MBS Textbook Exchange Interview Questions

Updated Jan 27, 2015

2.7

POS QA Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MBS Textbook Exchange in January 2015.

Interview

There have been two interviews so far in this process.

The first was with the VP of Human Resources, Jerome Rader. This interview was a typical meet 'n; greet, in which Mr. Rader talked about the company, their scope of operations, and the general working environment. I think the objective was to get a personal feel for the applicant, and to ensure that the applicants salary expectations are in line with the what the company is offering.

If everything looks favorable, the applicant may be offered a second interview with the hiring manager, in this case Pat Pellock, Director of Systems Development for MBS Systems. This interview was also a meet 'n' greet, with only a little more technical content. What impressed me most about Ms. Pellock was that she (and Mr. Rader) genuinely believed that MBS TExtbook Exchange has a family-like atmosphere, where people work in a collegial manner to support the goals of the company.

When I asked the question "What would constitute success in this position?", she gave me the most astute answer I have ever heard a manager reply: "A person will be a success in this position shen the other members of the team trust and respect the person enough to go to him/her for advice." Other managers might give a long list of specific skill masteries, but Ms. Pellock was focused on team cohesiveness, assuming that skill mastery is only one part of the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Ms. Pellock did ask the old stand-by "What is your greatest weakness."   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at MBS Textbook Exchange.

Interview

Process for me was a phone interview, then a one on one with a director then with the hiring manager. It took about three days to get past the recruiter / HR and in the building.

Interview Questions

• Why did you not provide a writing sample when you applied? We would like to see a writing sample.   1 Answer

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MBS Textbook Exchange (Columbia, MO).

Interview

Interview process was pretty standard.

Interview Questions

• They asked what I knew about the company so make sure you do research and stroke their ego a little bit.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not good. They did not negotiate at all.

Econtent Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MBS Textbook Exchange (Columbia, MO) in October 2009.

Interview

I applied online. I was called in for an interview with human resources within a day of placing the application. The human resources professional seemed very nice. He asked me about my qualifications while he reviewed my resume, and why I was interested in the position. He then told me that I would probably be bored, and asked if I was sure I wanted to interview for this position. I respectfully said that yes, I would. He gave me a short overview of the position, the benefits and the wage, and proceeded to set up the interview with the hiring manager.

I met with the hiring manager a few days later. The manager was very respectful, knowledgeable and nice (no longer with the company). The manager asked for details on my qualifications, explained the job in more detail, and asked about how I handle stress and multitasking.

I was offered the position about a week or two later, however, the salary was lower than previously discussed.

Interview Questions

• What would you do or how would you react if you spilled coffee on yourself at the beginning of your work day?   Answer Question

Systems Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MBS Textbook Exchange (Columbia, MO) in March 2009.

Interview

Interviewing process is usually two steps. The first will be with HR. The HR department is wonderful and honestly a pleasure to talk to. They are very good at assessing what jobs you might do well at and if they like you, will often look for another position for you if you do not get the one you originally applied for.

The second interview will usually be with the manager you will be working under and possibly with the director of the department. This interview will usually be more technical in nature and will specifically apply to the job you are applying for. Depending on who interviews you, the questions can range from cooperate culture type questions to work ethic questions and almost always there will be a few customer support related questions, specifically "how would you deal with X" type questions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked some basic networking and windows trouble shooting questions. I do not remember exactly what they were, but they were slightly easy   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They said "this is what this position pays" and that was the end of it.

Copy Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MBS Textbook Exchange.

Interview

I applied to MBS for their Marketing Department. I received a phone call within three days of applying to set up an interview. My initial interview was with an HR rep as a main screening. Since I was coming from out of town to interview he tried hard to get me set up that same week with an interview with an employee from the department I was applying for. My second interview was very short but my interviewer was 30 minutes late for my interview. Despite the frustrating waiting to be interviewed, everyone I encountered appeared to be very friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very standard. Nothing that really jumped out at me to be abnormal or difficult to answer.   Answer Question

Systems Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MBS Textbook Exchange.

Interview

The initial interview was with the HR manager and was pleasant, professional, and not difficult. He stressed that they were in a hurry to fill the position. The next three interviews, though, were a mess.

The first one was with a team manager who spent nearly ten minutes complaining about never having finished her degree, said that she never has team meetings, and said that though several people had quit since she started, that was all coincidental. The second was with the division manager, who when I asked what qualities she saw in those most successful in the position for which I was applying said "not badmouthing the company to customers." The third turned out part-way through to be for an unrelated position for which I had not (and would not have) applied and that I was not told I was being considered for; instead, I had been asked to come in for a third interview for the initial position. They all said that they needed to fill positions "right away," but they could give no details about them; the third one couldn't even tell me the salary range (something they publish with their job announcements).

I may still be in the running for one of these positions for all I know, since they have not answered two polite e-mail inquiries in the six weeks since my last interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you interested in this position that you did not apply for and that I just told you about without any warning that I was interviewing you for it?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MBS Textbook Exchange in November 2010.

Interview

Interview was first with HR manager to gauge qualifications. Within three days, I had a message from HR that a further interview was requested with the manager of the department. I interviewed with the manager a few days later. I was offered the job later that day. The interview process involved a number of questions about my background (although it was relatively informal in that area), and I was asked to fill out a checklist rating my competencies in various areas.

Interview Questions

• What leadership qualities have you done the best job of maximizing in your previous leadership experience?   Answer Question