MAC Cosmetics

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2014.

Interview Details – Came in for an event and they loved my look and makeup and offered me an interview. Came in with my model and she asked for a day time look with winged eye and red lips. i did a full face and used atleast 3 products on each feature.

Interview Question – On the spot Demo no questions no warning jus action... still in the process   Answer Question

Baton Rouge, LA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in October 2013.

Interview Details – 3 Part Interview:
1 on 1 Interview with Store Manager. Brush up on history and play up on customer service
Model: Showcase you skills. You will be given a look to recreate
Phone Interview with District Manager

Interview Question – Basic Interview Questions: Why you want to work for MAC, Experience, Customer Service Questions and History and Back to MAC and Viva Glam involvement   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artist

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in September 2013.

Interview Details – One group interview. Met with several managers at once. I was interviewed by a manager that was particularly interested in having me work at her specific location. Interview lasted about 5-10 minutes. We were asked to wait outside as they evaluated us and decided whether we'd move on to the next round, which consisted of makeup application. I moved on to the next round and was asked to do a winged eye and perfect red lip on a model (we were asked to bring our own. I didn't have anyone so I borrowed someone else's model). Overall the interview process was very positive! Everyone was pretty friendly and encouraging. I felt welcomed. It took about a week or a little longer for me to get a call back offering me a freelancer position, which I accepted. It then took about 4-7 weeks to receive my employee number and start working.

Interview Question – Can you sell this MAC product to me right now?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Freelance Makeup Artist

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in November 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was held at a job fair and was a 1:1 meeting with a Recruiter Second interview was scheduled a week later and consisted of two segments: group interview and makeup demo.

Interview Question – How would you sell red lipstick to a customer who came to purchase a different item?   View Answer

Aventura, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in September 2012.

Interview Details – I was hired through a Job fair and my best advise i can give is dress the part a lot of people were dressed in jeans and flip flops not a very good first impression go dressed like you already work for them all back trendy and stylish.

Interview Question – Do you use MAC products?   View Answer

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in January 2012.

Interview Details – I meet with the Manager of Retail Operations, she asked me who my favorite makeup artists were, why I thought I would be a good canidate to work at MAC, she asked me if I knew color theory, what I would do if the person who I just did their makeup did not like it.

Interview Question – Do you have anymore questions for me?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered to go on another interview for a 20 hour position at SAKs but I was going on vacation with my family so I couldn't take it. Looking back I wish I just would have taken that interview, because I wasn't able to go on another interview when I got back, instead I was hired as a freelance makeup artist and it took me 5 months to find another job with more hours.

Tracy, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in December 2011.

Interview Details – There was a group interview with about 15 candidates. We went into a room and talked about MAC. There were a few questions that were asked but nothing too difficult. You had to make an effort to say something. Then we were asked to do a makeup application on a model. We were given a scenario and 30 minutes to complete the look. After we completed the look we were critiqued and sent back into a room where we were told if we were hired or not.

Interview Question – What makes MAC stand out above the other companies?   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in October 2010.

Interview Details – First time I had to bring a model and create on her a day look in 15 minutes and after this using just 3 eyeshadows to transform this look in a night look ( eyeshadows: red, blue, green). Then they asked me to explain all the products I used, for what and I really highly recommend to clean the station after you are done. :) Smile and talk to your model as much as you can, explain every product you apply on the skin and which brush you are using...

Interview Questions

Cincinnati, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in September 2009.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by counter manager, the trainer, then the district Manager, lastly had to do a demonstration on a model. I was schedule to interview with the dm manager as well, but something came up and she could not conduct the phone interview. I feel that it was mostly bs to interview this many times. At the end of the day, a company knows if they want to hire you or not. You will be asked to bring a model and will have to do a makeup application, you may get to do your model, or may have to switch with another interviewee.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – their is no negotiation..they pretty much tell you this is what we start a freelance artist off at.

Freelance Makeup Artist

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview Details – Each interviewee had to bring a model to do a demo on. The first half of the interview was a group one. Each interviewee had a chance to answer the questions given by the 5 people on the panel. The second half of the interview consisted of live demonstration of makeup application by each interviewee on the model that they brought in. Only about 20-30 minutes is given for the demonstration.

Interviews for Top Jobs at MAC Cosmetics

Worked for MAC Cosmetics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MAC Cosmetics Freelance Makeup Artist interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by MAC Cosmetics employees and interview candidates.