MAC Cosmetics

64 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Third Key Manager Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in January 2010.

Interview Details – Typical makeup questions, 4 interviews, why do you want to work at MAC

Negotiation Details – None negotiable

Orlando, FL

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring & interview process took about a month. I had 3 interviews & the final one resulted in a later call with a job offer. The best advice I could give would be to avoid nerves & let your true personality show.

Interview Question – There was nothing specifically abnormal or difficult.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Just entering the company I didn't negotiate too much. I made an offer that they countered, with a slightly higher offer in pay.

West Portland, OR

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2013.

Interview Details – My interview was super easy, I was already a well known customer so I kind of had a foot in. I feel like it's a lot about who you know. MAC likes to promote from within so they will be more likely to hire someone they are seeing on a regular basis. I had a interview with my counter manager and department manager, and I had an interview with the account executive for MAC, and then one more interview. It took about two weeks and I got an offer!

Interview Question – They just want to know what you know about their brand, nothing too difficult. I think the hardest part might be the makeup interview. They throw you a random scenario and you have a time limit to do the makeup accordingly. My region is very real, none of that superficial MAC stereotype. I made sure I made a mistake on purpose and then showed my customer (model) how to correct the mistake at home without ruining the rest of the makeup, because mistakes happen!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was so excited, was my dream job so I didn't do any negotiating and took the offer as it was.

Makeup Artist

Interviewed at MAC Cosmetics

Interview Details – Fully made up in all black jewelry at a minimum ... I hope I can go very far with this company ! Working fashion week and working with is a dream of mine! No formal training besides self teaching and speaking with other make up artists, and having my make up done at MAC

Interview Question – making sure my make up was flawless   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Freelance Makeup Artist

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in September 2013.

Interview Details – One group interview. Met with several managers at once. I was interviewed by a manager that was particularly interested in having me work at her specific location. Interview lasted about 5-10 minutes. We were asked to wait outside as they evaluated us and decided whether we'd move on to the next round, which consisted of makeup application. I moved on to the next round and was asked to do a winged eye and perfect red lip on a model (we were asked to bring our own. I didn't have anyone so I borrowed someone else's model). Overall the interview process was very positive! Everyone was pretty friendly and encouraging. I felt welcomed. It took about a week or a little longer for me to get a call back offering me a freelancer position, which I accepted. It then took about 4-7 weeks to receive my employee number and start working.

Interview Question – Can you sell this MAC product to me right now?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Freelance Makeup Artist

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in November 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was held at a job fair and was a 1:1 meeting with a Recruiter Second interview was scheduled a week later and consisted of two segments: group interview and makeup demo.

Interview Question – How would you sell red lipstick to a customer who came to purchase a different item?   View Answer

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

Retail Makeup Artist

I applied in-person and interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview Details – If you are hired within a department store, there is usually an interview with the MAC counter manager, the cosmetic department manager and sometimes the MAC counter manager's manager. That is a total of 2-3 interviews followed by a makeup demonstration. If you hired within a MAC store it is usually an interview with the store manager and assistant store manager followed by a makeup demonstration. During the makeup demo, you are asked to bring in a model and do a basic makeup application and then turn it into a night look.

Interview Question – Booking events: You have one day to book a number of events, how will you do it?   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artitst Interview

Freelance Makeup Artitst

I applied in-person - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in November 2010.

Interview Details – Wear black to your interview. know the history of MAC. Be prepared to randomly Select people to do their make-up.

Interview Question – add three more products to the customers face   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None I was paid 13.00 per hour

Cosmetic Business Manager Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in April 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed with the Area Manager, very quick and painless if you have experience. Was mostly told about responsibilities and goal for the counter.

Interview Question – Why should you be the manager over someone that is more seasoned with MAC?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – NO negotiation I was offered 15.50 an hr. plus 3% commission on anything I sold and a half % override on the counters monthly income.

Retail Manager Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview Details – Interviewed with a recruiter, 4 phone interviews, in-person interview and makeup demo, 1 more phone interview, then the offer.

Interview Question – Standardized questions... next 5 years, "how would you handle...", etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My salary requirements were met with the first offer, and i accepted

Interviews for Top Jobs at MAC Cosmetics

Worked for MAC Cosmetics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MAC Cosmetics interview questions and advice. All 64 interview reviews posted anonymously by MAC Cosmetics employees and interview candidates.