MAC Cosmetics Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

Makeup Artist Interview

Interview

I went to several group interviews and learned a lot about the company. After meeting the counter manager several times, she gave me an interview. There was a second interview where you demonstrate how you apply product on a friend. Questions are expected - company knowledge is helpful.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

In person interview. Discussion of market, and readiness for the position.The process is quite lengthy a few hours was required to really go over My action plan, as well as discussed my management style.

Interview Questions

• Whatever you deducted as this markets biggest opportunity?   Answer Question

Make Up Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

I had 2 interviews with a nordstrom manager. I had 1 interview with the counter manager. I had 3 interviews with Mac management and a full face makeup application demo. It literally took a month plus to get hired. Plus i had to drive three hours to get to the mac management interview- that was in a different state.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiating.

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in October 2014.

Interview

Went to the job fair at the W hotel on Oct 2. Nailed it Got the second Interview Oct 3
    Models were changed at the last minute.

My model had a great outcome. But the email came Oct 17 and well i was not chosen.
    Next time no job fair but great experience.

Interview Questions

• None were difficult what was difficult was trying to find the shade and having someone next to me use my sanitized station that i had set up. when i returned with the make up she was using it as if i just did not sanitize it for myself.. annoyed me and wasted more time.   Answer Question

Mua Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Saw they were having a job fair online.The interview was what I expected and prepared for, however I was still very nervous. Make sure you know something about the company. Sell yourself! Bring a portfolio (I didn't have one) if you have it. I said that I really wanted someone to give me a chance. I got called back for the 2nd interview which was the next day. I brung a model and yes, they did switch models on us. The interview process was at a hotel. So the products they brung were limited and we had to share. If you find yourself in this situation, pick your eye shadows first. Get your foundation last. They will critique you at the end. Make sure you tell them what you would have done if you had more time. They said they would call if they were interested in a week. It's been about 4 days. No word yet

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for MAC   1 Answer
    • What can you offer MAC?   1 Answer
    • What's your favorite product from MAC? (They will then ask you to sell that product)   Answer Question
    • What do you know about MAC?   Answer Question

Retail Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

The company prefers promotion from within. Posting for other locations often is encouraged and are published twice a week. Career calls are often utilized to recruit from outside the brand.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you know about MAC? Why do you want to/ work for MAC?   1 Answer

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Had a makeup demo and a sit down group interview all in one day. Was given 30 minutes to pick out products for model and to put on a natural day time look given the situation of the model. Sit down interview was less than 20 minutes was asked to describe myself, what I was wearing on my face, favorite MAC product and why I would like to work for the company. Overall it was an amazing process and I'm glad to have gotten an interview with the company I would love to work for.

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

There will be at least 3 interviews. 1 with the retail manager, 1 makeup interview you will need a model for and 1 with the MRO (district manager), If you apply through Craigs List then the Regional recruiter will contact you if they were interested in your resume then schedule a group interview or a one on one interview. Then if you passed you will be forwarded to a Retail Manager if you pass that then they will call you to schedule a makeup interview. It will be timed and there will be a specific scenario you will have to apply. Don't go doing some crazy elaborate looks they just want to see how you listen to the customer and know the basics of makeup. A prime look is ideal (natural and clean).

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions just all about selling and how I plan to make my personal goals. They want to know your past experience in sales especially retail sales and how were you successful.   Answer Question

MAC Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in July 2014.

Interview

First, I had a one-on-one interview with store manager. All went smoothly and it was fairly quick. Right after, the manager set me up for a second interview for a makeup demo for that same week. The makeup demo was timed for 30 minutes and I was being interviewed with another girl. I finished the demo a few minutes early because I already knew what look I was going for and what products I wanted. After the demo was over, the manager pulled me aside from my model and the other girl being interviewed and basically reviewed how everything went. She told me I did an amazing job and that I passed. I felt like I was floating on a cloud haha. She also told me what she loved and what I could've done better. I was then told that I will be receiving a call for my last one-on-one. I waited about 2 weeks to receive the call and fortunately did not have to do the final one-on-one interview, instead she skipped that step and offered me a Freelance position. I obviously took it! I should be getting the Permanent position in about 3 months. Overall, the hiring process went very well! There are a couple of important key things to keep in mind; wear makeup! (You're probably like "duh" but you'd be surprised!) *Wear all black professional clothing *Have your resume in hand always *Be confident *Be yourself, I cannot stress that enough *Do your research *Do not let your nerves show. If you do not get the job on your first try please don't give up, keep trying! I wish you all the best of luck on your journey! <3

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

I brought a friend with me to the first interview I did and had to treat her like a customer. I had to show her items she was looking for that I thought would be good for her. I had to then apply the makeup to her face and I had 20 minutes to do so.

Interview Questions

• What I knew about MAC and why I wanted to work for MAC   1 Answer