M&T Bank Management Development Program Trainee Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2014

2.5

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Management Development Program Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at M&T Bank.

I applied via campus recruiting. This was a very painless process and a good company. He just asked me very general questions such as "why banking?" After that, I was invited to go to Buffalo -- all expenses paid. The biggest problem is that they give you a list of positions that are available and you have to quickly choose which you are interested in before it is filled.

Other Interview Reviews for M&T Bank

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at M&T Bank in January 2014.

I applied for the position on my school's website and was immediately given a phone interview after a quick resume and cover letter drop in application. The position was in NY although they made it seem like they had openings all over the mid-atlantic because that is where they have offices but the management training program was limited in locations.

Interview Questions
    • What is something different about our bank (i.e.-what it is that M&T Bank does that is different than others)   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at M&T Bank in November 2011.

First round on campus with retail sales manager based in Baltimore. Second round was in Buffalo, based on the groups I expressed an interest in during my first-round. Met with 4-5 mid-level mangers for 30 minutes each, most of which asked behavioral questions about my interest in M&T, banking, and college extracurricular activities.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate. I don't think it's possible, but it's worth exploring, particularly for those who are in the mid-Atlantic regions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university - interviewed at M&T Bank in October 2013.

I first interviewed with M&T Bank at my university's campus. At first, I wasn't sure if the position was right for me but the interviewer and I really connected and I was moved to the second round. The second round consisted of a full day of interviews at the bank's headquarters office. I had three separate interviews with the employees there and, unfortunately, didn't connect with any of them. Bank is very conservative and based on tradition. Even if I received an offer, I don't think the program would have been right for me.

Interview Questions
    • If you could have any dream job, regardless of experience, what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Poughkeepsie, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poughkeepsie, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at M&T Bank.

On campus interview followed by an on site interview in buffalo. They were very generous with the travel and hotel. I met with 5 people while I was there, but most of them had no interest in meeting with me. Be prepared to talk about why you want to move to buffalo

Management Development Program Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at M&T Bank.

Applied through my university's career services website, resume only. The next day I received an email saying I was accepted for an interview. Interview process was relaxed, comfortable and enjoyable. I was asked questions about my resume, a few behavioral questions, why M&T, and what I hoped to do with the program.

Interview Questions

Decided to take another offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at M&T Bank in January 2013.

Initial interview on-campus with a recruiter - general questions regarding my academics, extracurricular activities, etc. Gave a rundown of the program's organization and objectives before opening it to questions.

Interviewed again by phone with a different person, similar questions but nothing out of the ordinary. Called back for an on-site interview: M&T booked a flight and hotel for me, took me around to a couple different team members. Big warning sign came up when I realized all the people I interacted with were Buffalo natives; nobody had left the city (or had come back soon after college).

Questions broke down depending on the interviewer: one was more concerned with my thoughts on the current economic climate, another with my personal skills. The final interviewer was more interested in hearing my thoughts on the interview process (obviously to lull me into saying something stupid) and gave some good advice about balancing work-life.

Interview Questions
    • "What's the most difficult challenge facing the banking industry in the next couple years"   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at M&T Bank in March 2013.

The interview process was very straightforward and professional. I had my first round interview on my college campus, which consisted of 20 or so minutes of conversational/behavioral questions related to fit, my interest in M&T, as well as my interest in the specific MDP position I was applying for (Employee Operations).
    For the second round, I was flown out to Buffalo for a day of interviews in the M&T office with various HR executives. Again, very pleasant experience. I never felt intimidated nor that my interviewers were trying to stump me. All questions were ones I had expected (e.g., Tell me about a time you had to take a leadership role in a group setting; Why do you think you would be a good addition to our team?).

Interview Questions
    • "What was the most complex data analysis you've ever had to do?"   View Answer

I received another similar offer around the same time for a company located in my favorite city (and with somewhat better pay, though M&T's offer is fairly competitive).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at M&T Bank.

I originally applied through my school. I had a first round interview on campus with a previous Management Development Program Trainee. He was very nice and asked me a series of behavioral questions. During the interview, I was asked to fill out a sheet indicating which groups within M&T I would be interested in. At the end of the interview, he told me on the spot that I would be moving on to the next round. About a month later, I was contacted by HR to schedule a superday in M&T's Buffalo offices. After scheduling the interview, I was flown out to Buffalo and put up in a really cushy hotel. For the superday, I had around 7 interviews with 2 different groups. Everyone was extremely friendly and spoke very highly of M&T. I was given an offer a few days after my superday.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a few probability questions. I was also tested on my regression skills.   Answer Question

Unfortunately, the salary was a little too low for me to consider relocating to Buffalo, NY.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at M&T Bank in December 2012.

Began with a 30-min on-campus interview with a Commercial Real Estate banking officer from NY. Two weeks later, I was invited for an in-house interview. I had 9 interviews in a row (3 with one department and 5 in another - 1 is over the phone -, 1 with HR). Most of the interviews were behavioral, but be prepared to know about M&T and competitors. Also, impress them by knowing ALL about M&T Bank, from its history to all its mergers. My interviews were on Friday and I received an offer on Monday (unexpectedly soon!)

Interview Questions

Worked for M&T Bank? Contribute to the Community!