M&T Bank

Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Branch Manager Interview

Assistant Branch Manager
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at M&T Bank.

Interview Details – In the following order: applied online, phone screening with HR, F2F with branch manager, F2F with regional manager. Total process took about 3 weeks and was rather quick. Both F2F interviews were comfortable and focused on my background and myself as an individual along with where I would ultimately like my career to go with M&T. After interviewing with several competitors in which generic script STAR questions were asked this was a great departure and made me feel like the people interviewing me actually cared about me.

Interview Question – None, most of the dialogue was conversational focusing on my background and aspirations for personal and career growth.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much wiggle room but I managed to get a little more than the initial offer, I think both me and HR ended up being happy when all was said and done.

Very Easy Interview

Marketing Interview

Marketing

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at M&T Bank.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by an 8 hour in person. I got the impression they were not sure what they wanted and the recruiter was just throwing candidates at them. It really felt like a huge waste of time and make me why tthey are known as Meet and Talk. I was very diasppointed with some of the people, especially the hour spent with one gentlemen talking to me about topics not at all related to the bank or the role - was quite insulting and worriesome. Perhaps they would not be working such long hours if they could cut down the chit chat.

Very Easy Interview

Teller Manager Interview

Teller Manager

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at M&T Bank in December 2012.

Interview Details – I was called in to the interview where I met with the branch manager and their regional operations coordinator. It went smoothly, and they seemed excited to bring me on board. I provided a business plan and discussed how I'd use my skills to take a branch that had had very little leadership and turn it around. Unfortunately, when I began to implement just what I'd discussed in the interview, my manager changed his tune on what he liked from his teller manager.

Interview Question – Very standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A call from HR in Buffalo. They throw out a number and you accept or renegotiate. I negotiated for more and received a call back within 20 minutes accepting my request.

Management Development Program Trainee Interview

Management Development Program Trainee
Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at M&T Bank in March 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straightforward and professional. I had my first round interview on my college campus, which consisted of 20 or so minutes of conversational/behavioral questions related to fit, my interest in M&T, as well as my interest in the specific MDP position I was applying for (Employee Operations).
For the second round, I was flown out to Buffalo for a day of interviews in the M&T office with various HR executives. Again, very pleasant experience. I never felt intimidated nor that my interviewers were trying to stump me. All questions were ones I had expected (e.g., Tell me about a time you had to take a leadership role in a group setting; Why do you think you would be a good addition to our team?).

Interview Question – "What was the most complex data analysis you've ever had to do?"   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I received another similar offer around the same time for a company located in my favorite city (and with somewhat better pay, though M&T's offer is fairly competitive).

Vice President Interview

Vice President

Interviewed at M&T Bank

Interview Details – Two interviews in depth interviews and was hired by the company. Solid interview questions that were relevant to the positions requirements and duties. Interviewed by all of the relevant parties appropriate for the job. Good job opportunity relating to significant business development with desirable clients.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Sales Development Program Interview

Sales Development Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at M&T Bank.

Interview Details – I got introduced to M&T Bank through a connection to career development on campus. The first step was a telephone interview which went quite well and ended in a good conversation. Probably about a month later I received a call from Human Resources to set up an interview at a main branch with two branch managers. Although I felt I was prepared for the interview, when the day came I simply was not there. I had been dealing with some family issues so my mind wasn't really in it which was unfortunate because I really wanted the job. The first thing they asked was just a few preliminary questions about myself which were easy to answer but I was even fumbling over those. Next they asked some behavioral questions like "Tell me about a time when you...?"

Once I answered five behavioral questions they asked me to do a mock sales call and try to sell them a red marker that was sitting on the table. From there they asked me if I had any questions and I asked a few questions about the bank and about banking in general.

I knew before I even walked out of the building that I did not get the job because my energy was simply not there but the interviewers were very nice and it wasn't a horrible experience.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond for a customer?
Tell me about a time when you exceeded someone's expectations?
Mock sales call over a small object
  Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

Interview Details – First round on campus interview then Super Day

M&T Bank MDP Interview

M&T Bank MDP
Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at M&T Bank in February 2013.

Interview Details – Campus Interview with a local officer here in Buffalo.

A week or so later I was called to have an onsite interview with 3 people. 2 regional managers and 1 phone interview with an HR person.

Interview was on Friday morning and Offer was received Monday morning.

Be very friendly and feel confident in what you know about the bank and you will be fine.

Interview Question – What kind of management/sales skills do you have? What do you expect out of this program. Simple interview questions. They don't look to trick you at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was higher than expected so I did not negotiate. This program is very difficult to get into unless your are from an Ivy league or large school which I was not.

MDP Program Interview

MDP Program

Interviewed at M&T Bank

Interview Details – Interviewed first round on campus.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions- they were very friendly and easy going about the interview.   Answer Question

Sales Development Program Interview

Sales Development Program

I applied online - interviewed at M&T Bank in February 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview. Pretty straight forward and typical interview questions. Focused mostly on how skills acquired in previous positions could be applied to bank sales.

It was made clear that there would be three training that would require traveling to Buffalo, Baltimore and Harrisburg. Not something I am sure I can or am willing to do.

Interview Question – I was prepared to be asked one or several of the "canned" difficult interview questions - "What is you biggest weakness," or the like - though it never came.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at M&T Bank