MAC Cosmetics

Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.9

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

I went in to buy a lipstick and asked if they were hiring. She said they are always hiring freelancers (they rarely hire new part time/full time employees, but promote from within). She asked me to come in the next day with my resume and asked a couple questions: why MAC?, why beauty the field?, what do you think everyday responsibilities would be?. She then scheduled me for a demo. After the demo, she critiqued me and scheduled my last demo/interview with another manager at a different location. Same process and I was offered the job the day of my second interview.

No negotiations because I liked the offer.

Other Interview Reviews for MAC Cosmetics

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in November 2014.

I sent my resume to one of the recruiters. I was asked to come in for an interview. The interview would be combined with makeup demonstration as well.

Interview Questions
    • Speaking to my 'model' while applying the makeup. Its easy to get caught up in applying the makeup. You have to keep speaking, as if an actual customer was in your chair. Be prepared to answer product and application related questions. The names of products, what they do, how much they cost. You are also judged on sanitation.   Answer Question
    I was asked my desired hourly rate, what location, and what schedule would suit me best.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in October 2014.

Went to the job fair at the W hotel on Oct 2. Nailed it Got the second Interview Oct 3
    Models were changed at the last minute.

My model had a great outcome. But the email came Oct 17 and well i was not chosen.
    Next time no job fair but great experience.

Interview Questions
    • None were difficult what was difficult was trying to find the shade and having someone next to me use my sanitized station that i had set up. when i returned with the make up she was using it as if i just did not sanitize it for myself.. annoyed me and wasted more time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2014.

Came in for an event and they loved my look and makeup and offered me an interview. Came in with my model and she asked for a day time look with winged eye and red lips. i did a full face and used atleast 3 products on each feature.

Interview Questions
    • On the spot Demo no questions no warning jus action... still in the process   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in November 2013.

First interview was held at a job fair and was a 1:1 meeting with a Recruiter Second interview was scheduled a week later and consisted of two segments: group interview and makeup demo.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell red lipstick to a customer who came to purchase a different item?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in October 2013.

3 Part Interview:
    1 on 1 Interview with Store Manager. Brush up on history and play up on customer service
    Model: Showcase you skills. You will be given a look to recreate
    Phone Interview with District Manager

Interview Questions
    • Basic Interview Questions: Why you want to work for MAC, Experience, Customer Service Questions and History and Back to MAC and Viva Glam involvement   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in September 2013.

One group interview. Met with several managers at once. I was interviewed by a manager that was particularly interested in having me work at her specific location. Interview lasted about 5-10 minutes. We were asked to wait outside as they evaluated us and decided whether we'd move on to the next round, which consisted of makeup application. I moved on to the next round and was asked to do a winged eye and perfect red lip on a model (we were asked to bring our own. I didn't have anyone so I borrowed someone else's model). Overall the interview process was very positive! Everyone was pretty friendly and encouraging. I felt welcomed. It took about a week or a little longer for me to get a call back offering me a freelancer position, which I accepted. It then took about 4-7 weeks to receive my employee number and start working.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in September 2012.

I was hired through a Job fair and my best advise i can give is dress the part a lot of people were dressed in jeans and flip flops not a very good first impression go dressed like you already work for them all back trendy and stylish.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in January 2012.

I meet with the Manager of Retail Operations, she asked me who my favorite makeup artists were, why I thought I would be a good canidate to work at MAC, she asked me if I knew color theory, what I would do if the person who I just did their makeup did not like it.

Interview Questions
    I was offered to go on another interview for a 20 hour position at SAKs but I was going on vacation with my family so I couldn't take it. Looking back I wish I just would have taken that interview, because I wasn't able to go on another interview when I got back, instead I was hired as a freelance makeup artist and it took me 5 months to find another job with more hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in December 2011.

There was a group interview with about 15 candidates. We went into a room and talked about MAC. There were a few questions that were asked but nothing too difficult. You had to make an effort to say something. Then we were asked to do a makeup application on a model. We were given a scenario and 30 minutes to complete the look. After we completed the look we were critiqued and sent back into a room where we were told if we were hired or not.