a company located in my favorite city (and with somewhat better pay, though M&T's offer is fairly competitive).

Vice President Interview

Two interviews in depth interviews and was hired by the company. Solid interview questions that were relevant to the positions requirements and duties. Interviewed by all of the relevant parties appropriate for the job. Good job opportunity relating to significant business development with desirable clients.

Sales Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at M&T Bank.

I got introduced to M&T Bank through a connection to career development on campus. The first step was a telephone interview which went quite well and ended in a good conversation. Probably about a month later I received a call from Human Resources to set up an interview at a main branch with two branch managers. Although I felt I was prepared for the interview, when the day came I simply was not there. I had been dealing with some family issues so my mind wasn't really in it which was unfortunate because I really wanted the job. The first thing they asked was just a few preliminary questions about myself which were easy to answer but I was even fumbling over those. Next they asked some behavioral questions like "Tell me about a time when you...?"

Once I answered five behavioral questions they asked me to do a mock sales call and try to sell them a red marker that was sitting on the table. From there they asked me if I had any questions and I asked a few questions about the bank and about banking in general.

I knew before I even walked out of the building that I did not get the job because my energy was simply not there but the interviewers were very nice and it wasn't a horrible experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond for a customer?
      Tell me about a time when you exceeded someone's expectations?
      Mock sales call over a small object
        Answer Question

Intern Interview

First round on campus interview then Super Day

M&T Bank MDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at M&T Bank in February 2013.

Campus Interview with a local officer here in Buffalo.

A week or so later I was called to have an onsite interview with 3 people. 2 regional managers and 1 phone interview with an HR person.

Interview was on Friday morning and Offer was received Monday morning.

Be very friendly and feel confident in what you know about the bank and you will be fine.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of management/sales skills do you have? What do you expect out of this program. Simple interview questions. They don't look to trick you at all.   Answer Question
    The offer was higher than expected so I did not negotiate. This program is very difficult to get into unless your are from an Ivy league or large school which I was not.