MAC Cosmetics Freelance Makeup Artist Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2015

2.9

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Applied in person by dropping off my resume to the location's manager. Checked in once. Had the verbal interview then the practical interview two weeks later. Please show up in black with hair and makeup done and be nice to those interviewing in the group round with you.

Interview Questions

• Who is your favorite Makeup Artist and why?   1 Answer
  • What trends in cosmetics are you seeing for the coming up season?   Answer Question
  • What are complementary colors? How well do you know the color wheel?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you have led a team.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time you had a disgruntled customer and how you salvaged the relationship.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MAC Cosmetics

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

I went in to buy a lipstick and asked if they were hiring. She said they are always hiring freelancers (they rarely hire new part time/full time employees, but promote from within). She asked me to come in the next day with my resume and asked a couple questions: why MAC?, why beauty the field?, what do you think everyday responsibilities would be?. She then scheduled me for a demo. After the demo, she critiqued me and scheduled my last demo/interview with another manager at a different location. Same process and I was offered the job the day of my second interview.

Negotiation

No negotiations because I liked the offer.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in November 2014.

Interview

I sent my resume to one of the recruiters. I was asked to come in for an interview. The interview would be combined with makeup demonstration as well.

Interview Questions

• Speaking to my 'model' while applying the makeup. Its easy to get caught up in applying the makeup. You have to keep speaking, as if an actual customer was in your chair. Be prepared to answer product and application related questions. The names of products, what they do, how much they cost. You are also judged on sanitation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked my desired hourly rate, what location, and what schedule would suit me best.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in October 2014.

Interview

Went to the job fair at the W hotel on Oct 2. Nailed it Got the second Interview Oct 3
    Models were changed at the last minute.

My model had a great outcome. But the email came Oct 17 and well i was not chosen.
    Next time no job fair but great experience.

Interview Questions

• None were difficult what was difficult was trying to find the shade and having someone next to me use my sanitized station that i had set up. when i returned with the make up she was using it as if i just did not sanitize it for myself.. annoyed me and wasted more time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Brooklyn, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Came in for an event and they loved my look and makeup and offered me an interview. Came in with my model and she asked for a day time look with winged eye and red lips. i did a full face and used atleast 3 products on each feature.

Interview Questions

• On the spot Demo no questions no warning jus action... still in the process   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2014.

Interview

Two in person interviews, one demo. Work environment is unguided and cloudy, as a freelance artist you are not taught anything - just supposed to inherently "know". Always working past scheduled hours, over time is nice on Sundays. Hard to move up in the company. It's all who you're friends with in management, and if you make the wrong impression right off the bat, you're screwed.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in November 2013.

Interview

First interview was held at a job fair and was a 1:1 meeting with a Recruiter Second interview was scheduled a week later and consisted of two segments: group interview and makeup demo.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell red lipstick to a customer who came to purchase a different item?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Baton Rouge, LA) in October 2013.

Interview

3 Part Interview:
    1 on 1 Interview with Store Manager. Brush up on history and play up on customer service
    Model: Showcase you skills. You will be given a look to recreate
    Phone Interview with District Manager

Interview Questions

• Basic Interview Questions: Why you want to work for MAC, Experience, Customer Service Questions and History and Back to MAC and Viva Glam involvement   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in September 2013.

Interview

One group interview. Met with several managers at once. I was interviewed by a manager that was particularly interested in having me work at her specific location. Interview lasted about 5-10 minutes. We were asked to wait outside as they evaluated us and decided whether we'd move on to the next round, which consisted of makeup application. I moved on to the next round and was asked to do a winged eye and perfect red lip on a model (we were asked to bring our own. I didn't have anyone so I borrowed someone else's model). Overall the interview process was very positive! Everyone was pretty friendly and encouraging. I felt welcomed. It took about a week or a little longer for me to get a call back offering me a freelancer position, which I accepted. It then took about 4-7 weeks to receive my employee number and start working.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Aventura, FL) in September 2012.

Interview

I was hired through a Job fair and my best advise i can give is dress the part a lot of people were dressed in jeans and flip flops not a very good first impression go dressed like you already work for them all back trendy and stylish.