MAC Cosmetics Freelance Makeup Artist Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Did a group interview more 1 on 1 but next to other ppl. Passed the verbal and came back same day few hours later for makeover. I was told beforehand to have a model on standby and bring brushes. After a few hours we came back at scheduled time and switched up models and did a day look with a transition to night. The model I thought I was doing became someone else's model. They switched em on us to see our comfort level. They told the models what to tell us although we didn't know that at first. Every artist in the company had a different tryout. They switch it up so your never prepared of what to expect. We had 30 min from start to finish to get makeup and apply a full face of day to night. Each artist had a manger stand next to em and watch like a hawk. Other mangers walked around to watch and grade. They look at your application, techniques, your area needs to be clean and no double dipping products! Be prepared to work when you pull the makeup at start time get EVERYTHING at once so your not running around back and fourth. They watch to see your thought process of how prepared you can get in a crunch time.

Interview Questions

• What is Viva Glam for MAC?   1 Answer
  • What does M.A.C stand for?   1 Answer
  • What's the difference between NC and NW?   2 Answers
  • Who started MAC and where did it start?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No its $14 for for your on call hours. If you do special events it's $15 an hour.

Other Interview Reviews for MAC Cosmetics

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Richmond, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very laid back and comfortable. The manager and one other employee was present. They started by reviewing the two different types of Freelance Artist categories. Tier 1 freelancers have been with the company for a little while, they always show up on time, are eager and ready to do anything that is thrown at them, and they always dress well. These are the freelancers that mainly get called. A Tier 2 freelancer is someone that has just been hired, an employee that does not always answer their phone to work, does not accept offer to work, or they are not reliable at the counter. Tier 2 freelances get the leftover hours from the Tier 1s. They then asked me a series of interview questions, none about the history, though you should definitely know it, and then she immediately said she wanted to schedule the second demo interview. ONE TIP: ABSOLUTELY KNOW WHAT CLIENTELE YOUR SPECIFIC COUNTER CATERS TO!!!! IF YOU HAVE A COUNTER THAT MAINLY SELLS TO OLDER, CAREER WOMEN GO IN WITH THE BEST NEUTRAL SMOKEY EYE YOU CAN DO AND HAVE THE MOST IMMACULATE FACE ON! DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GO IN WITH SOME CRAZY GREEN AND BLUE OR RIDICULOUSLY DARK SMOKEY EYE AND RED LIPS IF THAT IS NOT THE MAKEUP YOUR COUNTER DOES ON A DAILY BASIS!!! The demo interview was about a month after my initial interview due to the availability of the Regional Trainer. I was told to bring a model and to bring my brushes and that I will have 30 minutes to complete a look. This was standard so I was ramped up and ready to go. I brought my mom and the trainer told us we had 30 minutes to do a work look that was beautiful and blended and most of all natural looking. She told us absolutely no Instagram brows! We had a few minutes to gather our products from the counter but it wasn't timed. The brushes were actually provided and we only had 5, which of course weren't the 5 I needed but they wanted to see how well we'd work with what we got. She then skimmed through sanitation and then we began. I took the time to make sure my model was holding the mirror, though without her glasses she couldn't see, but it was still important that she was holding it so she could look at what I was doing. There was also one bottle of alcohol to share between myself and the other girl doing her demo interview. I made sure also that I was explaining everything I was doing and not including too much small talk. I was nervous as heck of course but you have to be confident the entire time. The other girl interviewing was just chatting on and on about nonsense... Don't do this... I made sure I was finished two minutes before the allotted 30 minute time limit and the trainer told me to wait for the other girl to finish. She finished 5 minutes over the time limit... again, don't do this. After we were both finished we cleaned up our stations then the trainer tweaked our looks. She lined outside of my model's lips, which my model wasn't happy about, and the trainer was ok with that but added it to show the model what it would look like. Once we had both been critiqued the trainer pulled us aside individually and told us what she thought. She was absolutely amazing and told me how well I did and that I was exactly what this counter was missing. I almost died... She said she'd tell the counter manager what she thought and that I'd be hearing from the manager soon. About a week later I got a call from the manager and she said that the trainer was so impressed by me! SHE OFFERED ME A PART TIME POSITION AND LET ME PICK FROM 24, 20, OR 15 HOURS! I took the 20 hours because I'm only available 4 days out of the week BUT I AM SO EXCITED!!!

