MEC Interactive

MEC Interactive Interview Questions

3.2

Junior Business Intelligence Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at MEC Interactive in February 2012.

I was contacted by a 3rd party recruiter for a position at this company. After speaking with him about the position, I told him I had less than a year of SQL experience, but he told me I would be a good fit because it was junior level. I ended up leaving work early one day to interview in Manhattan.

The company is filled with a lot of young people and it was very casual. I interviewed with 4 people, and I'll break it down into a brief summary. The first was with the IT Director who asked a lot of basic questions about what I was looking for and my background. He told me about the job and what they needed. He asked me a few technical questions as well, mostly database design type questions. Then he dropped a random bomb and said he would be giving a skills test but first I would interview with more people.

The second interview was with a guy who had a very soft voice and I could barely understand what he was saying. It was a basic rundown on my work history and what I knew technically. The next guy was a balding nerdy guy who looked like he played World of Warcraft religiously. He was an antisocial type, rather unfriendly, poor social skills since he liked to cut me off mid-sentence, and acted as if he was a guru at what he did. The last guy was the person I would be working with. He was a very relaxed, humble, and chill person compared to everyone else. He showed me the business intelligence software they were using and also just ran through my work history and what I was looking for.

Finally the IT Director came into the room and gave me the test packet. He wanted to give a test for SSIS as well but didn't. It was a very difficult SQL skills test for such a junior level position. I wasn't told there would be a test until I got to the company so I was very unprepared. I didn't have much syntax memorized or experience with the question cases so I struggled with the test, and it was probably a major reason that they never got back to me.

The process lasted almost 4 hours. I wrapped up with HR, and I told the lady that I didn't expect the skills test since I thought it was a junior level position (0-1 years). She was surprised that the recruiter didn't tell me. Afterwards, I called the recruiter to give him feedback and told him that he never said anything about a skills test. He just said "oh... really?" and pretended like he was sorry and made a mistake. What he was probably thinking about was the next person to call to fill the position so he could get his commission.

It was in a nice location but the IT department was pretty bad, and I had more interviews coming up, so I didn't really mind that they didn't have the courtesy to tell me I didn't get it.

Social Media Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MEC Interactive in June 2011.

This company is an absolute nightmare. I was contacted by a third-party recruiter trying to fill a social media strategist position there. I was very interested in the job as the salary was great and the company has an impressie client list. My first meeting was with the group director and it seemed to go amazingly. She wanted to get me back in later that week to meet with two more people. She also had me sit down that day with the HR person and go through a long process detailing all types of financials and benefits information. I was pretty much asked what it would take in an offe from them that would keep me from accepting a counter-offer from my current employer. All of that seemed like a great sign.

A few days later, I come in to meet with a woman that would be working alongside me as well as the practice director. Both of those interviews seemed to go well, especially with the group director who finished off our meeting by telling me how much he loved my background, our meeting and how he thought I'd be a great fit. He told me I would be hearing from the HR person later that day or the following day regarding the "next steps." (Again, another seemingly great sign).

A few days go by and neither I nor the recruiter hear anything from the company. We were then told that some of the people were out of town and that I'd be hearing from them the following week. A couple of weeks go by and they keep giving us the runaround, and then I hear that they want to give me a test – a few mock examples to see how I'd craft a strategy. I turned it around later that day and was told that they were not only impressed with the turnaround time but my answers. They then asked for my references to do the normal background check type of stuff. A copule of weeks go by and nobody had called my references. I then receive an email saying they are so sorry they haven't been in touch that vacations and business trips have been hectic and I should hear from them after the weekend with their decision and our next steps. They really stressed that this extended time in now way should be taken as a lack of interest in me as a prospective employee. Three weeks go by and neither myself or the recruiter will have our emails or calls returned in a timely fashion. I was finally told by my recruiter that they contacted her and told her that they haven't hired anyone yet and that they are going to pass on me.

To be honest, I was glad that they finally passed because after the runaround that these people gave me, I would've turned down the job anyway. I've never in my life met a more disorganized and unprofessional group than what I dealt with at MEC Interaction. Part of the job search process is going to include passed on, I totally get that, but it's as if these people want you to think you've got the job and then they are too afraid to tell you no. I would avoid these people at all costs unless you like being jerked around, lied to and led on.

I just want to close this by saying that while it may sound like I'm bitter, I really am not. I'm currently employed and really like the place I'm at and just wanted to see what this job was about after they reached out to me. I just wat to make sure that anyone that may interview with MEC Interaction in the future understands that no matter what they tell you or how excited they seem about you, take it with a POUND of salt.

Strategic Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MEC Interactive in August 2010.

1. Describe the difficulty you have been through and how you handled it?
    2. What is the difference between t-test and ANOVO

Interview Questions
    • what's the most difficult challenge you have met and how you handled it? Be specific and tell me what you have learn from it?   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between t-test and ANOVO.   View Answer

Social Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MEC Interactive in March 2010.

Was contacted through Monster about job opening as the HR recruiter thought I would be a good fit for the position. I had a general phone screening that same day and did well. However I was asked to come into the office for a 1:! interview with several division team members the very next day. Although I had very little time to research the company and the position, I still had a good sense of what the position's duties entailed. The website was not very helpful in my process either way.

I met with 3 other people the next day and enjoyed pleasant conversations with 2 of them. They mentioned that the position is a good start but would be unglamorous as it entailed 12 hour workdays on a usual schedule. I ended up also meeting with the director of the team who immediately asked why she should hire me. Although I understand this is a standard interview question, I was caught off-guard by the fact that MEC had contacted me initially and not the other way around. I had an interest in the position but was not begging to work there. The director then continued to ask more audacious questions about how much I knew about MEC and tried to pressure me by describing how awful the position was. In addition, the director began out conversation stating "We are the largest media agency in the US," However I had also just interviewed with another media company, OMD, that week which was actually quite larger. Overall we could both tell it was not a good fit.

As always, I followed up with everyone I met only to never a hear a response from HR until she mentioned they moved forward with another candidate. She gave me another call in the future to say that I would be a better fit for another open position but then never followed up with me after the call even though she said she would. MEC is not a bad company overall but after hearing them tout the fact that they are the largest media agency in the US, they function with the unprofessionalism and disorganization of a small company. Perhaps it's just too many politics.