MBH Architects Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014

1.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at MBH Architects

Architectural Apprentice Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at MBH Architects in January 2014.

submit resume and cover letter + samples of past projects or portfolio. HR calls right away for a phone interview and for a 1:1 interview afterwards. The interview is easy and really a waste of time. Nothing is explained about the job being offered.

Architectural Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Alameda, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MBH Architects in February 2012.

The interview process was fairly simple. I felt like they were selling the firm more than qualifying me for the position. There was a lot of talk about how great the firm was. I think apprentices are hired more from the perception of their attitude than from explicit computer skills, project experience, design skill. This is not a firm with a lot of gifted designers, however there are a few. The interview was only 30 minutes. I took a CAD test and was promptly hired. There was no background check or anything like that. I started soon after.

The people who work here are typical architectural people, (i.e alternative, hipster types)
    They are quiet, not completely social animals. They are able to hold a conversation, but not willing to have one. A lot of Asians work here. I don't know if they speak English because I never heard many of them even speak. Not much chit chat or hanging out after work, I didn't feel much sense of teamwork or camraderie here except for a few small pockets. It took a while for people to warm up to me, not a very welcoming place for a new employee at all. All coworkers were generally polite, educated and good people.

The culture here reflected that of a sweatshop. They hire generally unexperienced people out of college and put them in positions of repetitive medium skilled work, and ride the heck out of them. I have many hours of unpaid overtime put into this place. They of course don't ask you to work overtime because they don't wan tto pay it, but the daily workload expectations is clearly over 8 hours a day. If you are obstinate about working and not getting paid for it, this isn't your new career home.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing really difficult that was asked. One of the easieist interviews I have had. Maybe they had already decided to hire me.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for this particular position. They are firm with their base pay, however I have heard of being able to talk them up for a dollar or more per hour.

Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Alameda, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

interviewed at MBH Architects in June 2012.

Initial interview with HR director was fairly lond. AutoCAD and/or REVIT testing the same day. Follow-up interview with principals and project leads to discuss position, work environment and portfolio. Everyone was very nice. The time between interviews and the time it took for a response was long. It didn't seem like they had specific positions fleshed out that they were hiring for.

Interview Questions
    • The AutoCAD testing was graded quite strictly in my opinion.   Answer Question

Worked for MBH Architects? Contribute to the Community!