MD Anderson Cancer Center Postdoctoral Fellow Interview Questions

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Smithville, TX).

Interview

Phone interview (I was living in a different continent at the time), followed by an invitation for a formal interview. I had to give a 1 hour seminar on my previous research, which was visited by at least 5 professors of relevant disciplines. After defending my research, I had personal interviews with 3 professors, where it was most important to show understanding and interest for their research subjects as well as my own. I had 1 day notice of who these professors would be. Otherwise there were a few informal parts, like a meeting with the postdoctoral association for lunch, and a dinner with the future boss to which I was bringing my family. A huge 1 day undertaking.

Interview Questions

• Very challenging science questions, but nothing unexpected for a Postdoctoral Fellow   Answer Question

Negotiation

Short and sweet. M D Anderson has a strict salary guideline based on the years of experience and the same benefits package for all employees. I did not manage to get relocation expenses, as MD Andersons guidelines state that Postdoctoral Fellows are not eligible. This was a bummer as I had to undertake an intercontinental move to start this post.

Other Interview Reviews for MD Anderson Cancer Center

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center.

Interview

Send email to professor and was invited to give a scientific presentation.
    And talked with PI and colleagues for future research projects.

Interview Questions

• If your proposed idea didn't work out, what will you do next?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center in May 2012.

Interview

Directly interviewed with Director/Chairman/Professor
    Prepared 30 min talk on research projects
    Plan the whole day for the interview (including meeting the team, lunch/dinner with the professor and team)
    Have a plan what you are going to work on
    Preferentially have a fellowship otherwise plan to apply for fellowships
    Be on time, it takes some time to get from one place to the next

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston, TX) in May 2011.

Interview

It is pretty straightforward - meet with future mentor, discuss career goals, talk to lab members, finally go for lunch with the new boss.

Interview Questions

• What are you planing after completion of this training   1 Answer
    • Why you chose us   1 Answer

Negotiation

very open and comfortable discussion

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston, TX) in April 2009.

Interview

I interviewed for two positions over 6 years and landed both. Each required two interviews that were pretty easy going. The work environment is pleasant and very professional. Once hired, an entire day of orientation will be provided with a huge amount of information on every aspect of a huge institution.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negociation

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston, TX) in March 2009.

Interview

As a postdoc, I only get interview from my boss's group. People sit together listen to my presentation, asking questions. Nothing different from ordinary seminar. I did a good job and my research direction suits my boss's lab well. So i got the offer. But the paperwork process really took me a long time.

Interview Questions

• what's your plan in your career?   1 Answer

Negotiation

the salary and benefit seems non-negotiable.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston, TX) in March 2007.

Interview

I met with my potential boss and we discussed projects and science.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Minimal, state agency thus the pay scale is very firm.