MAC Cosmetics Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015
Updated Mar 22, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

I felt like the interview process was pretty exstensive. I went through two interviews and a demo.
    The first time I met with four people, second interview was with five. Lots of questions about makeup, MAC, myself(past present & future) and current trends. Wore all black of course, my two interviews were scheduled within a week of each other, got the call back for the offer two weeks later for full time artist.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Applied in person by dropping off my resume to the location's manager. Checked in once. Had the verbal interview then the practical interview two weeks later. Please show up in black with hair and makeup done and be nice to those interviewing in the group round with you.

Interview Questions
    • Who is your favorite Makeup Artist and why?   View Answer
    • What trends in cosmetics are you seeing for the coming up season?   Answer Question
    • What are complementary colors? How well do you know the color wheel?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you have led a team.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had a disgruntled customer and how you salvaged the relationship.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in February 2015.

The 1st interview was a meet and greet witch lasted 5-10 minutes, and from there you will get a second interview witch is the makeup application. Where you bring a model, they switch your model, and you only get 30 minutes. And the last interview is about if u can work holidays and what not.

Artist Interview

If you want to interview with this company its very simple! make sure you look the part and have a good personality. All black no exceptions. MAC is a fashion forward company so you must have some sense of fashion and what is hot right now. DO YOUR RESEARCH!! know everything there is to know about the company, if you act and dress the part the title and the pay will be given to you. look up current makeup trends and create one of those looks. DO NOT over do it and don't over do it. have just enough to impress you interviewer. BE OPEN TO FEEDBACK! if you are not open to feedback and take everything personal don't even apply for the job. hope this helps all aspiring makeup artists.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

I went in to buy a lipstick and asked if they were hiring. She said they are always hiring freelancers (they rarely hire new part time/full time employees, but promote from within). She asked me to come in the next day with my resume and asked a couple questions: why MAC?, why beauty the field?, what do you think everyday responsibilities would be?. She then scheduled me for a demo. After the demo, she critiqued me and scheduled my last demo/interview with another manager at a different location. Same process and I was offered the job the day of my second interview.

No negotiations because I liked the offer.

Makeup Artist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

I found out about it through a job website, they were having a career event. The interview process for me is always an easy thing but preparing for it was horrible. M.A.C. really forces you to learn all of their information and know it as well as you know your name while interviewing. A lot of the details can be easily forgotten when you are getting interviewed so really make sure you know your stuff. Also they seem to enjoy men who apply and any woman that has a bubbly personality, smile be confident and sell yourself.

Interview Questions
    • What separates you from all the other applicants, why should we hire you and not them? (group interview)   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in November 2014.

I sent my resume to one of the recruiters. I was asked to come in for an interview. The interview would be combined with makeup demonstration as well.

Interview Questions
    • Speaking to my 'model' while applying the makeup. Its easy to get caught up in applying the makeup. You have to keep speaking, as if an actual customer was in your chair. Be prepared to answer product and application related questions. The names of products, what they do, how much they cost. You are also judged on sanitation.   Answer Question
    I was asked my desired hourly rate, what location, and what schedule would suit me best.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in November 2014.

Very short, didn't really talk much or ask me questions. I came in wearing all black with my hair and makeup done. I didn't have my portfolio on me so she wouldn't continue with the interview.
    I called her back that week with my portfolio to send but she didn't return my call.

Makeup Artist Interview

I went to several group interviews and learned a lot about the company. After meeting the counter manager several times, she gave me an interview. There was a second interview where you demonstrate how you apply product on a friend. Questions are expected - company knowledge is helpful.

I did not negotiate

Manager of Retail Operations Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

In person interview. Discussion of market, and readiness for the position.The process is quite lengthy a few hours was required to really go over My action plan, as well as discussed my management style.

Interview Questions
    • Whatever you deducted as this markets biggest opportunity?   Answer Question