MGO

Updated Nov 22, 2014
Updated Nov 22, 2014

2.2

Audit Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at MGO.

I applied through Campus Recruiting, which was relatively easy. First interview was on-campus and I was asked a few questions about what I did at different places I had worked, and how I overcame weaknesses. Most of the first round was ME asking lots of questions (so have quite a few prepared on hand).

I heard back less than a week later about second round office interviews, about six candidates were at the office interviews and we were divided up into two groups and rotated between hearing about the firm, hearing about CPA requirements, and getting to ask questions to current employees, and finally actual one-on-one interviews with partners and managers. The partners and managers asked more detailed questions, less about my skills and job experience and more about me personally ("Describe yourself in three words." "What role do you play in a team?"). Afterwards we all went to lunch.

Audit Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at MGO in October 2014.

it took one week to get the 2nd round interview.there was a group interview.we were 4 groups and there were 4 people in each team.1- ICE breaker 2- partners interview,you dont have enough time to ask your questions they are not interested also.3-written assessment 4- staff panel,you can talk about everything you likes. 5- lunch .Its an unorganized process.

Audit Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MGO.

The interview process was three steps. The first was with the HR manager in the campus. The interviewer looking at my background scheduled the interview with the audit manager in-house at that moment. Then i met with the audit managers at the orange county office. I received the correspondence for the next interview with the partner.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was pretty easy and was based on normal resume and situation based questions, depending upon who you meet.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at MGO in May 2014.

I was contacted through LinkedIn by the firm's recruiter for a senior associate position and came in that Friday to interview separately with the Partner of the Downtown LA office and the Audit Director of the OC office. After the interview, I followed up with a thank you letter and received an offer on Tuesday. The offer was very reasonable.

Interview Questions
    • Both interviewers were very nice, and asked a few short questions to establish my technical skills and competence. Once that was done, the discussion shifted its focus to the future of MGO and the future of myself, and whether or not our paths were similar and compatible. Despite meeting with the audit partner for 1-1.5 hours, I cannot remember a single question due to the fact that the interview felt more like a discussion than an actual interview.   View Answer

Why I wanted to go: The Partner and Director I interviewed with are truly innovative and inspiring with regards to their general business knowledge and planned audit approach. There is no doubt in my mind that working at the firm would have significantly increased my value as an accounting professional. A quick glance the short history of the firm, the number of office locations MGO has in California, and the firm’s client listing (google queries similar to “minutes macias gini 2013”) shows the trend of a firm filled with growth and opportunity. If there was a governmental auditing firm to build your career at from the start, MGO would be it.

Why I decided not to go: The growing pains of any fast expanding organization will be hard on the staff. Despite management’s efforts to improve both the firm’s image and employee satisfaction during the past few years, a track record of high employee satisfaction was hard for me to establish prior to acceptance (after all, who can really trust a bunch of polarized glass door reviews?). I would be very interested to hear what employees have to say about the firm (good or bad) once some of the changes to the firm’s policies and client listing settle in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

I was invited to an on campus interview and was interviewed by a partner. The interview questions were very general. "Why MGO?" "What do you expect from MGO?" "What should MGO expect from you?" It lasted for about 30 minutes. Overall, it felt more like a screening rather than an interview. I was told that I would get a response a few days later but have not heard from them since.

Audit Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MGO in November 2013.

Got the opportunity to interview with various partners in multiple offices. People were easy to talk to and accessible by email and phone after our initial in person interview. It is clear that leaders of the organization are very passionate about their contributions to the organization and very good client servers. After meeting with people in multiple offices it was clear that the firm lives the one focus firm. I interviewed and worked in other firms nothing that other firms that talk about one firm focus but do not even get closed to living to that standard.

Interview Questions
    • What factors affect your ability to be successful at our firm   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MGO in October 2013.

I applied by sending my resume directly to MGO's recruiter after meeting with MGO's employees at Meet the Firms night. A week later, I was contact for a first round on-campus interview. It was your typical 30 minute, one-on-one interview. It was nice that the recruiter had originally also included the name of my interviewer in the invitation email so that I could do some online research.

The interview was not particularly difficult. The interviewer asked questions such as: why MGO? what expectations do you have of MGO? what expectations should MGO have of you? etc. Nothing too out of the box. I felt I had connected with my interviewer and I thought that my interview went well.

I received an email a few days later inviting me to the second round in-house interview. The second round interview had the following itinerary: breakfast, ice breaker, partner panel, manager panel, staff panel, paperwork, and then lunch.

The ice breaker was a necessary evil, I suppose. But it did get all of the applicants talking and that was helpful because we were interviewing in groups as we rotated from one panel to the next.

The partner panel was undoubtedly the toughest as the two partners took turns asking questions. At least it was nice having two other people in the group so that you could take your time to formulate an answer as they talked.

The manager panel wasn't all that much easier because their questions were obviously also from a pre-determined list, but there was definitely less tension. The managers had more set behavioral questions that you could easily find online whereas the partners asked some random questions that were not all that expected (but still weren't too difficult to answer).

The staff panel was basically just a free-for-all. You could ask them any questions you want about MGO and their professional lives at MGO. It was nice to relax and be the one asking questions instead of answering them for a change.

The paperwork portion was simply filling out an employee handout and a writing sample.

Lunch was catered in and everyone ate together.

A few days later, I received the call from one of the partners that had been a part of the interview process and was offered a full-time position starting in the fall.

Interview Questions

Overall, I had a pleasant experience with MGO but I could tell it was not the right fit for me. Everyone at MGO was nice but I didn't feel that connection. Not to mention, MGO was an hour commute from where I currently live and I did not want to drive that far every day.

Ultimately, I accepted another firm's offer because I felt the aforementioned connection from the very beginning and could truly see myself working there.

Audit Associate Interview

Was interviewed but despite checking in on the interview process, MGO never replied as to whether they would or wouldn't extend an offer.

Audit Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MGO in April 2012.

Received the interview through Meet the Firms, I was excited at first but we had a group interview and it was a very disappointing experience. There was no 1 on 1 time so it was hard for me to tell who they would choose. There were many qualified candidates and I didn't know how they would choose the best one since there was only one interview. After the interview they took at least a month to get back to us when they said it would only take a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Century City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Century City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at MGO in March 2010.

Minimal one phone and one in person. They were desperate and they told me. I waited a few minutes for the process but it went smooth there were no suprises. They have no idea how to hire a IT person.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation but I was good anyways