MDA Corporation Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2014

2.8

Word Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MDA Corporation in March 2014.

3 interviews. First - phone interview with HR that lasted an hour. Asked me about my perception of company, what I wanted our of the company, why I wanted position. Had chance to ask questions.
    Second - in person with prospective boss and HR (same person who interviewed me). Interview + 1 hour test. After test, prospective boss discussed company culture, what the day-to-day experience would be like, and own experience with company. Afterwards, was debriefed by HR, who answered any further questions.
    Third - in person with prospective boss' boss, prospective boss, and HR. Got results back from test, boss' boss briefly asked why I wanted to work in said position. More context about company and was told next contact would be to make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The one hour competency test was quite difficult. I was not expected to know how to do everything, nor did I, but it is still daunting to come out of an exam and then be interviewed.   Answer Question

Antenna Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Quebec, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quebec, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at MDA Corporation in October 2013.

Submitted CV to generic website. A few weeks later, the director called me for a phone interview and decided then to invite me for a personal interview. HR contacted me a week later to arrange travel.
    The interview was scheduled with 1 HR person,1 manager, and 2 technical staff and was set to occupy a morning. I found the interview process straightforward. It went well enough that I got a tour in the afternoon and positive feed back from the manager.
    Overall, it was a very positive and professional process.

Interview Questions
    • "What question would you have liked me to ask?"
      "Who are you most and least favorite comedians?"
        Answer Question
    The offer was a bit less than I had hoped for, which was a 30% cut coming from the US to Canada. Ouch, but that was expected.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at MDA Corporation.

One interview with line manager, team lead and HR

Interview Questions
    My salary expectations were too low. They offered the higher hand of my bracket and I didn't have enough experience to ask for more

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MDA Corporation.

Inteviewed with recruiter, Engineering Manager and several project managers - several separate interview sessions

Interview Questions
    • Whether I would consider accepting working fewer hours for less pay during periods of 'downtime' (lack of project work) at the company.   View Answer
    Negotiating for a firm and equitable salary figure was like pulling teeth - should have been a warning sign.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at MDA Corporation in March 2012.

I submitted my application online (back when we had to directly send cover letter + resume to an HR email address, unlike now) and received a phone call the next day. I'll preface my description of the interview process by saying that: a) I hadn't applied to a specific job because I was overqualified for everything that was posted on their website (in terms of education, not experience), and b) I'm convinced I was contacted by mistake... or that the HR person didn't read my cover letter at all and just saw the word "design" somewhere on my CV, assuming I was a good candidate.

That being said, my phone "interview" was with the mechanical design manager. He called on time and seemed a bit confused as to why he had gotten my CV from HR, but asked me a few questions to get to know me, as well as my motivations and goals. My background didn't really fit with what they were looking for, but he was interested to meet me nonetheless. I assumed (wrongly) that this would be an informational interview and we setup an appointment, 2 days later.

Before the interview, I was greeted by the HR person and he led me to a very small room, without windows, decorated in some sort of 70's fashion. The first part of the interview was with 2 people from the mechanical design group (manager and a senior designer). They sat down and said: "So today, we'll interview you for a mechanical design engineer position". At that point, I realized I wasn't there for an informational interview, but for a real one and I should've read more carefully the job descriptions on their website...haha. They first asked questions about myself and my CV (basic, easy questions), then they moved on to more technical/behavioural questions. "What are the main tasks of a mechanical designer?", "What do you do if you can't reach a solution with the electrical and structural engineers?", "What is the biggest issue for composite materials in space?", "Where do costs come from when budgeting for a specific project?", etc. The interviewers were nice and patient, giving me time and hints to answer questions if needed, but they ended up replying to their own questions if my answers were incomplete.

The second part of the interview was with the HR recruiter. He read questions from a list and wrote down my answers. He was very friendly, though, so it didn't feel like a chore at all. Most of these questions were typical (strong/weak points, what would your friends say about you, would you be willing to work over-time, how's your English, what salary do you expect, etc).

On the same day, I was also supposed to meet with people from the manufacturing and structural analysis groups, but only the manager from the latter showed up. He took one quick look at my resume and asked "Why are you here? You don't fit at all." That was... strange, to say the least. After 5 minutes, he wished me good luck and suggested other companies I should apply to.

After my interview, I clearly felt like I didn't fit there at all, so I wasn't surprised when I never heard back from them. (The end of the story if that they called me again a month later to schedule a second interview with people from the manufacturing group, saying that I didn't get an offer for the mechanical designer position because they were looking for a senior designer (considering my education).)

Interview Questions
    • If you were on a soccer team, which position would you play?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at MDA Corporation in August 2008.

Phone interview with their recruiter first.
    Interview with a group of upper management people.
    They will go through your transcript with you and ask you why you got the grade you did, it is very insulting.
    There is not test, but they will ask you questions that will test how you solve problems.
    Interview process take about 1-2 hours.
    Offer will be sent within the week.

They do not negotiate with new grads.

Contract Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at MDA Corporation in January 2011.

Worst company ever to interview with, to a point where if recruiters call me for a job i say i will be open to anywhere but MDA. Know several people who had a very similar experience. They can't make up thier minds and string you along, hoping for better.

Had 3 progressivly higher interviews. Then told i had the job but the hr person was on vacation. Then her manager was on vacation, etc. Etc. While waiting for what was suposedly the offer, new recruiter calls me for same job. When called them on it non-respinsive. 4 weeks later third recruiter calls for same job.

Friend interviews for same job 5 months later with 4th recruiter promised job and also didn't work out for same reasons.....stay away! Not worth your time.

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MDA Corporation in April 2012.

Got a call from HR to come in to meet the hiring manager. Met with the hiring manager and HR contact. Outside office seems very formal but the interview itself was very relaxed and easygoing. It felt more like a conversation than an interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are you proudest of in your current role?   Answer Question
    • What is a typical day like for you in your current role? What activities do you focus on?   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, BC (Canada)

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MDA Corporation in August 2010.

The interview consisted of a 1-hour interview with a HR representative followed by a 1.5 hour technical panal interview by two team leads.

The HR interview mostly consisted of explaining the benefits that MDA offers, the security clearance requirements (a background check will be run after first week at work), and the assignment (contract) employee process. There were a couple of 'HR-style' interview questions as well, e.g. "describe yourself in three words".

The technical interview consisted of some general algorithm questions that were first asked to be described and then coded. There was also an example program where one had to find all the errors. None of the questions were that hard.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function that reverses the order of words in a sentence.   View Answer
    They tell you that everyone is in fixed salary bands per MOSIS level. This is for the most part true, particularly for M2 (entry-level) positions - it is possible to negotiate for no assignment (contract) term or a slightly higher salary if they want you, though.

Project Manager Interview

The process took 1 week - interviewed at MDA Corporation in October 2010.

found online posting on my accounting organization website, applied online, was contacted for an initial 1 on 1 interview, after several days, offered another interview with a panel of stakeholders who were current team members of project team. very relaxed but they there was plenty of work to keep busy. also flexible with remote access if unable to commute, i have kids. big plus!!

Interview Questions
    • behavioural questions asking for specific examples on how conflict was handled in my current job when crap happens, budget not met, etc...   Answer Question

Worked for MDA Corporation? Contribute to the Community!