M&T Bank

Updated Nov 9, 2014

2.5

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Management Development Program Trainee Interview

Interviewed through on campus recruiting at my college. Mostly sat there while the interviewer talked about the history of the company and what they do with the community. Didn't ask me many questions.

Other Interview Reviews for M&T Bank

Management Development Program Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank.

Applied through my university and interviewed on campus about two weeks later. Interviewer was from their headquarters in Buffalo and was fairly strange/rude. Asked some pretty general fit questions and focused on specific parts of my resume. Asked what role I wanted to fill within the company - marketing, strategy, etc. Make sure you know something about M&T Bank and their operations. The program is also at their headquarters in Buffalo, NY so make sure you're okay with that before applying.

Management Development Program Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at M&T Bank.

I applied via campus recruiting. This was a very painless process and a good company. He just asked me very general questions such as "why banking?" After that, I was invited to go to Buffalo -- all expenses paid. The biggest problem is that they give you a list of positions that are available and you have to quickly choose which you are interested in before it is filled.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poughkeepsie, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank.

On campus interview followed by an on site interview in buffalo. They were very generous with the travel and hotel. I met with 5 people while I was there, but most of them had no interest in meeting with me. Be prepared to talk about why you want to move to buffalo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at M&T Bank in January 2014.

I applied for the position on my school's website and was immediately given a phone interview after a quick resume and cover letter drop in application. The position was in NY although they made it seem like they had openings all over the mid-atlantic because that is where they have offices but the management training program was limited in locations.

Interview Questions
    • What is something different about our bank (i.e.-what it is that M&T Bank does that is different than others)   View Answer

Management Development Program Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at M&T Bank.

Applied through my university's career services website, resume only. The next day I received an email saying I was accepted for an interview. Interview process was relaxed, comfortable and enjoyable. I was asked questions about my resume, a few behavioral questions, why M&T, and what I hoped to do with the program.

Interview Questions

Decided to take another offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university – interviewed at M&T Bank in October 2013.

I first interviewed with M&T Bank at my university's campus. At first, I wasn't sure if the position was right for me but the interviewer and I really connected and I was moved to the second round. The second round consisted of a full day of interviews at the bank's headquarters office. I had three separate interviews with the employees there and, unfortunately, didn't connect with any of them. Bank is very conservative and based on tradition. Even if I received an offer, I don't think the program would have been right for me.

Interview Questions
    • If you could have any dream job, regardless of experience, what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank.

I originally applied through my school. I had a first round interview on campus with a previous Management Development Program Trainee. He was very nice and asked me a series of behavioral questions. During the interview, I was asked to fill out a sheet indicating which groups within M&T I would be interested in. At the end of the interview, he told me on the spot that I would be moving on to the next round. About a month later, I was contacted by HR to schedule a superday in M&T's Buffalo offices. After scheduling the interview, I was flown out to Buffalo and put up in a really cushy hotel. For the superday, I had around 7 interviews with 2 different groups. Everyone was extremely friendly and spoke very highly of M&T. I was given an offer a few days after my superday.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a few probability questions. I was also tested on my regression skills.   Answer Question

Unfortunately, the salary was a little too low for me to consider relocating to Buffalo, NY.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at M&T Bank in March 2013.

The interview process was very straightforward and professional. I had my first round interview on my college campus, which consisted of 20 or so minutes of conversational/behavioral questions related to fit, my interest in M&T, as well as my interest in the specific MDP position I was applying for (Employee Operations).
    For the second round, I was flown out to Buffalo for a day of interviews in the M&T office with various HR executives. Again, very pleasant experience. I never felt intimidated nor that my interviewers were trying to stump me. All questions were ones I had expected (e.g., Tell me about a time you had to take a leadership role in a group setting; Why do you think you would be a good addition to our team?).

Interview Questions
    • "What was the most complex data analysis you've ever had to do?"   View Answer

I received another similar offer around the same time for a company located in my favorite city (and with somewhat better pay, though M&T's offer is fairly competitive).

Management Development Program Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at M&T Bank.

Met with an on campus recruiter for first round interview. I was asked many standard questions: tell me about yourself, why M&T... That all went well but when I started to ask questions I had about the specifics of the training program, she hardly knew anything about it. This was a little frustrating for me and reflected poorly on M&T, the conversation which had been moving very well became awkward quickly as she had nothing to say. I was invited for a second round interview, but declined as I had received another offer