MAC Cosmetics Makeup Artist Interview Questions

Updated Mar 1, 2015
Updated Mar 1, 2015

2.9

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (New York, NY).

Interview

I felt like the interview process was pretty exstensive. I went through two interviews and a demo.
The first time I met with four people, second interview was with five. Lots of questions about makeup, MAC, myself(past present & future) and current trends. Wore all black of course, my two interviews were scheduled within a week of each other, got the call back for the offer two weeks later for full time artist.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for MAC Cosmetics

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

I found out about it through a job website, they were having a career event. The interview process for me is always an easy thing but preparing for it was horrible. M.A.C. really forces you to learn all of their information and know it as well as you know your name while interviewing. A lot of the details can be easily forgotten when you are getting interviewed so really make sure you know your stuff. Also they seem to enjoy men who apply and any woman that has a bubbly personality, smile be confident and sell yourself.

Interview Questions

• What separates you from all the other applicants, why should we hire you and not them? (group interview)   Answer Question

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2014.

Interview

Very short, didn't really talk much or ask me questions. I came in wearing all black with my hair and makeup done. I didn't have my portfolio on me so she wouldn't continue with the interview.
    I called her back that week with my portfolio to send but she didn't return my call.

Makeup Artist Interview

Interview

I went to several group interviews and learned a lot about the company. After meeting the counter manager several times, she gave me an interview. There was a second interview where you demonstrate how you apply product on a friend. Questions are expected - company knowledge is helpful.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Had a makeup demo and a sit down group interview all in one day. Was given 30 minutes to pick out products for model and to put on a natural day time look given the situation of the model. Sit down interview was less than 20 minutes was asked to describe myself, what I was wearing on my face, favorite MAC product and why I would like to work for the company. Overall it was an amazing process and I'm glad to have gotten an interview with the company I would love to work for.

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

There will be at least 3 interviews. 1 with the retail manager, 1 makeup interview you will need a model for and 1 with the MRO (district manager), If you apply through Craigs List then the Regional recruiter will contact you if they were interested in your resume then schedule a group interview or a one on one interview. Then if you passed you will be forwarded to a Retail Manager if you pass that then they will call you to schedule a makeup interview. It will be timed and there will be a specific scenario you will have to apply. Don't go doing some crazy elaborate looks they just want to see how you listen to the customer and know the basics of makeup. A prime look is ideal (natural and clean).

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions just all about selling and how I plan to make my personal goals. They want to know your past experience in sales especially retail sales and how were you successful.   Answer Question

Makeup Artist Interview

Interview

Fully made up in all black jewelry at a minimum ... I hope I can go very far with this company ! Working fashion week and working with is a dream of mine! No formal training besides self teaching and speaking with other make up artists, and having my make up done at MAC

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (West Portland, OR) in June 2013.

Interview

My interview was super easy, I was already a well known customer so I kind of had a foot in. I feel like it's a lot about who you know. MAC likes to promote from within so they will be more likely to hire someone they are seeing on a regular basis. I had a interview with my counter manager and department manager, and I had an interview with the account executive for MAC, and then one more interview. It took about two weeks and I got an offer!

Interview Questions

• They just want to know what you know about their brand, nothing too difficult. I think the hardest part might be the makeup interview. They throw you a random scenario and you have a time limit to do the makeup accordingly. My region is very real, none of that superficial MAC stereotype. I made sure I made a mistake on purpose and then showed my customer (model) how to correct the mistake at home without ruining the rest of the makeup, because mistakes happen!   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was so excited, was my dream job so I didn't do any negotiating and took the offer as it was.

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Orlando, FL) in June 2013.

Interview

The hiring & interview process took about a month. I had 3 interviews & the final one resulted in a later call with a job offer. The best advice I could give would be to avoid nerves & let your true personality show.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing specifically abnormal or difficult.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Just entering the company I didn't negotiate too much. I made an offer that they countered, with a slightly higher offer in pay.

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in February 2013.

Interview

I went to a Cosmetics Career Fair, found out through friend and it was also on Craigslist (look out for them, ladies;p) Waited in the longest line ever-took about three hours. Sat down with the hiring manager, she asked me the typical questions "Why M.A.C? What do you know about our company? What is your availability?" It took a total of 5 minutes. She loved me and invited me back for a group interview and makeup demo. Gave me the application to fill out and the M.A.C invite to come back.

Came back the next day. Had a group interview, it SUCKED ...... for me at least. They went around one by one asked us to introduce ourselves. Then if we wanted permanent part-time or freelance. Then asked what inspired our Makeup look that we had on. It was an hour long.

We went on to the Makeup Demo. They switched models on us and asked us to ask them what makes them feel beautiful and to apply that Makeup look on our "customer". We had 30 minutes. And that is that. Told us if we got the job, they would call us back within a week.

Pretty much, they don't care if you can apply makeup or not. They want to know if you can sell. So, my advice is to fake it and sell yourself. And I am saying that truthfully. I didn't fake it and I did an amazing job on the makeup, and didn't get a call. I also gave my model some really great makeup tips. Moral of this story, FAKE it! Act like you can sell their products and blah blah blah. You'll be trained to do makeup anyways.