MAC Cosmetics

Very Easy Interview

? Interview

?
Jacksonville, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 months - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in April 2013.

Interview Details – I went to a Job Fair and was very appalled at the disorganization and wait time which was over 30 minutes. The person who interviewed me me was the recruiter for the region and she was very poorly dressed, had no visible makeup on and was very on edge. She asked me minimal questions regarding makeup and was totally unprofessional. I rated myself a 5 on a scale of 1-5 in regards to makeup artistry and she patronizingly and sarcastically made a comment about me needing to be a national mua for MAC. Nothing was made clear in the interview because she was totally incompetent. I had no idea what position I was even interviewing for and she failed to tell me background information about the company. I can't even recall her introducing herself to me. It took two weeks for this person to get back to me. After two emails and two phone calls, I was told that although I had impressive qualifications and background (recent cosmetology grad, years of retail experience and a makeup portfolio), that someone else met their requirements. I've heard MAC doesn't hire those with a cosmetics education but I'm puzzled as to what exactly their company stands and looks for. After all this time, energy and money wasted, I of course wanted to file a complaint. I then called the MAC store that initially referred me to the regional recruiter and was hung up on by an assistant manager when I asked for corporate upper management's contact info.
Prior to those experiences, I had a makeup demo with an in store trainer set up by a counter manager that was interested in me for freelance and he totally fabricated what occurred. He seemed to be more interested with playing with his nifty, new little iPad than paying attention to a prospective MAC employee. I have never been more blatantly disrespected and treated more rudely.

Interview Question – A waste of time and couldn't even get a word in and she seemed to want to know more about negative experiences than anything else pertaining to the positions that may have been open.   View Answer

Full Time Artist Interview

Full Time Artist
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in October 2012.

Interview Details – Asked to submit resume and bring a model to the interview.
They asked all atttendees to do a 'day look' in about 30 minutes, and then change it into a night look in about 15 min. You will not be doing the model that you brought with you.

Interview Question – Foundation matching is difficult, be very familiar with the shades. The counter that I interviewed at did not have many of the foundations I wanted to use (all the testers were empty) so be ready to adapt.
Trust your instinct. After choosing a foundation for my model, the manager came over and told me to use another. It couldn't have been more wrong. Fortunately for me, she understood that it was her mistake entirely
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, you get what you get.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2010.

Interview Details – They do a makeup interview to see your skills. And if you know about the company. They want to know your selling skills and in you work well under pressure.

Interview Question – They do a lot of role playing so be prepared for that. Know about the company. On your makeup application interview be very clean and sanitary copy face chart to the T. Manage your time well too.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really a negotiation more like you get what you get.

Makeup Artist

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in February 2013.

Interview Details – I went to a Cosmetics Career Fair, found out through friend and it was also on Craigslist (look out for them, ladies;p) Waited in the longest line ever-took about three hours. Sat down with the hiring manager, she asked me the typical questions "Why M.A.C? What do you know about our company? What is your availability?" It took a total of 5 minutes. She loved me and invited me back for a group interview and makeup demo. Gave me the application to fill out and the M.A.C invite to come back.

Came back the next day. Had a group interview, it SUCKED ...... for me at least. They went around one by one asked us to introduce ourselves. Then if we wanted permanent part-time or freelance. Then asked what inspired our Makeup look that we had on. It was an hour long.

We went on to the Makeup Demo. They switched models on us and asked us to ask them what makes them feel beautiful and to apply that Makeup look on our "customer". We had 30 minutes. And that is that. Told us if we got the job, they would call us back within a week.

Pretty much, they don't care if you can apply makeup or not. They want to know if you can sell. So, my advice is to fake it and sell yourself. And I am saying that truthfully. I didn't fake it and I did an amazing job on the makeup, and didn't get a call. I also gave my model some really great makeup tips. Moral of this story, FAKE it! Act like you can sell their products and blah blah blah. You'll be trained to do makeup anyways.

Interview Question – What inspired my makeup look.   Answer Question

Marketing Administrator Interview

Marketing Administrator

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview Details – Very organized and people were very professional and friendly

Interview Question – Compare brands .. And relate brands to MAC   Answer Question

MAC Cosmetics Retail Interview

MAC Cosmetics Retail
Fremont, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in November 2012.

Interview Details – I walked in with my resume and asked for the Manager. On the spot she asked me a few questions about the company.

Interview Question – "What is your favorite product"   View Answer

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

Freelance Makeup Artist
Aventura, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in September 2012.

Interview Details – I was hired through a Job fair and my best advise i can give is dress the part a lot of people were dressed in jeans and flip flops not a very good first impression go dressed like you already work for them all back trendy and stylish.

Interview Question – Do you use MAC products?   View Answer

Wichita, KS

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2011.

Interview Details – Replied to an add on Craigslist. I received an email back, saying they would like to interview me, then another with the time. They had three managers interviewing a person at the same time. After your interview, you were given time to apply makeup to a model. I heard that they usually have a "look" they like you to do, but they just wanted an evening-to-day look. Boring.

Interview Question – Nothing unusual about the interview. Just be prepared to tell them you can sell stuff and that you keep up with fashions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wasn't offered the full position, but the on call position. By the time they finally got back to me with the paper work about it, I had taken a full time position and didn't have time to be on call, even if I could turn down the call.

Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in February 2009.

Interview Details – Went through three interviews. One makeup applicatioin, a sit down with the manager, and a phone interview with the regional manager.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult for me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there wasn't one but it took a long time like a month before my paperwork was complete and I was able to start working.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in October 2008.

Interview Details – Met with counter manager. Scheduled interview. After approval to move on, met and interviewed by regional district manager. After passed that, did a demo from a magazine tear out on my friend who acted as my model. Had to be very professional, talking to model as well as doing makeup in prestine manner, had to practice clean and sanitary counter practices throughout and talk up brand, VIVA Glam Aids fund, Back to MAC program, company and artistry. Show a PASSION for the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – It was easy and we talked about how many hours a week I'd work and my schedule. I chose evenings and Saturdays and Sundays, as you HAVE to work weekend in retail no if's, and's or but's about it!