MAC Cosmetics Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

I had to go back several times but overall the process was pretty easy. I was asked to come in and see the manager. then i was asked to come in for a second interview with a model. then i was asked to stop a random customer and give them a makeover.

MAC Artist Freelance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Oklahoma City, OK).

Interview

My interview was very laid-back but professional. It was brief. I interviewed with the store manager of a MAC within a mall. The interview was held in mall near the store.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell [insert object]? What do you know about the company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Atlanta, GA) in August 2015.

Interview

I received a call that I had gotten an interview 2 months after I had applied. She brief be on what I needed for the makeover portion. When I got to the interview I was prepared with both my resume and portfolio and prepared to answer any questions but we just went straight to the makeup test. They made me switch models with other interviewee and Gave 5 minutes to grab products and 25 minutes to do models face. They gave us critiques and 10 extra minutes to fix any mistakes.

Interview Questions

• Do you see anything wrong that you feel needs to be fixed?   1 Answer

Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (King of Prussia, PA) in July 2015.

Interview

I went to the counter in person to hand in my resume (I have retail experience and I am a certified makeup artist). The manager was SO nice and cool. Asked me right on the spot why MAC and not another cosmetics company. Be prepared before you go in because you never know what they might ask you that could sway them towards calling you for an interview! I was told that she would give me a call during the next week to set up an interview. By Thursday I hadn't heard anything so I called to follow-up. She said that they were super busy and she thanked me for following up and that she would call me back later on. She called back and scheduled my first interview. That went great. She had another third key sit in on the interview and they were honestly both so amazing and nice. They made me feel super comfortable and stressed the fact that their team was like a family which I absolutely loved. The next week they called me back for a makeup interview. They had a trainer come down who was SO nice and again made me feel really comfortable. She started out by asking me the same questions like why MAC? and a couple other questions about my resume. Then she told me that she wanted to see a really soft, complete natural look. I had 45 minutes to investigate, gather my products and complete the look (which really equates to 30 minutes to do the application), Throughout the time, she was really coaching me and giving me tips/little facts about the brushes and products which I found super helpful. Remember to practice sanitary techniques and talk to the client about what you are doing/why you are doing it/why you chose the products you did. After I was done, she told the manager that I was good to go and I had an interview with the regional manager in store directly following the makeup interview. She was also really welcoming and kind. She asked me about my resume and availability and questions about MAC (nothing on history though). Once I answered all of her questions, her and the trainer offered me a permanent position!! I have to wait for the official call, which I should be receiving this week. If you relax, go in with confidence, and show how much you want the job, it will help immensely. It's ok to show excitement. The staff wants to see that you love the brand/products.

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Killeen, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Killeen, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

