M&T Bank MDP Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2014

2.8

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

MDP Interview

Applied through college job portal, got an on campus interview and was then invited for an interview with the hiring team at their HQ in Buffalo, NY. All the travel expenses from flight to hotel was covered so that was very nice of them.

Overall, I think the MDP is a good program but the position being in Buffalo was a huge turn off for me. I don't have anything against the city, but relocating there really wasn't the right step for me. When I got to their office in buffalo and met with the managers of the department I was being hired for, I realized the management style there is old fashioned.

They highly value their MDP graduates and they tell you there is a lot of room for growth and development. I think it's great they invest so much into the program, but unless you want to work and live in Buffalo your whole life, I really would not consider joining this company.

Other Interview Reviews for M&T Bank

MDP Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank in March 2014.

I applied though on campus recruiting by submitting my resume through my school's career services. First interview was on-campus and consisted only of behavioral questions. I was flown out for superday where I had about 7 interviews with two different groups.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly asked very standard behavioral questions and asked about my previous experiences.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Timonium, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Timonium, MD

I applied through college or university – interviewed at M&T Bank.

Contacted by college recruiter, met with her. She was very nice and interview was conversational. Then was flown down to Baltimore and did 2 in-person interviews w/ members of the Credit analysis team, and did two phone interviews- one w/ an HR recruiter, and the other with the head of the credit team. Overall interview wasn't difficult. They kept asking if I had any questions.

MDP Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank in October 2013.

I applied to M&T through my campus career center. I had an initial interview with one guy for 30 minutes that was strictly behavioral. We hit it off pretty well and he asked me a lot of specific questions about my resume and experiences. The interview was pretty easy.

I received a notification about two weeks later stating that they would like to fly me to Buffalo (their headquarters) to see their offices and conduct final interviews. They sent me a list of about 18 different groups within the bank and descriptions of the work. They had me order my top five and were able to schedule my interview with my second choice, Bankwide Transformation.

In Buffalo, I went to a lunch with two current MDPs and three other applicants. It was very informal, and they answered any questions about the bank, the program, and the city of Buffalo. I had a 30 minute interview with an HR rep and two 30 minute interviews with members of the group I was interviewing with. All of these interviews didn't seem all that much like they were interviewing me as much as a sales pitch to work for the company and the group. Everybody I talked to tried to sell me on Buffalo, specifically. Definitely come prepared with questions to ask everybody you interview with because after they ask you 1-2 questions they open it up and expect you to ask questions. Everybody I encountered was very nice. My one complaint is that in both buildings I went to, neither receptionist offered me a beverage. It's usually a nice touch.

The MDP program consists of ten weeks of company-wide training. A lot of it is personal development type stuff which is cool. The other cool part is that the class of 80 MDPs is really encouraged to bond over company social events. There's even a retreat. Seems like an awesome program. Bankwide Transformation seemed very cool as well. Deals with large-scale projects for the bank. They offered 3 weeks paid vacation which was nice in addition to all of the bank holidays. The salary was about $48,000. They said they worked about 50 hours a week and left their work at the office which was nice. At the end of the day, M&T is what it is, a conservative bank. If that sounds like something you may be interested it, then this will be a great, fun opportunity for you.

Interview Questions

I would've accepted this position if I didn't have any other comparable options, and I think I would've been happy there. That being said, I had another opportunity that was in a much better city and paid much better. Buffalo is a tough place to draw talent.

MDP Interview

interviewed at M&T Bank in October 2013.

The interview and hiring process was relatively easy. I applied through my school's career database and had an on-campus interview. Afterward, I was flown to the location of my proposed position where I had a more intense interview to see if I could fill the position. It wasn't bad though as they were just making sure that I made the qualifications and would perform the job well.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was specifically too difficult. All of the questions were fit questions and asking about myself.   Answer Question

MDP Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at M&T Bank.

Very Straightforward interview style. Professional and friendly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

On campus intereview. General resume questions. Second round in Baltimore with 3 differetn executuves. Offered made shortly after.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank in December 2011.

Initial 30 minute on-campus interview. Went fairly well and conversational.

After 10 days, I was offered a on-site interview at the headquarters in Buffalo, NY. The office visit consisted of 4 half-hour interviews (3 in-person and 1 phone). Overall, the interviews were relatively easy. Questions ranged from general interview questions to behavioral questions. The whole process was finished by noon and followed by lunch with a former MDP, which was informal and very helpful.

The bank seemed well managed with great down-to-earth people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at M&T Bank in November 2011.

First round on campus with a VP. Second round was a full day in Buffalo with a handful of people from my division and HR, as well as a lunch with current MDPs. Also did a third round of phone interviews with managers. Questions were straightforward. They want to make sure you know M&T and will be OK to relocate.

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate. The bank is generous in relocation assistance (e.g. relocation bonus, relocation adviser, realtor).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at M&T Bank in October 2011.

The interview process gave me a good sense of how the MDP will be trained at M&T Bank. I had a nice interaction with the interviewer, but he looked quite bored with what I said so my advice to future candidates: be prepared and know a lot about M&T Bank and tell interesting stories.

Interview Questions
    • Why M&T Bank? Why are you interested in the program that you have chosen?   Answer Question