MAC Cosmetics

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

West Portland, OR

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2013.

Interview Details – My interview was super easy, I was already a well known customer so I kind of had a foot in. I feel like it's a lot about who you know. MAC likes to promote from within so they will be more likely to hire someone they are seeing on a regular basis. I had a interview with my counter manager and department manager, and I had an interview with the account executive for MAC, and then one more interview. It took about two weeks and I got an offer!

Interview Question – They just want to know what you know about their brand, nothing too difficult. I think the hardest part might be the makeup interview. They throw you a random scenario and you have a time limit to do the makeup accordingly. My region is very real, none of that superficial MAC stereotype. I made sure I made a mistake on purpose and then showed my customer (model) how to correct the mistake at home without ruining the rest of the makeup, because mistakes happen!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was so excited, was my dream job so I didn't do any negotiating and took the offer as it was.

Orlando, FL

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring & interview process took about a month. I had 3 interviews & the final one resulted in a later call with a job offer. The best advice I could give would be to avoid nerves & let your true personality show.

Interview Question – There was nothing specifically abnormal or difficult.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Just entering the company I didn't negotiate too much. I made an offer that they countered, with a slightly higher offer in pay.

Interviewed at MAC Cosmetics

Interview Details – Fully made up in all black jewelry at a minimum ... I hope I can go very far with this company ! Working fashion week and working with is a dream of mine! No formal training besides self teaching and speaking with other make up artists, and having my make up done at MAC

Interview Question – making sure my make up was flawless   Answer Question

Akron, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in December 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process was a very long one. I had to wait about 2.5 months from dropping off my application until hired. About a month after I dropped off my application, I received a call to a makeup interview about 45 minutes away from me. I was told to bring a model and they would assess my skills. That was cancelled due to in-climate weather and was rescheduled for a week later. Management was very apologetic and understanding. They really seemed to value my time as much as theirs which really surprised me and excited me even more. It was very stressful doing the makeup interview. The artist overseeing it quickly went over sanitation procedures and a scenario then proceded to answer texts and peruse Instagram. 2 weeks later I received a call setting up an interview with the retail manager. The interview went great! Went to Starbucks and had a discussion over coffee. A week later I was offered the position.

Interview Question – What do you think you could bring to the team?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was not negotion

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2010.

Interview Details – They do a makeup interview to see your skills. And if you know about the company. They want to know your selling skills and in you work well under pressure.

Interview Question – They do a lot of role playing so be prepared for that. Know about the company. On your makeup application interview be very clean and sanitary copy face chart to the T. Manage your time well too.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really a negotiation more like you get what you get.

Makeup Artist

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in February 2013.

Interview Details – I went to a Cosmetics Career Fair, found out through friend and it was also on Craigslist (look out for them, ladies;p) Waited in the longest line ever-took about three hours. Sat down with the hiring manager, she asked me the typical questions "Why M.A.C? What do you know about our company? What is your availability?" It took a total of 5 minutes. She loved me and invited me back for a group interview and makeup demo. Gave me the application to fill out and the M.A.C invite to come back.

Came back the next day. Had a group interview, it SUCKED ...... for me at least. They went around one by one asked us to introduce ourselves. Then if we wanted permanent part-time or freelance. Then asked what inspired our Makeup look that we had on. It was an hour long.

We went on to the Makeup Demo. They switched models on us and asked us to ask them what makes them feel beautiful and to apply that Makeup look on our "customer". We had 30 minutes. And that is that. Told us if we got the job, they would call us back within a week.

Pretty much, they don't care if you can apply makeup or not. They want to know if you can sell. So, my advice is to fake it and sell yourself. And I am saying that truthfully. I didn't fake it and I did an amazing job on the makeup, and didn't get a call. I also gave my model some really great makeup tips. Moral of this story, FAKE it! Act like you can sell their products and blah blah blah. You'll be trained to do makeup anyways.

Interview Question – What inspired my makeup look.   Answer Question

Wichita, KS

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in June 2011.

Interview Details – Replied to an add on Craigslist. I received an email back, saying they would like to interview me, then another with the time. They had three managers interviewing a person at the same time. After your interview, you were given time to apply makeup to a model. I heard that they usually have a "look" they like you to do, but they just wanted an evening-to-day look. Boring.

Interview Question – Nothing unusual about the interview. Just be prepared to tell them you can sell stuff and that you keep up with fashions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wasn't offered the full position, but the on call position. By the time they finally got back to me with the paper work about it, I had taken a full time position and didn't have time to be on call, even if I could turn down the call.

Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in February 2009.

Interview Details – Went through three interviews. One makeup applicatioin, a sit down with the manager, and a phone interview with the regional manager.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult for me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there wasn't one but it took a long time like a month before my paperwork was complete and I was able to start working.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in October 2008.

Interview Details – Met with counter manager. Scheduled interview. After approval to move on, met and interviewed by regional district manager. After passed that, did a demo from a magazine tear out on my friend who acted as my model. Had to be very professional, talking to model as well as doing makeup in prestine manner, had to practice clean and sanitary counter practices throughout and talk up brand, VIVA Glam Aids fund, Back to MAC program, company and artistry. Show a PASSION for the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – It was easy and we talked about how many hours a week I'd work and my schedule. I chose evenings and Saturdays and Sundays, as you HAVE to work weekend in retail no if's, and's or but's about it!

Indianapolis, IN

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at MAC Cosmetics in March 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume to MAC store, about a month later was called by the MRO to attend a casting call, During the casting call they interviewed you based on the time of your arrival, luckily I got there two hours early so I was the first to be interviewed. She asked me the usual interview question;
Tell me why you love MAC?
Where would you see yourself in the company in 5 years?
Why do you want to work for us?
etc
After what seemed to be about 20mins she invited me back to part two the next day and to bring a model for a live makeup.

Next day I brought my friend and started the live makeup with the others who were cleared to progress to the next level of the interview. But they switched the models and the artist to give us an unexpected challenge. Blew that part out of the water and after everyone finished they said they would contact the people chosen to be hired by Monday and no later than wed. keep in mind that this happened on a Thursday. They called me literally 20mins after the makeup and said they want me to be a permanent artist.
So then i was asked to go to the MAC store to fill out the normal new hire paper work then I started at the counter position.

Interview Question – Why would I want to work for MAC?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – they told me what I would make and that was that no room for negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at MAC Cosmetics

Worked for MAC Cosmetics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MAC Cosmetics Makeup Artist interview questions and advice. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by MAC Cosmetics employees and interview candidates.