MAC Cosmetics

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.9

Artist Interview

If you want to interview with this company its very simple! make sure you look the part and have a good personality. All black no exceptions. MAC is a fashion forward company so you must have some sense of fashion and what is hot right now. DO YOUR RESEARCH!! know everything there is to know about the company, if you act and dress the part the title and the pay will be given to you. look up current makeup trends and create one of those looks. DO NOT over do it and don't over do it. have just enough to impress you interviewer. BE OPEN TO FEEDBACK! if you are not open to feedback and take everything personal don't even apply for the job. hope this helps all aspiring makeup artists.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

I went in to buy a lipstick and asked if they were hiring. She said they are always hiring freelancers (they rarely hire new part time/full time employees, but promote from within). She asked me to come in the next day with my resume and asked a couple questions: why MAC?, why beauty the field?, what do you think everyday responsibilities would be?. She then scheduled me for a demo. After the demo, she critiqued me and scheduled my last demo/interview with another manager at a different location. Same process and I was offered the job the day of my second interview.

No negotiations because I liked the offer.

Makeup Artist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

I found out about it through a job website, they were having a career event. The interview process for me is always an easy thing but preparing for it was horrible. M.A.C. really forces you to learn all of their information and know it as well as you know your name while interviewing. A lot of the details can be easily forgotten when you are getting interviewed so really make sure you know your stuff. Also they seem to enjoy men who apply and any woman that has a bubbly personality, smile be confident and sell yourself.

Interview Questions
    • What separates you from all the other applicants, why should we hire you and not them? (group interview)   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in November 2014.

I sent my resume to one of the recruiters. I was asked to come in for an interview. The interview would be combined with makeup demonstration as well.

Interview Questions
    • Speaking to my 'model' while applying the makeup. Its easy to get caught up in applying the makeup. You have to keep speaking, as if an actual customer was in your chair. Be prepared to answer product and application related questions. The names of products, what they do, how much they cost. You are also judged on sanitation.   Answer Question
    I was asked my desired hourly rate, what location, and what schedule would suit me best.

Makeup Artist Interview

I went to several group interviews and learned a lot about the company. After meeting the counter manager several times, she gave me an interview. There was a second interview where you demonstrate how you apply product on a friend. Questions are expected - company knowledge is helpful.

I did not negotiate

Manager of Retail Operations Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

In person interview. Discussion of market, and readiness for the position.The process is quite lengthy a few hours was required to really go over My action plan, as well as discussed my management style.

Interview Questions
    • Whatever you deducted as this markets biggest opportunity?   Answer Question

Make Up Artist Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

I had 2 interviews with a nordstrom manager. I had 1 interview with the counter manager. I had 3 interviews with Mac management and a full face makeup application demo. It literally took a month plus to get hired. Plus i had to drive three hours to get to the mac management interview- that was in a different state.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't any negotiating.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in October 2014.

Went to the job fair at the W hotel on Oct 2. Nailed it Got the second Interview Oct 3
    Models were changed at the last minute.

My model had a great outcome. But the email came Oct 17 and well i was not chosen.
    Next time no job fair but great experience.

Interview Questions
    • None were difficult what was difficult was trying to find the shade and having someone next to me use my sanitized station that i had set up. when i returned with the make up she was using it as if i just did not sanitize it for myself.. annoyed me and wasted more time.   Answer Question

Mua Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Saw they were having a job fair online.The interview was what I expected and prepared for, however I was still very nervous. Make sure you know something about the company. Sell yourself! Bring a portfolio (I didn't have one) if you have it. I said that I really wanted someone to give me a chance. I got called back for the 2nd interview which was the next day. I brung a model and yes, they did switch models on us. The interview process was at a hotel. So the products they brung were limited and we had to share. If you find yourself in this situation, pick your eye shadows first. Get your foundation last. They will critique you at the end. Make sure you tell them what you would have done if you had more time. They said they would call if they were interested in a week. It's been about 4 days. No word yet

Makeup Artist Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Had a makeup demo and a sit down group interview all in one day. Was given 30 minutes to pick out products for model and to put on a natural day time look given the situation of the model. Sit down interview was less than 20 minutes was asked to describe myself, what I was wearing on my face, favorite MAC product and why I would like to work for the company. Overall it was an amazing process and I'm glad to have gotten an interview with the company I would love to work for.