It was pretty straight forward. The interview was held at a hotel because the store wasn't finished yet. At least 40 girls were there when I arrived (an hour early). This was a career call type interview, so it was open to whoever showed up. They had a sign in sheet and paper applications for you to bring in along with your resume and portfolio if you had one (I had mine loaded on my phone but was so nervous that I forgot to even show her). There were three people conducting interviews and they would come out and call people on the list. It was a little annoying because you are in one room with three other people who are all talking at the same time, and the more nervous girls were VERY loud, I had a hard time hearing myself think. I was interviewed by the recruiter for the area and she was super sweet. She asked me a few questions like why MAC, what experience do I have, and how I would handle a situation where someone was unhappy with the makeup I did. Also, I don't know if the other interviewers asked, but I wasn't asked anything about the company more than "why MAC" and when I said the culture she asked me what the culture was. So I didn't get grilled on the owners or the history at all. Afterward she asked if I had any questions for her and then invited me to the second portion, the makeup demo. The makeup demo was fun and terrifying. There were 11 people doing makeup on 11 clients at the same time. Of course they had you bring a model and of course they switched them so you were working on a stranger. They brought all of the artists in first and taught us basic sanitizing techniques and what they are looking for (more how you interact with your client rather than skill, but they do want to see beautiful faces). While they did that one of the three who did the interviews slipped out and told all of the models that they were to ask for a neutral eye, full coverage foundation, brows, and a bright lip. This is like, my go to so I was so stoked when my 'client' asked for that. I am very experienced in working with makeup and selling at both Sephora and Ulta so the talking to the client bit came really naturally to me. Just keep asking them questions, chatting when you aren't concentrating so hard you go silent (I did that a few times) and having them take peeks. Be sure to hand them that mirror! And always get their permission before you touch their face with your hands. They prefer that you don't at MAC but I like getting that verbal if there is something that just won't blend and needs a little help. They had a selection of products in the tiny room for you to use and you were expected to bring your own clean brushes. Now, I just moved here and EVERYTHING was in storage and I panicked. I literally only had about 6 brushes that I use every day and was stressed that they were looking for a 'professional' set or something, definitely don't worry about that. They had us select the products we needed, putting creams and liquids in a little petri dish. I sanitized everything straight away just to make sure it was done and to save time but I ended up re-sanitizing everything during the demo to make sure they saw me doing it (in case someone didn't see me in the beginning). We had 30 minutes and I felt that that was a good amount of time. My model was sweet and reminded me that I forgot mascara (I had finished with a minute to spare and was freaking out). After they took pictures of us with our models and said they would be giving us a call by Tuesday if we made it (this was on a Thursday). If we didn't receive a call we were to try again. There was a second round of people for the demos waiting when we left. I got a call from the recruiter who interviewed me on Monday and she offered me a part time retail artist position (not full time but a step above freelance!). I go in to do paper work on Wednesday and then basic training in August :D

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a client who was unhappy with their makeup and the only clues you had were their body language? How would you avoid that situation entirely?   1 Answer
    • Why MAC?   1 Answer

Full Time Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Houston, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

There were 70 girls that can out for the first interview. Out of 70, 22 got called back for makeup application. Clean brushes were needed. Out of 22 only eight were hired 4 full time 4 part time. I got a full time position

Interview Questions

• Why MAC   1 Answer
    • What foundation are you wearing?? Sell it to me.   1 Answer
    • What do you know about MAC History?   1 Answer
    • What is your favorite MAC Product? MAC HISTORY Founders:Frank Toskan and Frank Angelo Founded in 1984 Chemist: Vic Casale Launched: First retail store in 1991 as Makeup Art Cosmetics Russian Red: was originally created for Madonna during her 1990 Blonde Ambition tour. She needed a red lipstick to last the whole concert. Estée Lauder: In 1995 purchased a percentage of MAC and in 1998 acquired the remaining parts of the company.   1 Answer
    • What is your Favorite MAC product?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offered 15.50 an hour but I was currently making 17 at Smashbox so they met the wages.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Did a group interview more 1 on 1 but next to other ppl. Passed the verbal and came back same day few hours later for makeover. I was told beforehand to have a model on standby and bring brushes. After a few hours we came back at scheduled time and switched up models and did a day look with a transition to night. The model I thought I was doing became someone else's model. They switched em on us to see our comfort level. They told the models what to tell us although we didn't know that at first. Every artist in the company had a different tryout. They switch it up so your never prepared of what to expect. We had 30 min from start to finish to get makeup and apply a full face of day to night. Each artist had a manger stand next to em and watch like a hawk. Other mangers walked around to watch and grade. They look at your application, techniques, your area needs to be clean and no double dipping products! Be prepared to work when you pull the makeup at start time get EVERYTHING at once so your not running around back and fourth. They watch to see your thought process of how prepared you can get in a crunch time.

Interview Questions

• What is Viva Glam for MAC?   1 Answer
    • What does M.A.C stand for?   1 Answer
    • What's the difference between NC and NW?   2 Answers
    • Who started MAC and where did it start?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No its $14 for for your on call hours. If you do special events it's $15 an hour.

Interview

My interview was a one on one interview with a manager at the corporate office. During my interview, there were other one on one interviews going on in the same room. If you passed the verbal interview, you were invited back to do the makeup interview/demo the following day. The makeup demo was held at a nearby mall at one of the MAC counters.

