MAC Cosmetics

Updated Nov 11, 2014

2.8

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Makeup Artist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

I found out about it through a job website, they were having a career event. The interview process for me is always an easy thing but preparing for it was horrible. M.A.C. really forces you to learn all of their information and know it as well as you know your name while interviewing. A lot of the details can be easily forgotten when you are getting interviewed so really make sure you know your stuff. Also they seem to enjoy men who apply and any woman that has a bubbly personality, smile be confident and sell yourself.

Interview Questions
  • What separates you from all the other applicants, why should we hire you and not them? (group interview)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MAC Cosmetics

Makeup Artist Interview

I went to several group interviews and learned a lot about the company. After meeting the counter manager several times, she gave me an interview. There was a second interview where you demonstrate how you apply product on a friend. Questions are expected - company knowledge is helpful.

I did not negotiate

Makeup Artist Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Had a makeup demo and a sit down group interview all in one day. Was given 30 minutes to pick out products for model and to put on a natural day time look given the situation of the model. Sit down interview was less than 20 minutes was asked to describe myself, what I was wearing on my face, favorite MAC product and why I would like to work for the company. Overall it was an amazing process and I'm glad to have gotten an interview with the company I would love to work for.

Makeup Artist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

There will be at least 3 interviews. 1 with the retail manager, 1 makeup interview you will need a model for and 1 with the MRO (district manager), If you apply through Craigs List then the Regional recruiter will contact you if they were interested in your resume then schedule a group interview or a one on one interview. Then if you passed you will be forwarded to a Retail Manager if you pass that then they will call you to schedule a makeup interview. It will be timed and there will be a specific scenario you will have to apply. Don't go doing some crazy elaborate looks they just want to see how you listen to the customer and know the basics of makeup. A prime look is ideal (natural and clean).

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions just all about selling and how I plan to make my personal goals. They want to know your past experience in sales especially retail sales and how were you successful.   Answer Question

Makeup Artist Interview

Fully made up in all black jewelry at a minimum ... I hope I can go very far with this company ! Working fashion week and working with is a dream of mine! No formal training besides self teaching and speaking with other make up artists, and having my make up done at MAC

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Portland, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2013.

My interview was super easy, I was already a well known customer so I kind of had a foot in. I feel like it's a lot about who you know. MAC likes to promote from within so they will be more likely to hire someone they are seeing on a regular basis. I had a interview with my counter manager and department manager, and I had an interview with the account executive for MAC, and then one more interview. It took about two weeks and I got an offer!

Interview Questions
    • They just want to know what you know about their brand, nothing too difficult. I think the hardest part might be the makeup interview. They throw you a random scenario and you have a time limit to do the makeup accordingly. My region is very real, none of that superficial MAC stereotype. I made sure I made a mistake on purpose and then showed my customer (model) how to correct the mistake at home without ruining the rest of the makeup, because mistakes happen!   View Answer
    I was so excited, was my dream job so I didn't do any negotiating and took the offer as it was.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2013.

The hiring & interview process took about a month. I had 3 interviews & the final one resulted in a later call with a job offer. The best advice I could give would be to avoid nerves & let your true personality show.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing specifically abnormal or difficult.   View Answer
    Just entering the company I didn't negotiate too much. I made an offer that they countered, with a slightly higher offer in pay.

Makeup Artist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in February 2013.

I went to a Cosmetics Career Fair, found out through friend and it was also on Craigslist (look out for them, ladies;p) Waited in the longest line ever-took about three hours. Sat down with the hiring manager, she asked me the typical questions "Why M.A.C? What do you know about our company? What is your availability?" It took a total of 5 minutes. She loved me and invited me back for a group interview and makeup demo. Gave me the application to fill out and the M.A.C invite to come back.

Came back the next day. Had a group interview, it SUCKED ...... for me at least. They went around one by one asked us to introduce ourselves. Then if we wanted permanent part-time or freelance. Then asked what inspired our Makeup look that we had on. It was an hour long.

We went on to the Makeup Demo. They switched models on us and asked us to ask them what makes them feel beautiful and to apply that Makeup look on our "customer". We had 30 minutes. And that is that. Told us if we got the job, they would call us back within a week.

Pretty much, they don't care if you can apply makeup or not. They want to know if you can sell. So, my advice is to fake it and sell yourself. And I am saying that truthfully. I didn't fake it and I did an amazing job on the makeup, and didn't get a call. I also gave my model some really great makeup tips. Moral of this story, FAKE it! Act like you can sell their products and blah blah blah. You'll be trained to do makeup anyways.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in December 2012.

The hiring process was a very long one. I had to wait about 2.5 months from dropping off my application until hired. About a month after I dropped off my application, I received a call to a makeup interview about 45 minutes away from me. I was told to bring a model and they would assess my skills. That was cancelled due to in-climate weather and was rescheduled for a week later. Management was very apologetic and understanding. They really seemed to value my time as much as theirs which really surprised me and excited me even more. It was very stressful doing the makeup interview. The artist overseeing it quickly went over sanitation procedures and a scenario then proceded to answer texts and peruse Instagram. 2 weeks later I received a call setting up an interview with the retail manager. The interview went great! Went to Starbucks and had a discussion over coffee. A week later I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think you could bring to the team?   View Answer
    There was not negotion

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in March 2012.

Got referred to do apply by a Mac employee. So I went to the caterer fair in Anaheim. First "interview" I guess was just a meet and greet and if they liked you then you move on to the next step which is bringing in a model to demo your makeup skills. There was about 15 people and it was just one group interview. And they asked basic questions. We went around and gave a brief into about our selves. Then had 5 min to choose what products we needed for out models and 30 min to apply the makeup. After that, they come around and critique/evaluate you; it was very intomidating. We had to provide out own brushes. They told us if we don't hear back in the ext 2 weeks then we are more than welcome to re apply...I'm just crossing my fingers an pray I get that call back!