MAC Cosmetics Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2015

Interview

My interview was a one on one interview with a manager at the corporate office. During my interview, there were other one on one interviews going on in the same room. If you passed the verbal interview, you were invited back to do the makeup interview/demo the following day. The makeup demo was held at a nearby mall at one of the MAC counters.

Interview Questions

• What are the current trends?   1 Answer

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Did a group interview more 1 on 1 but next to other ppl. Passed the verbal and came back same day few hours later for makeover. I was told beforehand to have a model on standby and bring brushes. After a few hours we came back at scheduled time and switched up models and did a day look with a transition to night. The model I thought I was doing became someone else's model. They switched em on us to see our comfort level. They told the models what to tell us although we didn't know that at first. Every artist in the company had a different tryout. They switch it up so your never prepared of what to expect. We had 30 min from start to finish to get makeup and apply a full face of day to night. Each artist had a manger stand next to em and watch like a hawk. Other mangers walked around to watch and grade. They look at your application, techniques, your area needs to be clean and no double dipping products! Be prepared to work when you pull the makeup at start time get EVERYTHING at once so your not running around back and fourth. They watch to see your thought process of how prepared you can get in a crunch time.

Interview Questions

• What is Viva Glam for MAC?   1 Answer
    • What does M.A.C stand for?   1 Answer
    • What's the difference between NC and NW?   2 Answers
    • Who started MAC and where did it start?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No its $14 for for your on call hours. If you do special events it's $15 an hour.

Mac Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

I Brought in my Resume and was asked questions right away. They gave me a interview the following week! I studied as much as possible! I wanted to be prepared! I was nervous but it was really easy just basic questions.. Then my 2nd interview was the Makeup test! She told me to grab the things I need to accomplish a look that she gave me! I was really nervous but she was more focused on how I interacted with my model. I was offered a position right away!!

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in May 2015.

Interview

I first submitted my resume back in August of 2014. I got a call back to attend a Career Call in December 2014. The Career Call was a group interview plus a makeup application. So I had to bring a model and they gave me a scenario that I had to re-create on her. They wanted to make sure that my brushes were extremely clean, my workstation was sanitary, and I was starting conversation with my model.
    They told me they would get back to me in a week. I didn't hear back from anyone for a month.
    So then they called me in for another interview, this time it was for a face to face with the store manager.
    I didn't hear back from that until April 2015. And they asked me to come in for another group interview. And so a week after that, they asked me to come back in for another make up application on a model. That was yesterday morning and they said they will get back to me sometime this week. I have not heard anything as of yet but I am still hoping and waiting to get the job!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Mac?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if it was slow and there was nobody in the store?   1 Answer
    • What inspired you to do the make up that you're wearing today?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Chevy Chase, MD) in May 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application to the recruiting office on April 20th, I had my 1st interview at the training center on April 22nd and my makeup demo May 1st on one of the Pro Stores. They did not switch my model, thank goodness. After the demo, on the spot, I had my 2nd interview with the Regional Manager, her assistant and the original recruiter I 1st interviewed with. That lasted about 35-40mins. They asked everything from why I want to work for MAC to my favorite product and why to how would I sell my favorite item to a customer that is looking for something else. Overall I think the process was painless and went very well. The only thing is this waiting...I haven't heard anything! I debating if I should call or just accept the fact that maybe the interview didn't go as well as I think it went. I'm still keeping hope alive. I was told to stay optimistic bcuz it takes a while. Heard one story where the process took 9 months for one artist who is now a freelancer with MAC.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for MAC?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about the MAC Social Responsibility?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite MAC product and why?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Malta, MT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Malta, MT) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview went pleasantly enough. The quality of MAC makeup in comparison to other renowned brands came into effect during the interview and my knowledge about MAC. It was posed as a trick question I imagine in retrospect but my enthusiasm convinced them that I love MAC.

Interview Questions

• How to reach a minimum specified amount of sales in one day.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Nashville, TN) in April 2015.

Interview

It was definitely a long process because I have my resume to many different counters. It took a couple of months. I did not get the position I applied for but was offered the freelance position.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Applied in person by dropping off my resume to the location's manager. Checked in once. Had the verbal interview then the practical interview two weeks later. Please show up in black with hair and makeup done and be nice to those interviewing in the group round with you.

Interview Questions

• Who is your favorite Makeup Artist and why?   1 Answer
    • What trends in cosmetics are you seeing for the coming up season?   Answer Question
    • What are complementary colors? How well do you know the color wheel?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you have led a team.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had a disgruntled customer and how you salvaged the relationship.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (New York, NY).

Interview

I felt like the interview process was pretty exstensive. I went through two interviews and a demo.
    The first time I met with four people, second interview was with five. Lots of questions about makeup, MAC, myself(past present & future) and current trends. Wore all black of course, my two interviews were scheduled within a week of each other, got the call back for the offer two weeks later for full time artist.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (New Haven, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

Very positive, non-judge mental, encouraging and appropriate to the position I was applying for. The first step was to demonstrate my skills and how I would interact with clients. The second part of the interview was verbal. The questions were challenging because they require self awareness in knowing your strengths and the areas you want to improve upon.

Interview Questions

• What are my strengths?   1 Answer
    • What would I like to improve upon?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Of course, we all want more. We have to keep a realistic view of matters, we may be skilled but there is so much to working retail cosmetics than just knowing how to apply makeup. First and foremost, I didn't bring up, I waited for the manager interviewing me to first....offer me a position on her team and second for her to bring up rate of pay. So, when asked what I had in mind for $$ I turned it on her and asked what do you typically start people with my experience with? And took it from there. I was surprised at the offer it was a little lower than what I wanted to accept, but I kept in that I still had a lot to learn for the position I was applying for. I also kept in mind the potential for growth within the company. For me it was also about doing what I love, more than the money.