MGO

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Associate Interview

Senior Associate
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MGO in May 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted through LinkedIn by the firm's recruiter for a senior associate position and came in that Friday to interview separately with the Partner of the Downtown LA office and the Audit Director of the OC office. After the interview, I followed up with a thank you letter and received an offer on Tuesday. The offer was very reasonable.

Interview Question – Both interviewers were very nice, and asked a few short questions to establish my technical skills and competence. Once that was done, the discussion shifted its focus to the future of MGO and the future of myself, and whether or not our paths were similar and compatible. Despite meeting with the audit partner for 1-1.5 hours, I cannot remember a single question due to the fact that the interview felt more like a discussion than an actual interview.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Why I wanted to go: The Partner and Director I interviewed with are truly innovative and inspiring with regards to their general business knowledge and planned audit approach. There is no doubt in my mind that working at the firm would have significantly increased my value as an accounting professional. A quick glance the short history of the firm, the number of office locations MGO has in California, and the firm’s client listing (google queries similar to “minutes macias gini 2013”) shows the trend of a firm filled with growth and opportunity. If there was a governmental auditing firm to build your career at from the start, MGO would be it.

Why I decided not to go: The growing pains of any fast expanding organization will be hard on the staff. Despite management’s efforts to improve both the firm’s image and employee satisfaction during the past few years, a track record of high employee satisfaction was hard for me to establish prior to acceptance (after all, who can really trust a bunch of polarized glass door reviews?). I would be very interested to hear what employees have to say about the firm (good or bad) once some of the changes to the firm’s policies and client listing settle in.

Century City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at MGO in March 2010.

Interview Details – Minimal one phone and one in person. They were desperate and they told me. I waited a few minutes for the process but it went smooth there were no suprises. They have no idea how to hire a IT person.

Interview Question – Nothing hard   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation but I was good anyways

Audit Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MGO.

Interview Details – The interview process was three steps. The first was with the HR manager in the campus. The interviewer looking at my background scheduled the interview with the audit manager in-house at that moment. Then i met with the audit managers at the orange county office. I received the correspondence for the next interview with the partner.

Interview Question – The interview was pretty easy and was based on normal resume and situation based questions, depending upon who you meet.   Answer Question

Walnut Creek, CA

Interviewed at MGO

Interview Details – I was invited to an on campus interview and was interviewed by a partner. The interview questions were very general. "Why MGO?" "What do you expect from MGO?" "What should MGO expect from you?" It lasted for about 30 minutes. Overall, it felt more like a screening rather than an interview. I was told that I would get a response a few days later but have not heard from them since.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be an Audit Associate?   Answer Question

Walnut Creek, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MGO in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied by sending my resume directly to MGO's recruiter after meeting with MGO's employees at Meet the Firms night. A week later, I was contact for a first round on-campus interview. It was your typical 30 minute, one-on-one interview. It was nice that the recruiter had originally also included the name of my interviewer in the invitation email so that I could do some online research.

The interview was not particularly difficult. The interviewer asked questions such as: why MGO? what expectations do you have of MGO? what expectations should MGO have of you? etc. Nothing too out of the box. I felt I had connected with my interviewer and I thought that my interview went well.

I received an email a few days later inviting me to the second round in-house interview. The second round interview had the following itinerary: breakfast, ice breaker, partner panel, manager panel, staff panel, paperwork, and then lunch.

The ice breaker was a necessary evil, I suppose. But it did get all of the applicants talking and that was helpful because we were interviewing in groups as we rotated from one panel to the next.

The partner panel was undoubtedly the toughest as the two partners took turns asking questions. At least it was nice having two other people in the group so that you could take your time to formulate an answer as they talked.

The manager panel wasn't all that much easier because their questions were obviously also from a pre-determined list, but there was definitely less tension. The managers had more set behavioral questions that you could easily find online whereas the partners asked some random questions that were not all that expected (but still weren't too difficult to answer).

The staff panel was basically just a free-for-all. You could ask them any questions you want about MGO and their professional lives at MGO. It was nice to relax and be the one asking questions instead of answering them for a change.

The paperwork portion was simply filling out an employee handout and a writing sample.

Lunch was catered in and everyone ate together.

A few days later, I received the call from one of the partners that had been a part of the interview process and was offered a full-time position starting in the fall.

Interview Question – What motivates you?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Overall, I had a pleasant experience with MGO but I could tell it was not the right fit for me. Everyone at MGO was nice but I didn't feel that connection. Not to mention, MGO was an hour commute from where I currently live and I did not want to drive that far every day.

Ultimately, I accepted another firm's offer because I felt the aforementioned connection from the very beginning and could truly see myself working there.

Interviewed at MGO

Interview Details – Was interviewed but despite checking in on the interview process, MGO never replied as to whether they would or wouldn't extend an offer.

Very Easy Interview

Audit Intern Interview

Audit Intern
Sacramento, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MGO in April 2012.

Interview Details – Received the interview through Meet the Firms, I was excited at first but we had a group interview and it was a very disappointing experience. There was no 1 on 1 time so it was hard for me to tell who they would choose. There were many qualified candidates and I didn't know how they would choose the best one since there was only one interview. After the interview they took at least a month to get back to us when they said it would only take a week.

Interview Question – Why Accounting?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MGO in June 2010.

Interview Details – Yoke needs to apply for the open positions on the website,.human resources contacted me first and asked if I was interested in a phone interview. Phone interview was simple. Then they asked for a in house interview where there was a manager and a partner present. Talked about why accounting, auditing

Interview Question – Why accounting   Answer Question

Audit Associate

The process took a day - interviewed at MGO in March 2011.

Interview Details – Asked about background. How gpa reflects my ability

Interview Question – How your GPA reflects your ability.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Accountant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at MGO in January 2007.

Interview Details – Very professional and cordial experience. Got a lot out of the interview process as in experience in being in that situation

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for MGO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MGO interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by MGO employees and interview candidates.