MACTEC

Relevance Date Difficulty

Proposal Manager Interview

Proposal Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MACTEC in March 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted resume in response to a position that was advertised in numerous places online and on their website. I was contacted for an interview within days by one of their HR people. First interview was led by the Engineer who oversees the San Diego office. It went well. He called in others to meet me and ask questions. A total of 5 people in the interview at one point. Everyone seemed very pleased with me. The interview was over 2 hours. The following week, I was contacted by another of the top local management people that had been out of the office the day I was interviewed. He wanted to meet me. Went in for another interview that lasted a little over an hour. Answered his questions. Met their office manager who sat in on part of the interview. She asked me how I felt about being called out during rainy days to do storm water testing. Everyone in the office takes part when it rains. I'm a trained marketing professional with an advanced degree and over 20 years experience. Never had a question like that in an interview before but I went along with it as some kind of office bonding type experience. That interview I received a tour of the office only after I asked for one. Continued to chat with the man, another Engineer, who was interviewing me, talking more industry shop talk than interview subjects. I thought it went very well. After two weeks later and hadn't heard anything, contacted their HR person, the one who'd set up the first interview. Didn't even get the professional courtesy of a response with any kind of update. I mean if they hired someone, fine, just say so. Why so unprofessional to not respond at all? I spent over 3 hours of my time interviewing and went to their office twice. Don't I at least get the courtesy of a response? Guess not.

Interestingly after another two weeks, their ad dropped off their advertised places. I figured they'd hired someone. Then three weeks later, it reappeared for another three weeks, then dropped off again for about a month, then returned. Did they hire someone they didn't like, then go through the process again? Did they just interview everyone in town and were still unimpressed? Who knows? I figure I was lucky to not be hired because clearly such unprofessional behavior would be reflected in some aspect of working for the company. I went on to get a great, well-paying job elsewhere.

Interview Question – How do you feel about having to go out and test storm water samples? EVERYONE in the office participates when it rains.   View Answer

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Hamilton, NJ

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MACTEC in January 2010.

Interview Details – Normal. Very standard process, nothing too unfair.

Interview Question – Do you know how to use a pump system curve?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No flexibility.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Atlanta, GA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MACTEC in December 2009.

Interview Details – Applied for position online. Recruiter called within a few days; performed 20 minute phone interview, then setup appointment to meet with company leaders, consisted of another call or two to get times/date set.

Interview was a specific review of past experiences, company needs and how the two meshed. Low stress, applicant friendly....just wanting to know what you were good and not so good at. Recruiting kept me informed as to where they were in the process. Then very nice call from company HR rep letting me know position had gone to another, with a general idea of why - which made perfect sense.

Very positive experience and good PR for Mactec.......can't say same for all I've talked with unfortunately!

Interview Question – What happened with last position?   View Answer

Worked for MACTEC? Contribute to the Community!