MAC Cosmetics Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2014
74 interviews

2.8

MAC Makeup Artist Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in July 2014.

First, I had a one-on-one interview with store manager. All went smoothly and it was fairly quick. Right after, the manager set me up for a second interview for a makeup demo for that same week. The makeup demo was timed for 30 minutes and I was being interviewed with another girl. I finished the demo a few minutes early because I already knew what look I was going for and what products I wanted. After the demo was over, the manager pulled me aside from my model and the other girl being interviewed and basically reviewed how everything went. She told me I did an amazing job and that I passed. I felt like I was floating on a cloud haha. She also told me what she loved and what I could've done better. I was then told that I will be receiving a call for my last one-on-one. I waited about 2 weeks to receive the call and fortunately did not have to do the final one-on-one interview, instead she skipped that step and offered me a Freelance position. I obviously took it! I should be getting the Permanent position in about 3 months. Overall, the hiring process went very well! There are a couple of important key things to keep in mind; wear makeup! (You're probably like "duh" but you'd be surprised!) *Wear all black professional clothing *Have your resume in hand always *Be confident *Be yourself, I cannot stress that enough *Do your research *Do not let your nerves show. If you do not get the job on your first try please don't give up, keep trying! I wish you all the best of luck on your journey! <3

Makeup Artist Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Had a makeup demo and a sit down group interview all in one day. Was given 30 minutes to pick out products for model and to put on a natural day time look given the situation of the model. Sit down interview was less than 20 minutes was asked to describe myself, what I was wearing on my face, favorite MAC product and why I would like to work for the company. Overall it was an amazing process and I'm glad to have gotten an interview with the company I would love to work for.

Part-time/Freelance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter, given her card after a brief talk about my makeup and passion for it. She looked around and found an open position at a nearby mall and encouraged me to go and speak to the manager. I called the counter and set up a time to introduce myself to the manager. On that day I arrived in all black, hair and makeup done, with resume in hand. What I had assumed was to be a quick introduction turned into an interview. This made me a bit more nervous than before but we talked and she asked me back for the second stage interview which I will have tomorrow.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question for me was "What all do you know about M.A.C?" this was hard for me because I had done my homework, but was very nervous about the interview so I fumbled a bit.   View Answers (3)
    I just accepted the offer to come back in for a makeup application. I have not yet been offered the position.

Makeup Artist Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

There will be at least 3 interviews. 1 with the retail manager, 1 makeup interview you will need a model for and 1 with the MRO (district manager), If you apply through Craigs List then the Regional recruiter will contact you if they were interested in your resume then schedule a group interview or a one on one interview. Then if you passed you will be forwarded to a Retail Manager if you pass that then they will call you to schedule a makeup interview. It will be timed and there will be a specific scenario you will have to apply. Don't go doing some crazy elaborate looks they just want to see how you listen to the customer and know the basics of makeup. A prime look is ideal (natural and clean).

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions just all about selling and how I plan to make my personal goals. They want to know your past experience in sales especially retail sales and how were you successful.   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artist/On Call Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2014.

Verbal interview: The longest and most emphasized of the interview process. The panel of recruiters asked the ladies with retail/customer service experience a majority of the questions. Questions about their job, how it could help them work at MAC, their experiences etc. Their focus was on if you are able to sell.

Makeup interview: 7 minutes to talk to your "client" and collect products. 20-25 minutes to do a makeover. Scenario was our client works in an office, doesn't wear much makeup, and is going to a nighttime wedding. She also wants some of the products to use at work. The panel circles around so I made sure to keep a flow of conversation and explain what I'm using and why. Also, made sure to mention Viva Glam and how it works to my client. At the end the panel critiques your look, asks your model what she learned/how she likes it, and tells you to clean up your station. At the beginning, one of the recruiters demonstrated how to sanitize the products (Place products on tissues, spray down tissue to wipe off lipstick, use tissue to wipe down powders/eyeshadows, use wands, no double dipping, etc.) and informed us to have the client hold up the mirror while you apply.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a customer asking about a moisturizer, but you didn't know about it, how would you go about getting that knowledge?   View Answer

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2014.

Came in for an event and they loved my look and makeup and offered me an interview. Came in with my model and she asked for a day time look with winged eye and red lips. i did a full face and used atleast 3 products on each feature.

Interview Questions
    • On the spot Demo no questions no warning jus action... still in the process   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

so i went inside asked for an application & left a resume . they called the same day for an interview next week since it was already the weekend they asked pretty easy and general questions like my strengths & weakness and tell me about yourself. i sat with all of the managers they were friendly

Retail Makeup Artist/Freelance Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in May 2014.

Got an app from another MAC because the store I was applying for didn't have any copies. Went in to drop the app off but to my surprise I was interviewed on the spot! Luckily, I was dresses in all black & my makeup was flawless. The interview was short & sweet. They were really nice & very approachable but maintained their professionalism. After the interview, I was told I would be hearing from them & that's when I will be told to bring I'm a model for my makeup demo.

Be confident in yourself. I was nervous & I think it showed so make sure to exude your confidence & don't come off as cocky & as if you know everything. You can always learn &ake room for improvement. Good luck to you all!

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in October 2013.

3 Part Interview:
    1 on 1 Interview with Store Manager. Brush up on history and play up on customer service
    Model: Showcase you skills. You will be given a look to recreate
    Phone Interview with District Manager

Interview Questions
    • Basic Interview Questions: Why you want to work for MAC, Experience, Customer Service Questions and History and Back to MAC and Viva Glam involvement   Answer Question

MAC Artist Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

You have to turn in your resume to a MAC retail manager at any Mac location. Its important that you dress in all black and have your image up to par with current makeup trends. Be prepared to talk about why you'd like to work for MAC, and tell a little bit about yourself. The manager then passes your resume along to a recruiter in which you are contacted for a freelance position. Freelance positions are great, as they are a way to figure out what type of counter or location you'd be good at. During the interview process, its sometimes one on one or group setting. MAC wants to know why you want to work for MAC and about any past experience you've had. Then you go for a makeup demo, day to night time look.

Interview Questions
    you get a starting rate of $16 as a freelancer.

Worked for MAC Cosmetics? Contribute to the Community!