Interview Questions

• What are the current trends?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Richmond, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very laid back and comfortable. The manager and one other employee was present. They started by reviewing the two different types of Freelance Artist categories. Tier 1 freelancers have been with the company for a little while, they always show up on time, are eager and ready to do anything that is thrown at them, and they always dress well. These are the freelancers that mainly get called. A Tier 2 freelancer is someone that has just been hired, an employee that does not always answer their phone to work, does not accept offer to work, or they are not reliable at the counter. Tier 2 freelances get the leftover hours from the Tier 1s. They then asked me a series of interview questions, none about the history, though you should definitely know it, and then she immediately said she wanted to schedule the second demo interview. ONE TIP: ABSOLUTELY KNOW WHAT CLIENTELE YOUR SPECIFIC COUNTER CATERS TO!!!! IF YOU HAVE A COUNTER THAT MAINLY SELLS TO OLDER, CAREER WOMEN GO IN WITH THE BEST NEUTRAL SMOKEY EYE YOU CAN DO AND HAVE THE MOST IMMACULATE FACE ON! DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GO IN WITH SOME CRAZY GREEN AND BLUE OR RIDICULOUSLY DARK SMOKEY EYE AND RED LIPS IF THAT IS NOT THE MAKEUP YOUR COUNTER DOES ON A DAILY BASIS!!! The demo interview was about a month after my initial interview due to the availability of the Regional Trainer. I was told to bring a model and to bring my brushes and that I will have 30 minutes to complete a look. This was standard so I was ramped up and ready to go. I brought my mom and the trainer told us we had 30 minutes to do a work look that was beautiful and blended and most of all natural looking. She told us absolutely no Instagram brows! We had a few minutes to gather our products from the counter but it wasn't timed. The brushes were actually provided and we only had 5, which of course weren't the 5 I needed but they wanted to see how well we'd work with what we got. She then skimmed through sanitation and then we began. I took the time to make sure my model was holding the mirror, though without her glasses she couldn't see, but it was still important that she was holding it so she could look at what I was doing. There was also one bottle of alcohol to share between myself and the other girl doing her demo interview. I made sure also that I was explaining everything I was doing and not including too much small talk. I was nervous as heck of course but you have to be confident the entire time. The other girl interviewing was just chatting on and on about nonsense... Don't do this... I made sure I was finished two minutes before the allotted 30 minute time limit and the trainer told me to wait for the other girl to finish. She finished 5 minutes over the time limit... again, don't do this. After we were both finished we cleaned up our stations then the trainer tweaked our looks. She lined outside of my model's lips, which my model wasn't happy about, and the trainer was ok with that but added it to show the model what it would look like. Once we had both been critiqued the trainer pulled us aside individually and told us what she thought. She was absolutely amazing and told me how well I did and that I was exactly what this counter was missing. I almost died... She said she'd tell the counter manager what she thought and that I'd be hearing from the manager soon. About a week later I got a call from the manager and she said that the trainer was so impressed by me! SHE OFFERED ME A PART TIME POSITION AND LET ME PICK FROM 24, 20, OR 15 HOURS! I took the 20 hours because I'm only available 4 days out of the week BUT I AM SO EXCITED!!!

Interview Questions

• If you could pick a team of your own to work at your own personal counter, what qualities would you look for in the people that you hire?   Answer Question
    • What makeup experience do you have?   Answer Question
    • How did you resolve a conflict with a coworker?   Answer Question
    • How did you handle a rude customer?   Answer Question
    • What would you say to persuade a customer, to pick a better item, that has picked out a product that will not suit them?   Answer Question

Mac Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

I Brought in my Resume and was asked questions right away. They gave me a interview the following week! I studied as much as possible! I wanted to be prepared! I was nervous but it was really easy just basic questions.. Then my 2nd interview was the Makeup test! She told me to grab the things I need to accomplish a look that she gave me! I was really nervous but she was more focused on how I interacted with my model. I was offered a position right away!!