MAC Cosmetics Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Applied in person by dropping off my resume to the location's manager. Checked in once. Had the verbal interview then the practical interview two weeks later. Please show up in black with hair and makeup done and be nice to those interviewing in the group round with you.

Interview Questions

• Who is your favorite Makeup Artist and why?   1 Answer
    • What trends in cosmetics are you seeing for the coming up season?   Answer Question
    • What are complementary colors? How well do you know the color wheel?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you have led a team.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had a disgruntled customer and how you salvaged the relationship.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (New York, NY).

Interview

I felt like the interview process was pretty exstensive. I went through two interviews and a demo. The first time I met with four people, second interview was with five. Lots of questions about makeup, MAC, myself(past present & future) and current trends. Wore all black of course, my two interviews were scheduled within a week of each other, got the call back for the offer two weeks later for full time artist.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (New Haven, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

Very positive, non-judge mental, encouraging and appropriate to the position I was applying for. The first step was to demonstrate my skills and how I would interact with clients. The second part of the interview was verbal. The questions were challenging because they require self awareness in knowing your strengths and the areas you want to improve upon.

Interview Questions

• What are my strengths?   1 Answer
    • What would I like to improve upon?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Of course, we all want more. We have to keep a realistic view of matters, we may be skilled but there is so much to working retail cosmetics than just knowing how to apply makeup. First and foremost, I didn't bring up, I waited for the manager interviewing me to first....offer me a position on her team and second for her to bring up rate of pay. So, when asked what I had in mind for $$ I turned it on her and asked what do you typically start people with my experience with? And took it from there. I was surprised at the offer it was a little lower than what I wanted to accept, but I kept in that I still had a lot to learn for the position I was applying for. I also kept in mind the potential for growth within the company. For me it was also about doing what I love, more than the money.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The 1st interview was a meet and greet witch lasted 5-10 minutes, and from there you will get a second interview witch is the makeup application. Where you bring a model, they switch your model, and you only get 30 minutes. And the last interview is about if u can work holidays and what not.

Freelance Makeup Artitst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was very was very clear cut ,but the recruiter made me very comfortable. We focused on work history and artistry. Having a portfolio is a big boost and being able to give product descriptions is also important. Shallow answers will not impress, make sure you do your research and have some know how about sales, marketing, and cosmetics of course.

Artist Interview

Interview

If you want to interview with this company its very simple! make sure you look the part and have a good personality. All black no exceptions. MAC is a fashion forward company so you must have some sense of fashion and what is hot right now. DO YOUR RESEARCH!! know everything there is to know about the company, if you act and dress the part the title and the pay will be given to you. look up current makeup trends and create one of those looks. DO NOT over do it and don't over do it. have just enough to impress you interviewer. BE OPEN TO FEEDBACK! if you are not open to feedback and take everything personal don't even apply for the job. hope this helps all aspiring makeup artists.

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

I went in to buy a lipstick and asked if they were hiring. She said they are always hiring freelancers (they rarely hire new part time/full time employees, but promote from within). She asked me to come in the next day with my resume and asked a couple questions: why MAC?, why beauty the field?, what do you think everyday responsibilities would be?. She then scheduled me for a demo. After the demo, she critiqued me and scheduled my last demo/interview with another manager at a different location. Same process and I was offered the job the day of my second interview.

Negotiation

No negotiations because I liked the offer.

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

I found out about it through a job website, they were having a career event. The interview process for me is always an easy thing but preparing for it was horrible. M.A.C. really forces you to learn all of their information and know it as well as you know your name while interviewing. A lot of the details can be easily forgotten when you are getting interviewed so really make sure you know your stuff. Also they seem to enjoy men who apply and any woman that has a bubbly personality, smile be confident and sell yourself.

Interview Questions

• What separates you from all the other applicants, why should we hire you and not them? (group interview)   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in November 2014.

Interview

I sent my resume to one of the recruiters. I was asked to come in for an interview. The interview would be combined with makeup demonstration as well.

Interview Questions

• Speaking to my 'model' while applying the makeup. Its easy to get caught up in applying the makeup. You have to keep speaking, as if an actual customer was in your chair. Be prepared to answer product and application related questions. The names of products, what they do, how much they cost. You are also judged on sanitation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked my desired hourly rate, what location, and what schedule would suit me best.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2014.

Interview

Very short, didn't really talk much or ask me questions. I came in wearing all black with my hair and makeup done. I didn't have my portfolio on me so she wouldn't continue with the interview. I called her back that week with my portfolio to send but she didn't return my call.