MB Financial

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Rosemont, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MB Financial.

Interview Details – First had an interview on campus, which was mainly behavioral. Then I had a second round interview at the headquarters where I met with two of the managers. Everything was very behavioral based and this process was two weeks.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be in banking?   Answer Question

Rosemont, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MB Financial.

Interview Details – Pretty much all behavioral questions, attempting to gauge fit.

Interview Question – My past experience was not related to banking so tying that all together was difficult.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Commercial Credit Analyst Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at MB Financial in October 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was super casual. Just went through my resume and asked basic questions. At some point the interview stopped because he was "pretty sure I knew all the technicals he would ask"

Interview Question – Where is a good place to get pizza?   Answer Question

CSMB II Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MB Financial in March 2012.

Interview Details – Over all I had 2 interviews. I interviewed with the branch manager and then the Regional Manager. Hiring Process is very very slow and drags. Recruiters often fend off good candidates and I believe do not have the knowledge necessary to screen or select candidates properly.

Interview Question – No realyl difficult questions, all basic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a lot less and I negotiated. I accepted their counter offer. Always negotiate and fight for your own salary because noone else will.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Customer Service Associate
Broadview, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at MB Financial in August 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted application online and soon after received a phone call from the recruiter to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview I met the branch manager for a 1:1. That went fairly well though I felt he was somewhat negative about what I could potentially make as far as referrals at his particular location. The branch manager called me a few days later wanting to schedule a second interview with the assistant manager. She didn't have much to say to me and I sincerely wasn't prepared with many questions for her, so it was probably 10 minutes total. I could tell from the moment I sat down that she didn't like me. After the second interview, I reached out to the recruiter twice for my application status. The first call didn't get returned, the second was returned and I was told I'd have an answer with in a week or so. Two months later, I received an e-mail stating my four years of teller experience wasn't sufficient for the position.

Interview Question – What were your sales goals like at your previous position?   Answer Question

Trust Associate Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at MB Financial.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview with HR. I already was an experience trust employee at a very large wealth management firm. Questions were generic and showed no knowledge of the job. Only focused on salary requirements, was told if I couldn't give them a range I couldn't move forward in interviewing. Let the interviewer know I would need to learn more about the position before I could answer those questions. Also the phone interviewer called 15 minutes late.

Interview Question – What are you salary expectations (twice)   Answer Question

Credit Analyst - LDP
Rosemont, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at MB Financial in November 2010.

Interview Details – I knew a SVP, so he forwarded my resume to HR and I received a phone call from a Bank recruiter. The questions were basic and easy "Why do you want to work in banking?"-type. I'm pretty sure the HR lady knew nothing about banking so you could say anything...just as long as your confident in your answer. Was brought in for a afternoon of interviews. (The bank doesn't reimburse the interviewee for any mileage, travel, hotels, meals, etc. - tacky). There was a formal lunch with tables of 4-5 potential LDPs and a bank employee/manager/executive. After lunch you take a written exam, mingle with current LDPs, and complete two ~30 min interviews...one with an LDP manager and one with a senior manager. The interviews aren't too hard as they don't expect you to have any clue as to what banking entails. They mostly look to see if you're normal and not a goofball. However, quite a few goofballs get offers because the COO, CCO, or a customer requests that they get an offer....I'd say 60% of LDPs get in to the program this way. If a man, make sure you wear a blue or grey (never black) suit with a white or blue shirt. My classes offer was about $52.5K + a $3k signing bonus and a promise of 4-6% raises every 6 months. Sounds like a lot at the time but the raises never come and you're promotion salary hikes are horrible. Once you become an officer, everyone works really hard for their "bonus" but those are pathetic considering the effort. Think $2-4K on a $62k salary after 3 years of employment. AVP's get slightly higher bonuses, and their salary is about $70k if they are lucky.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. As a first job post-college the interviewee doesn't have significant leverage.

Credit Analyst - LDP
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at MB Financial in October 2011.

Interview Details – Applied via my university. Interviewed with a Vice President. She ran through a couple of standard behavioral interview questions; she was very friendly. Make sure to have questions ready and be prepared to answer why you want to get into the banking industry. Standard interview; I thought it went pretty well but I never heard back.

Retail Banking (LDP) Interview

Rosemont, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MB Financial in March 2011.

Interview Details – My resume for this position was submitted on Friday afternoon. The following Monday, I received a call from an HR associate requesting to schedule a phone screen with me. She sounded like she was calling from a loud call center. We set the date and time for the phone screen. She asked me tons of questions, the usual HR stuff, but sounded very conservative and cold to say the least. After every answer I gave her, she would say “Ok, this is great, well my next question is….” So I almost felt like I was speaking with an answering machine. She then said that I would be contacted within 2 weeks if they decide to invite me for an in person interview. I received another call from her, a week later, inviting me for the interview – scheduled 3 weeks later. Needless to say, they are taking their merry long time to make a decision. When I went to the interview, I met with two people from their senior team and I had a panel interview. They were both very friendly; the woman complimented my coat, and even asked where I got it from. Then they started with their questions. The interview lasted only about 30 minutes. They said that they were interviewing for a position that would be available in June, so they would get back to me within 2 months with their hiring decision. But no matter what that was, they would let me know for sure. It was a month later when I hadn’t still heard anything from them. So I decided to email and follow up on the hiring process. I was emailed two days later, saying that they decided to pursuit another candidate for the position. Letting me know would sure have been appreciated. I was very disappointed that they promised me something and never kept their promises.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your sales skills on a scale from 1 to 10? What would you do if you are approaching the end of the month but aren't nearly to close to achieving your sales goal?   Answer Question
  • Describe one of the most influential relationships that you have developed in college or at work?   Answer Question
  • They ask a lot of the "why" questions, so be prepared - why MB, why this position, why the school you graduated from, why your major, etc?   Answer Question
  • How familiar are you with the different positions there are within a bank?   Answer Question
  • How would you describe your personal banking experience with your bank? Why did you pick the bank you are currently doing business with?   Answer Question

Private Banking Associate Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at MB Financial in August 2008.

Interview Details – Had prior Private Banking assistant experience so Phone Interview and InPerson Interview were not difficult. They just wanted to know about previous experience.

Interview Question – Questions were not difficult. They just asked me about my experience and to give an example of how I handled difficult client situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me more than I had thought they would so I did not negotiate.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for MB Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MB Financial interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by MB Financial employees and interview candidates.