MAXIMUS

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Operations Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at MAXIMUS in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online through the Maximus site for an Operations position. The position seemed like a good one as an entry into the company. Two days later, I received a phone call asking me to come in for an interview but the guy said he was from K something or another and gave me directions. I did research online and discovered it was another company that was a subsidiary of Maximus, another government subcontractor. I had never heard of them and kept doing research. It took me over an hour to arrive at the destination which was in the middle of nowhere but a very nice building, and the directions were incorrect but I had mapped it out.

Upon arrival, the building was nice and the receptionist was kind and inviting. So that put me at ease. Then the hiring manager who had called me in for the interview and invited me back for the interview. Then he informed me three others would be joining us. He was a bit stoic. When we entered the room they were sitting down with a packet of paper with questions. The manager instructed me where exactly to sit. I had copies of my resume but they didn't seem to feel that was necessary and I am not sure they even looked at it. They just had their list of questions they were going to take turns asking me. They then informed they do "behavior-based interviews". The manager then asked me if I had any questions about the company. I tried to talk as intelligently as possibly about Maximus and their company and I was correct and they refused to answer any questions or elaborate on the company or the position at that time but said they would after they asked me their questions. it was odd.

They fired away their questions for the next hour, which were entirely situational based on my past experience - basic questions to determine how you reacted in situations, if you were flexible or not, how you got along with others and your work performance. Such as tell me a time you encountered a difficult coworker and how you handled it.. tell me a time you had an irate customer and how you handled it.. tell me a time you overcome an obstacle or missed a deadline and how you achieved the results and exactly how you handled it. . tell me a time you failed. the whole time i answered them and kept wondering what does this have to do with the entry level job they want? it made no sense and there was no connect with their starting point and ending point. i could not wait to leave.

then at the end they asked me why they should hire me for the position. All I knew about the position was the job posting/position description on the website. And now there was a different company? and they refused to give their view before I answered the question. I had never encountered anything so odd.

Finally they let me ask at the end what their positions were at the company and how that fit with the position. I still never received clarification on the total elements of the position. I suspected it was a mailroom position and not an Administrator position. I just wanted to run as fast as I could.

Then they said they were still interviewing and would make a decision in two weeks and would I be interested. I kindly said it would be a pleasure to join the team and learn more. At least it ended on a polite note but there is no way I would take a job there.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – there was no offer, and it was just too odd to even entertain it.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at MAXIMUS

Worked for MAXIMUS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MAXIMUS Operations interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by MAXIMUS employees and interview candidates.