Interview Questions

• If you could pick a team of your own to work at your own personal counter, what qualities would you look for in the people that you hire?   Answer Question
    • What makeup experience do you have?   Answer Question
    • How did you resolve a conflict with a coworker?   Answer Question
    • How did you handle a rude customer?   Answer Question
    • What would you say to persuade a customer, to pick a better item, that has picked out a product that will not suit them?   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Applied in person by dropping off my resume to the location's manager. Checked in once. Had the verbal interview then the practical interview two weeks later. Please show up in black with hair and makeup done and be nice to those interviewing in the group round with you.

Interview Questions

• Who is your favorite Makeup Artist and why?   1 Answer
    • What trends in cosmetics are you seeing for the coming up season?   Answer Question
    • What are complementary colors? How well do you know the color wheel?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you have led a team.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had a disgruntled customer and how you salvaged the relationship.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (New Haven, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

Very positive, non-judge mental, encouraging and appropriate to the position I was applying for. The first step was to demonstrate my skills and how I would interact with clients. The second part of the interview was verbal. The questions were challenging because they require self awareness in knowing your strengths and the areas you want to improve upon.

Interview Questions

• What are my strengths?   1 Answer
    • What would I like to improve upon?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Of course, we all want more. We have to keep a realistic view of matters, we may be skilled but there is so much to working retail cosmetics than just knowing how to apply makeup. First and foremost, I didn't bring up, I waited for the manager interviewing me to first....offer me a position on her team and second for her to bring up rate of pay. So, when asked what I had in mind for $$ I turned it on her and asked what do you typically start people with my experience with? And took it from there. I was surprised at the offer it was a little lower than what I wanted to accept, but I kept in that I still had a lot to learn for the position I was applying for. I also kept in mind the potential for growth within the company. For me it was also about doing what I love, more than the money.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

I went in to buy a lipstick and asked if they were hiring. She said they are always hiring freelancers (they rarely hire new part time/full time employees, but promote from within). She asked me to come in the next day with my resume and asked a couple questions: why MAC?, why beauty the field?, what do you think everyday responsibilities would be?. She then scheduled me for a demo. After the demo, she critiqued me and scheduled my last demo/interview with another manager at a different location. Same process and I was offered the job the day of my second interview.

Negotiation

No negotiations because I liked the offer.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in November 2014.

Interview

I sent my resume to one of the recruiters. I was asked to come in for an interview. The interview would be combined with makeup demonstration as well.

Interview Questions

• Speaking to my 'model' while applying the makeup. Its easy to get caught up in applying the makeup. You have to keep speaking, as if an actual customer was in your chair. Be prepared to answer product and application related questions. The names of products, what they do, how much they cost. You are also judged on sanitation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked my desired hourly rate, what location, and what schedule would suit me best.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in October 2014.

Interview

Went to the job fair at the W hotel on Oct 2. Nailed it Got the second Interview Oct 3 Models were changed at the last minute. My model had a great outcome. But the email came Oct 17 and well i was not chosen. Next time no job fair but great experience.

Interview Questions

• None were difficult what was difficult was trying to find the shade and having someone next to me use my sanitized station that i had set up. when i returned with the make up she was using it as if i just did not sanitize it for myself.. annoyed me and wasted more time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Brooklyn, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Came in for an event and they loved my look and makeup and offered me an interview. Came in with my model and she asked for a day time look with winged eye and red lips. i did a full face and used atleast 3 products on each feature.

Interview Questions

• On the spot Demo no questions no warning jus action... still in the process   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2014.

Interview

Two in person interviews, one demo. Work environment is unguided and cloudy, as a freelance artist you are not taught anything - just supposed to inherently "know". Always working past scheduled hours, over time is nice on Sundays. Hard to move up in the company. It's all who you're friends with in management, and if you make the wrong impression right off the bat, you're screwed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Orlando, FL) in April 2014.

Interview

I found an add online for a job fair in my area, so I sent my resume and cover letter. I got an email back telling me to come to the job fair with the date and time. I dressed in all black with my hair/ makeup fully done. I waited around for about 2 hours until it was finally my turn. They were very friendly and asked me why I wanted to work for MAC, to rate my artistry skills, sales skills, ect. Then they said they wanted me to come back for a makeup interview with a model and my own brushes. I came back a week later for a makeup interview at the training center with my model and they had us switch models. So I ended up doing someone else model for my interview. They give you one focus feature (eyes, lips, skin, ect.) and you have to investigate what your "client" wants and do it for them. All of the managers circled around and watched you do the makeup which was a little nerve wrecking, and then once time is up they ask you about what you did and they ask your model how they liked it. A few weeks later I got a call back offering me the job as a free lance makeup artist.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a difficult customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question