M&T Bank Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014
Updated Oct 19, 2014

2.5

Sales Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at M&T Bank.

I got introduced to M&T Bank through a connection to career development on campus. The first step was a telephone interview which went quite well and ended in a good conversation. Probably about a month later I received a call from Human Resources to set up an interview at a main branch with two branch managers. Although I felt I was prepared for the interview, when the day came I simply was not there. I had been dealing with some family issues so my mind wasn't really in it which was unfortunate because I really wanted the job. The first thing they asked was just a few preliminary questions about myself which were easy to answer but I was even fumbling over those. Next they asked some behavioral questions like "Tell me about a time when you...?"

Once I answered five behavioral questions they asked me to do a mock sales call and try to sell them a red marker that was sitting on the table. From there they asked me if I had any questions and I asked a few questions about the bank and about banking in general.

I knew before I even walked out of the building that I did not get the job because my energy was simply not there but the interviewers were very nice and it wasn't a horrible experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond for a customer?
      Tell me about a time when you exceeded someone's expectations?
      Mock sales call over a small object
        Answer Question

Intern Interview

First round on campus interview then Super Day

MDP Program Interview

Interviewed first round on campus.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions- they were very friendly and easy going about the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank.

I originally applied through my school. I had a first round interview on campus with a previous Management Development Program Trainee. He was very nice and asked me a series of behavioral questions. During the interview, I was asked to fill out a sheet indicating which groups within M&T I would be interested in. At the end of the interview, he told me on the spot that I would be moving on to the next round. About a month later, I was contacted by HR to schedule a superday in M&T's Buffalo offices. After scheduling the interview, I was flown out to Buffalo and put up in a really cushy hotel. For the superday, I had around 7 interviews with 2 different groups. Everyone was extremely friendly and spoke very highly of M&T. I was given an offer a few days after my superday.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a few probability questions. I was also tested on my regression skills.   Answer Question

Unfortunately, the salary was a little too low for me to consider relocating to Buffalo, NY.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank in March 2013.

The interview process was very straightforward and professional. I had my first round interview on my college campus, which consisted of 20 or so minutes of conversational/behavioral questions related to fit, my interest in M&T, as well as my interest in the specific MDP position I was applying for (Employee Operations).
    For the second round, I was flown out to Buffalo for a day of interviews in the M&T office with various HR executives. Again, very pleasant experience. I never felt intimidated nor that my interviewers were trying to stump me. All questions were ones I had expected (e.g., Tell me about a time you had to take a leadership role in a group setting; Why do you think you would be a good addition to our team?).

Interview Questions
    • "What was the most complex data analysis you've ever had to do?"   View Answer

I received another similar offer around the same time for a company located in my favorite city (and with somewhat better pay, though M&T's offer is fairly competitive).

Summer MDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at M&T Bank.

Second round I met with 5 managers in my department all asking fit questions -- nothing too technical or difficult. But they do like it when people know a lot about the Bank and show genuine interest.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank in March 2013.

I met with my boss and answered a few question around my experience and he explained the job, Then I met with HR and they asked a few more questions along with my salary requirements. Then I met with my bosses boss and answered some more questions. Once the interviews were complete HR called with an offer.

Management Development Program Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at M&T Bank.

Met with an on campus recruiter for first round interview. I was asked many standard questions: tell me about yourself, why M&T... That all went well but when I started to ask questions I had about the specifics of the training program, she hardly knew anything about it. This was a little frustrating for me and reflected poorly on M&T, the conversation which had been moving very well became awkward quickly as she had nothing to say. I was invited for a second round interview, but declined as I had received another offer

M&T Bank MDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank in February 2013.

Campus Interview with a local officer here in Buffalo.

A week or so later I was called to have an onsite interview with 3 people. 2 regional managers and 1 phone interview with an HR person.

Interview was on Friday morning and Offer was received Monday morning.

Be very friendly and feel confident in what you know about the bank and you will be fine.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of management/sales skills do you have? What do you expect out of this program. Simple interview questions. They don't look to trick you at all.   Answer Question
    The offer was higher than expected so I did not negotiate. This program is very difficult to get into unless your are from an Ivy league or large school which I was not.

Summer Management Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at M&T Bank in February 2013.

Through Campus recruiting program. I submitted my resume through my school, and was eventually notified that I had received a first round interview. I arrived at my school's career center, and waited a little bit and was eventually was called. My interview lasted about 30 minutes, no technicals, just going over the resume. Nothing spectacularly exciting, very average.

Interview Questions
    • Asking mostly about what you wanted to do within the program, which I would suggesting understanding before going into the interview.   Answer Question