MAC Cosmetics Makeup Artist Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (King of Prussia, PA) in July 2015.

Interview

I went to the counter in person to hand in my resume (I have retail experience and I am a certified makeup artist). The manager was SO nice and cool. Asked me right on the spot why MAC and not another cosmetics company. Be prepared before you go in because you never know what they might ask you that could sway them towards calling you for an interview! I was told that she would give me a call during the next week to set up an interview. By Thursday I hadn't heard anything so I called to follow-up. She said that they were super busy and she thanked me for following up and that she would call me back later on. She called back and scheduled my first interview. That went great. She had another third key sit in on the interview and they were honestly both so amazing and nice. They made me feel super comfortable and stressed the fact that their team was like a family which I absolutely loved. The next week they called me back for a makeup interview. They had a trainer come down who was SO nice and again made me feel really comfortable. She started out by asking me the same questions like why MAC? and a couple other questions about my resume. Then she told me that she wanted to see a really soft, complete natural look. I had 45 minutes to investigate, gather my products and complete the look (which really equates to 30 minutes to do the application), Throughout the time, she was really coaching me and giving me tips/little facts about the brushes and products which I found super helpful. Remember to practice sanitary techniques and talk to the client about what you are doing/why you are doing it/why you chose the products you did. After I was done, she told the manager that I was good to go and I had an interview with the regional manager in store directly following the makeup interview. She was also really welcoming and kind. She asked me about my resume and availability and questions about MAC (nothing on history though). Once I answered all of her questions, her and the trainer offered me a permanent position!! I have to wait for the official call, which I should be receiving this week. If you relax, go in with confidence, and show how much you want the job, it will help immensely. It's ok to show excitement. The staff wants to see that you love the brand/products.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for MAC Cosmetics

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics in May 2015.

Interview

I first submitted my resume back in August of 2014. I got a call back to attend a Career Call in December 2014. The Career Call was a group interview plus a makeup application. So I had to bring a model and they gave me a scenario that I had to re-create on her. They wanted to make sure that my brushes were extremely clean, my workstation was sanitary, and I was starting conversation with my model. They told me they would get back to me in a week. I didn't hear back from anyone for a month. So then they called me in for another interview, this time it was for a face to face with the store manager. I didn't hear back from that until April 2015. And they asked me to come in for another group interview. And so a week after that, they asked me to come back in for another make up application on a model. That was yesterday morning and they said they will get back to me sometime this week. I have not heard anything as of yet but I am still hoping and waiting to get the job!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Mac?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if it was slow and there was nobody in the store?   1 Answer
    • What inspired you to do the make up that you're wearing today?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Chevy Chase, MD) in May 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application to the recruiting office on April 20th, I had my 1st interview at the training center on April 22nd and my makeup demo May 1st on one of the Pro Stores. They did not switch my model, thank goodness. After the demo, on the spot, I had my 2nd interview with the Regional Manager, her assistant and the original recruiter I 1st interviewed with. That lasted about 35-40mins. They asked everything from why I want to work for MAC to my favorite product and why to how would I sell my favorite item to a customer that is looking for something else. Overall I think the process was painless and went very well. The only thing is this waiting...I haven't heard anything! I debating if I should call or just accept the fact that maybe the interview didn't go as well as I think it went. I'm still keeping hope alive. I was told to stay optimistic bcuz it takes a while. Heard one story where the process took 9 months for one artist who is now a freelancer with MAC.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for MAC?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about the MAC Social Responsibility?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite MAC product and why?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Malta, MT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Malta, MT) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview went pleasantly enough. The quality of MAC makeup in comparison to other renowned brands came into effect during the interview and my knowledge about MAC. It was posed as a trick question I imagine in retrospect but my enthusiasm convinced them that I love MAC.

Interview Questions

• How to reach a minimum specified amount of sales in one day.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Nashville, TN) in April 2015.

Interview

It was definitely a long process because I have my resume to many different counters. It took a couple of months. I did not get the position I applied for but was offered the freelance position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (New York, NY).

Interview

I felt like the interview process was pretty exstensive. I went through two interviews and a demo. The first time I met with four people, second interview was with five. Lots of questions about makeup, MAC, myself(past present & future) and current trends. Wore all black of course, my two interviews were scheduled within a week of each other, got the call back for the offer two weeks later for full time artist.

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

I found out about it through a job website, they were having a career event. The interview process for me is always an easy thing but preparing for it was horrible. M.A.C. really forces you to learn all of their information and know it as well as you know your name while interviewing. A lot of the details can be easily forgotten when you are getting interviewed so really make sure you know your stuff. Also they seem to enjoy men who apply and any woman that has a bubbly personality, smile be confident and sell yourself.

Interview Questions

• What separates you from all the other applicants, why should we hire you and not them? (group interview)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2014.

Interview

Very short, didn't really talk much or ask me questions. I came in wearing all black with my hair and makeup done. I didn't have my portfolio on me so she wouldn't continue with the interview. I called her back that week with my portfolio to send but she didn't return my call.

Makeup Artist Interview

Interview

I went to several group interviews and learned a lot about the company. After meeting the counter manager several times, she gave me an interview. There was a second interview where you demonstrate how you apply product on a friend. Questions are expected - company knowledge is helpful.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate

Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Had a makeup demo and a sit down group interview all in one day. Was given 30 minutes to pick out products for model and to put on a natural day time look given the situation of the model. Sit down interview was less than 20 minutes was asked to describe myself, what I was wearing on my face, favorite MAC product and why I would like to work for the company. Overall it was an amazing process and I'm glad to have gotten an interview with the company I would love to work for.