MDRC Technical Research Assistant Interview Questions & Reviews

3 interviews

2.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Research Assistant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at MDRC.

Spoke with four people. The first, just general interview questions, she answered any initial questions I had. Second, met with a current Technical Research Assistant, had to explain a provided statistical table to her. Third, met with someone in a higher position, went through my programming sample. Finally, met with someone who oversees most of the research, spoke with her about data cleaning and checking. It was unclear which person made the hiring decision.

Interview Questions
  • Had to explain programming sample to someone not familiar with that software package   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MDRC

Anonymous Employee  in  Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at MDRC in June 2012.

Over the phone interview. Asked about previous research experience, if I have ever created variables, entered data, and cleaned data. Much of the emphasis of the interview was exploring how much experience I have had cleaning data on SAS. The Interviewee asked if I would be OK with sitting on SAS data mining and cleaning data for 80%-90% of the time.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MDRC in August 2011.

First there was a 20 minute phone screen, then I went in for 4 interviews of about 30-40 minutes each. Interviews were very basic, talking about my past research projects and experiences with data managements, and general interest in the position. Questions were very general, and I am surprised how they are able to select candidates based on such questions. Most of the interviewers seemed generally uninterested in the interview process; one checked his watch every 5 minutes and had to cut our interview down to about 25 minutes - nothing very substantive came from it. In one interview, I was given a sample data sheet of student grades and and asked to "talk about it." It was very easy, but the interviewer asked a few leading questions based on information I did not have (example: when asked how I would check it for consistency, I answered in regards to the data sheet I had. The interviewer expected me check it for consistency in regards to other data reports.) In my interview with HR, I was told I would told I would get a very quick response (after I told them I had a pending offer elsewhere). I followed up with a phone call 2 days later, at which point they said I would hear back in 4 days. Never heard anything back, after 3 different emails and 2 voicemails. Finally, a month after my interview I received a call about my candidacy.

Interview Questions

Worked for MDRC? Contribute to the Community!