MISO Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2015

3.3

Ftr Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MISO (Indianapolis, IN) in March 2015.

Interview

Only phone interview. The interview was...weird. HR sent a email one week before the schedule. The phone interview was with a manager in MISO's FTR group. It seems like the manager did not want to make the call at all. My guess is that the HR sent resume to the manager; and the manager was not interested in the resume but still called considering that HR sent it to him. I would say that the interviewer had unfriendly tone and asked only two general questions before the call ended in only 10 min. The major reason for this, I guess, is that they are only interested in someone with directly related experience (maybe the experience on exactly the same position in other ISOs)

Interview Questions

• In my case I would say that the interviewer had unfriendly tone and asked only two general questions (the call lasted for only 10 min). But if you do had directly related experience I think there would be technical questions regarding your experience with ISO's FTR group.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MISO.

Interview

After submitting an application, was contacted by recruiters within a couple of weeks with two interview day options. \

Was given very short notice to accept interview opportunity.

Interview was in open conference room with cohorts of mid-level functional managers and senior employees

4 rounds of interviews with basic behavioral questions and some technical questions.

Each interview was 30-40 minutes long.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through steps of tackling a problem challenge for which you have inadequate information?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negotiable

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MISO.

Interview

The interviewers were extremely pleasant and informative about the position and the company. They asked mostly typical, behavioral questions. One nice thing was that they actually provided feedback when they thought an answer was a good one. Interesting, as most interviewers will put on their poker face and not let anything slip out about how they think you're doing. Have not received an offer or ding yet.

Interview Questions

• "Tell us about a time that you were just unmotivated."   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at MISO in April 2014.

Interview

Had an interview with the representatives from different departments. Many of them require coding abilities including SQL, C++, JAVA. However, programming is not required for many positions including engineering. Prior to hire, there was a background checking and drug test. Very good amenities to the interns (Provide with free housing)

Supply Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at MISO (Carmel, IN).

Interview

Mine was an open discussion years ago. Now they use standard behavior questions.

Corporate Recruiting Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at MISO.

Interview

They do behavioral interviewing (i.e. tell me about a time you encountered...). Be sure to answer each question with an example, what exactly you did to handle the situation and the end result.

Interview Questions

• Be sure to answer each question thoroughly. Each answer is scored and your total score can determine if you get the job or not.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered 24.00 per hour and I asked for 25.00/hour. They met me in the middle at 24.50.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at MISO (Carmel, IN) in September 2013.

Interview

Technical phone screen, then in person behavioral interview (recommended to use the STAR method).

Interview

Phone interview followed by onsite interview. Phone interview is about 30 mins with general resume questions. Onsite interview one hour with STAR behavioral interview questions. Not a single technical question.

Interview Questions

• Don't remember exact questions but all behavioral questions where you have to describe what you did in a particular situation in the past.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MISO in March 2013.

Interview

Applied through online portal for internship program. Accepted to do one-day on-site interview. The one day consisted of orientation and information about MISO and their operations and tours for the first half and interviewing for the second half. We went around to 3 or 4 different teams within MISO to talk with them about what they do and for them to ask us questions. The teams asked about some of my experience and whether some of their projects sounded interesting. They asked how my experience could help them on those projects.

Interview Questions

• "What do you know about converting bus/branch system models to node/breaker system models?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

As is typical, there were no negotiations for the internship offer. The terms were good though (compensated housing).

Ftr Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MISO (Carmel, IN) in December 2010.

Interview

This was an internal interview. I was told I was one of the top candidates but could not get an offer due to a hiring freeze that had happened immediately after I interviewed.

STAR interview techniques (situation, task, action, and response) on areas of technical experience, managing risk, and behaviors (like conflict). Knowing where the job fit within the company helped.

They have a standardized format of questions to ask in categories. They like to see answers to all questions. Be prepared with examples of your prior work experience to aid in the STAR technique.