MIT

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Assistant II

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MIT.

Interview Details – I was hired through a temporary agency for a part time position, had one phone interview and was asked to come in. Then I grew within my department to a permanent position after 6 months.

Interview Question – How long do you plan on staying around?   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at MIT.

Interview Details – Easy to communicate with hiring team, very personable. Thorough, 3 step interview process beginning with support staff and ending with upper level faculty and administration. All my questions were answered.

Interview Question – Don't recall   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to get the starting salary I asked for, but the Institute is not generous with raises.

Cambridge, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at MIT in February 2011.

Interview Details – Rule #1: Sign up with a staffing agency. Find out what agencies the school you want to work at utilizes and sign up with them. This was the key component of getting the great position that I have. The agency will help you tweak your resume, etc. Working with them really serves as a pre-interview.

MIT is looking for people who know their stuff. Make sure you have some background in Academia and emphasize your ability to work cross-departmentally. Eventually everyone works together so you have to be a team player.

Interview Question – Do you really expect to make between x & y dollars?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I recommend finding out how much other people in a similar position make before you accept a salary offer because they like to low ball you. You can also negotiate other perks like "flex-time" in the summer and flexible hours during regular work weeks. Make sure the manager is very clear in what your job responsibilities will be before you accept the job. That way, if they want to add onto your duties later you can make sure you are compensated properly.

Interviews for Top Jobs at MIT

Worked for MIT? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MIT Administrative Assistant II interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by MIT employees and interview candidates.