MIND Research Institute

Interviews for Top Jobs at MIND Research Institute

Mathematician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MIND Research Institute in October 2014.

A few days after applying for the position, I was contacted by HR and scheduled a phone interview for the following week. A few days after the interview, they followed up via email and scheduled an in-person interview the next week. Overall, it took about three weeks from my initial application to the last interview.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions weren't too difficult, but one that gave me a little difficulty was something like: "How can you use your experience (volunteering abroad) in this position to make yourself a better employee?"   Answer Question

Development Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MIND Research Institute.

A recruiter reached out to me and I had a series of interviews with different members of the management team. Since most of the managers have a sales background and have never run a non-profit and don't understand fundraising, their questions were not very thoughtful or applicable to the position.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I was married and if I had children. When I responded, yes, I was asked "who would take care of my children since this job is very demanding".   View Answer

The organization is run like a start up software company, and appeared to be masquerading as a non-profit to drive software sales and use philanthropy to discount the software. Most non-profit professionals have an ethical issue with this.

MIND Research Institute Response

Sep 26, 2014VP, HR and Talent

We are disappointed to hear about your interview experience with the Development department. With that said, the Development department hasn’t existed in the past 12 months. Our Philanthropic ... More

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MIND Research Institute.

Agressive hiring process. 3 interviews. Inappropriate questions throughout interview process by certain people, but didn't really care, just noticed it was an unusual line of questioning.

Interview Questions
    • Personal question that was easy to answer, but absolutely inappropriate for an interview.   View Answer
    Yes. It worked out fine for me.

Senior Mathematics Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MIND Research Institute in April 2010.

Series of relatively informal interviews, discussing my prior experience. All really came down to talking with the CTO and being able to demonstrate a high level of competence and integrity concerning mathematics and education, and a passion to be a part of a solution to the enormous problems facing math education in the US.

Interview Questions
    • Very unlikely to be asked any canned questions - much more likely to be asked in detail to justify your reasoning or thinking   Answer Question