MAC Cosmetics

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.9

Makeup Artist Interview

Fully made up in all black jewelry at a minimum ... I hope I can go very far with this company ! Working fashion week and working with is a dream of mine! No formal training besides self teaching and speaking with other make up artists, and having my make up done at MAC

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person – interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in March 2014.

Meet with Store Managers, then district training manager, then mock/timed makeup application. The First interview was easy going asked all the expected questions in customer service. The second interview was at another location with the district manger whom was extremely rude and late to meeting. The makeup application was was going and allowed you to show talent.

Interview Questions

The hiring process was so long and tedious.

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

If you are hired within a department store, there is usually an interview with the MAC counter manager, the cosmetic department manager and sometimes the MAC counter manager's manager. That is a total of 2-3 interviews followed by a makeup demonstration. If you hired within a MAC store it is usually an interview with the store manager and assistant store manager followed by a makeup demonstration. During the makeup demo, you are asked to bring in a model and do a basic makeup application and then turn it into a night look.

Interview Questions
    • Booking events: You have one day to book a number of events, how will you do it?   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in November 2013.

First interview was held at a job fair and was a 1:1 meeting with a Recruiter Second interview was scheduled a week later and consisted of two segments: group interview and makeup demo.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell red lipstick to a customer who came to purchase a different item?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in October 2013.

3 Part Interview:
    1 on 1 Interview with Store Manager. Brush up on history and play up on customer service
    Model: Showcase you skills. You will be given a look to recreate
    Phone Interview with District Manager

Interview Questions
    • Basic Interview Questions: Why you want to work for MAC, Experience, Customer Service Questions and History and Back to MAC and Viva Glam involvement   Answer Question

Freelance Makeup Artist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in September 2013.

One group interview. Met with several managers at once. I was interviewed by a manager that was particularly interested in having me work at her specific location. Interview lasted about 5-10 minutes. We were asked to wait outside as they evaluated us and decided whether we'd move on to the next round, which consisted of makeup application. I moved on to the next round and was asked to do a winged eye and perfect red lip on a model (we were asked to bring our own. I didn't have anyone so I borrowed someone else's model). Overall the interview process was very positive! Everyone was pretty friendly and encouraging. I felt welcomed. It took about a week or a little longer for me to get a call back offering me a freelancer position, which I accepted. It then took about 4-7 weeks to receive my employee number and start working.

No negotiation.

Retail Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interviewed with a recruiter, 4 phone interviews, in-person interview and makeup demo, 1 more phone interview, then the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Standardized questions... next 5 years, "how would you handle...", etc   Answer Question
    My salary requirements were met with the first offer, and i accepted

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Portland, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2013.

My interview was super easy, I was already a well known customer so I kind of had a foot in. I feel like it's a lot about who you know. MAC likes to promote from within so they will be more likely to hire someone they are seeing on a regular basis. I had a interview with my counter manager and department manager, and I had an interview with the account executive for MAC, and then one more interview. It took about two weeks and I got an offer!

Interview Questions
    • They just want to know what you know about their brand, nothing too difficult. I think the hardest part might be the makeup interview. They throw you a random scenario and you have a time limit to do the makeup accordingly. My region is very real, none of that superficial MAC stereotype. I made sure I made a mistake on purpose and then showed my customer (model) how to correct the mistake at home without ruining the rest of the makeup, because mistakes happen!   View Answer
    I was so excited, was my dream job so I didn't do any negotiating and took the offer as it was.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2013.

The hiring & interview process took about a month. I had 3 interviews & the final one resulted in a later call with a job offer. The best advice I could give would be to avoid nerves & let your true personality show.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing specifically abnormal or difficult.   View Answer
    Just entering the company I didn't negotiate too much. I made an offer that they countered, with a slightly higher offer in pay.

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

I applied at a MAC Counter inside of a Macy's. The mgr called me back and asked me to come in for an interview. At the end of that interview I was asked if I would like to have a 2nd interview. This would be the makeup demo, I was given a face chart and told that I would have 30 minutes recreate the look. After the 2nd interview I was unsure because I did not feel that I did my best considering how nervous I was. About two days later I received a call back for one more 3rd interview with the regional manager the next week. I went to the interview which was very short and quick. I received a call the same day and was offered a perm position!

Interview Questions
    There is not any negotiations.