MDA IS

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Gaithersburg, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at MDA IS in September 2012.

Interview Details – Setup a time to go in and was met with a group interview of half a dozen developers and managers. It was a little intimidating, but really not so bad. They asked some questions. Posed some basic problems. I got an offer on my way home.

Interview Question – None of the questions were really difficult. I had been out of the field for a while and they were mostly just checking to see if I still knew what I was talking about.   Answer Question

Meteorological Data Marketing Manager Interview

Meteorological Data Marketing Manager
Gaithersburg, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MDA IS in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied on-line, was contacted by MDA’s recruiter then went through a phone interview before being asked to come in for a group/panel interview with all of the same people, minus one person, that took part in the phone interview. The interview began with a trip out to lunch instead of any opening questions or introductions with the panel at the office. Although the restaurant was a nice spot, trying to conduct any kind of serious conversation was difficult in a crowded restaurant on a Friday at noon. During lunch, I supplied resumes upon request to the 3 interviewers. Unfortunately, I found the majority of the interviewers to be unprofessional. A few questions followed from the Operations Manager as noted under the Most Difficult Question below. The Department VP asked me no questions and handed me back my resume which was a red flag for me in that he was not interested in hiring me although he had not spoke to me about my qualifications. The questions from the Operations Manager and the VP’s attitude made me wonder if my qualifications had truly been looked over before the interview. I did ask some questions as well especially about current work to which I received a vague answer without being given any idea of what I could end up working on which was all non-classified material. Despite the awkwardness of the situation, we continued and finished lunch then headed back to the office. The one bright star of the interview panel was the Department Director who was polite and professional despite the fact he was stuck with me for a while longer as it appeared the directive seemed to be to just run out the clock on the interview. The operations manager took part in some of the after lunch questioning but left before things were over. I never received any specifics of the position and what exactly clients would require other than the general description in the job listing because the Operations Manager only spoke in generalities both regarding the job and what I would do. Basically, I was told the job would be marketing commodity data to clients but no more. The VP skipped out of the last half of my interview; ostensibly for phone calls and business but I knew it was over for good at that point. Incidentally, the VP was flagged down by the Department Director as I was checking out at the front desk at the end of the process and basically had to be asked to come over and say goodbye as he was just going to walk past us to wherever he was headed which again shows a lack of professionalism or general courtesy. Overall, I would advise others to be sure that this company is serious about hiring because although I am sure there were some errors in my interview like not clearly articulating my work in my master’s degree, possibly due to the uncomfortable atmosphere, I felt like the panel’s minds, especially the VP, were made up before the interview. My thought is if you desire to be a part of MDA your chances are good if; you are a career production employee with a lower wage background and never desire anything up the ladder or if you are a recent college graduate looking for your first career job because anything higher in stature is like a closed society with the management team comprised of long time company members most of whom were lucky enough to be selected out of a yearly college crop. This interview was one of the most uncomfortable experiences of my life. I felt extremely unwelcome, was relieved when the experience was over and was grateful not to receive an offer. I tried to be open and polite in order to connect with the 3 interviewers that I would potentially be working with but I found them to be closed which is alright if they wanted to be all business. However, it also seemed like they tried to make it social with the lunch outing and initially not seeming to want to talk business or about the position at the beginning. In all honesty, I had doubts as soon as I met everyone and would not have accepted an offer because a forced fit for a job position never works anyway. There are two things that I will give the company credit for. The first is that they sent me the standard rejection email with typical corporate jargon about; not being a fit for the team at this time and keeping my resume on file for other possibilities, after only 2 business days which was considerate even if not entirely truthful. The second was that the recruiter was professional and someone whom I would consider working with again if they worked at another company. I can only hope that the recruiter was as sincere as they seemed in comparison to the panel. In fairness to anyone looking to be hired by MDA, I hope that anyone who reads this post will remember that it is from a certain point of view and things could work out differently for them but it was necessary for me to post my experience because it was a thorough disappointment and waste of time.

Interview Question – Being asked about my former company and what they were doing to get new work through the door and what their stock status was. I answered as best I could as the material that I did reveal was all non-classified but I had not been employed there for sometime which makes me wonder if anyone on the panel had read my resume or if they had me there for another reason other than seriously interviewing me for the position like gathering information on competitors.   Answer Question

Geospatial Analyst Interview

Geospatial Analyst
Gaithersburg, MD

I applied through other source and interviewed at MDA IS.

Interview Details – I had a great interview. I prepared for two weeks making sure I understood the company culture, values and needs. I addressed my passions for the field and how excited I was to be working for such a great company. I enjoyed being able to find the same passion in my interviewer.

Interview Question – nothing that I can recall   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was given what I asked.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Geospati Interview

Geospati

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at MDA IS in August 2010.

Interview Details – Typical Interview, Hiring Manager spoke about what types of projects the company has done in the past, and what type of project will be done during employment.

Interview Question – What are your long term goals?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for MDA IS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MDA IS interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by MDA IS employees and interview candidates.